GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my brand-spankin'-new-fresh-out-of-the-crate '07 Metallic Black ABS GL Saturday morning.

As recently as two weeks ago, the Wing was the last bike I would ever consider owning. But, after spending the past few days on an '06 ABS - doing some day rides and daily commuting, I now can't see myself riding anything else. (Kudos to my dealer for allowing me the extended demo.)

Guess I'm officially a card-carrying geezer now.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Welcome to the club :D

Geezer???? Who ya calling a geezer?????? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm just Santa in motorcycle clothing :lol: :lol: :lol:

After 20 Harley's, I like the wing a lot, going to trike ours out, now that's geezerdom :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, any bike that willl do wheelies, run 130 plus, corner like a sport bike, tow a trailer like a 18 wheeler, hall the goodies you can stuff into it, ummmm, geezer bike??? Wanna Race???? :wink:

Have a blast with your new ride....

G

·
TowJam said:
Picking up my brand-spankin'-new-fresh-out-of-the-crate '07 Metallic Black ABS GL Saturday morning.

As recently as two weeks ago, the Wing was the last bike I would ever consider owning. But, after spending the past few days on an '06 ABS - doing some day rides and daily commuting, I now can't see myself riding anything else. (Kudos to my dealer for allowing me the extended demo.)

Towjam, Go back to that HD website your registered with and tell them all about your new Goldwing and let us know what the say.......... :shock:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Congradulations on the new toy. Be very careful as it is hard to stop once you get on it. Short little trips turn into all day rides. If you don't ride two up with the better half, they complaint you are never around. Little chores around the house now need you to run after a nail or a screw. I got some jobs that I have been working on for three years. Enjoy the ride, have a great timeand may there be many riding adventures to come your way.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I'm sure you'll get miles and miles of enjoyment out of it.

Dep

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Good luck with your new wing ... See you on the road.

I see you purchased the right color 8)

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
congrats -I see you have had the BMW what do you like better about the wing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wi_Winger said:
Towjam, Go back to that HD website your registered with and tell them all about your new Goldwing and let us know what the say.......... :shock:
Yeah, should be interesting. I was one of the first (if not the first) '07 owner to post when I picked up my Low Rider. At that time, I had no intention of only keeping it a few months but after 2200 miles, I still haven't gotten use to the slammed suspension, buffeting off the windshield and the searing engine heat. In fact, due to the engine heat I had to stop commuting to work on it during the latter part of the summer. I was looking at going back to a Road Glide but once I put the numbers down on paper and saw that the Wing wasn't going to be that much more expensive, it was a no brainer. I'll always have a soft spot for Harleys and in a perfect world, I keep one in my garage alongside whatever else I own but I can't ju$tify it at this point.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Although I'm an 18 year old trapped inside a 50 year olds body, I can't even think of my GW as a "geezer" bike. It is just to swift and nimble to be considered as such.
Welcome to the best riding bike in the world and the best board for all those questions you'll be asking :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
laen said:
congrats -I see you have had the BMW what do you like better about the wing?
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I never seriously considered the Wing until I finally test rode it. Otherwise, I could easily have ended back up on an RT or Harley, There are things about the RT that I actually prefer over the Wing - the lighter weight, flickability, simplicity of maintenance and the canbus electronics. But after spending a few days on the Wing, I could never go back to a boxer engine. The Wing is quicker, smoother and more planted. A more fair comparison would probably be between the new K1200GT and the Wing but I've not ridden the GT.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Are you following me? :lol: :lol:

VTX1800, ST1300, now GW. Welcome aboard. It's a great bike. :wink:

TowJam said:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Welcome.

I am glad to see that you are man enough to make a decision based on what you like and what is best for you, rather than what may be perceived as cool - even by you.

I bought my first Wing as a teenager. The year was 1977 and I bought a 1975 GL1000 second hand. I added a Vetter fairing and trunk with built in backrest. I also added an AM/FM stereo.

I loved that bike and I never worried about the cool factor.

No matter what you do someone won't agree with you or like your choices, so make sure you stay as true to yourself as you can.

You will find yourself smiling as you ride past some of the "cool guys" as you ride on in comfort that they have never known and rolling on miles that they won't believe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JP3 said:
I am glad to see that you are man enough to make a decision based on what you like and what is best for you, rather than what may be perceived as cool - even by you..
Hey, I gave up cool the moment I took delivery of the R1200GS.

:lol:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing !

BTW...it's also a good shopping cart. I stepped out of the grocery store today with 8 bags of groceries. (Bread, over 25 Lbs of chicken, sale on Boneless, skinless Breasts and 7 Lbs of wings and misc).

The woman in front of me, who checked out and was next to my bike, laughed when she saw me approaching the bike and said, "You'll NEVER get those bags in there!". I told her about many a folk being a "Nay-Sayer" and told her to "JUST WATCH" !!!

Needless to say, I got all 8 bags into the wing, with room left over in the right saddlebag. She was amazed, and said she would have to talk to her hubby that rides a Harley, coz he can't even bring home a loaf of bread without squishing it.

I snickered and said, "I hear ya, and another good thing about this one is that I don't wake up my neighbors when I go to work at 6am Sunday morning" She agreed wholeheartedly.

:lol:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey towjam, WELCOME! Should we call yuh tow or call yuh jam. Can we get peanut buttuh with that? :lol: In the 18 posts in this thread, so far only Tony mentioned "you got the right color" so now all you need is for someone to tell you "you got the fastest color" and you're officially inducted. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Enjoy the ride towjam....on the bike and :yes: ON THE BOARD! :yes: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
n9frp said:

BTW...it's also a good shopping cart. I stepped out of the grocery store today with 8 bags of groceries. (Bread, over 25 Lbs of chicken, sale on Boneless, skinless Breasts and 7 Lbs of wings and misc).
I'm gettin' confused here Jerry. All I can visualize from this is a 25 pound chicken, with 7 pound wings, and skinless breasts (ain't there laws about that?), riding a goldwing. :shock: :a13:
DC

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dream Catcher said:
n9frp said:

I'm gettin' confused here Jerry. All I can visualize from this is a 25 pound chicken, with 7 pound wings, and skinless breasts (ain't there laws about that?), riding a goldwing. :shock: :a13:
DC
When I first read that, I had this visual of an entire Vietnamese family riding a Wing and holding live chickens.

Now THAT would be cool.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts