GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sat on a bike ridden by a little gal shorter than me and was amazed. The bike wasn't lowered, but both of us could sit with our feet flat and our knees bent. All she did was pull the upholstery back and shave the foam wings off and a bit from the center of the saddle. Who'd have thought? She doesn't have to tippy toe, and all but the most extreme speed bumps present no problem. I'm thinking I may shave some foam and have an upholstery shop patch a new front section in, making the seat fit me better, and replacing the section that has the imprinted stitching starting to separate. Win, win! Also, it's far cheaper than a new custom seat. :D

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
That's what I did to my Goldwing seat and my Honda VTX seats and it was cheap to do.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I sat on a bike ridden by a little gal shorter than me and was amazed. The bike wasn't lowered, but both of us could sit with our feet flat and our knees bent. All she did was pull the upholstery back and shave the foam wings off and a bit from the center of the saddle. Who'd have thought? She doesn't have to tippy toe, and all but the most extreme speed bumps present no problem. I'm thinking I may shave some foam and have an upholstery shop patch a new front section in, making the seat fit me better, and replacing the section that has the imprinted stitching starting to separate. Win, win! Also, it's far cheaper than a new custom seat. :D
Us boys in Texas had to cut out the foam between our legs so our package could sit in a lower section of the seat so as to not ride and be uncomfortable. LOL

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
You may reconsider if you have an electric seat heat element, that is...

·
Vendor
17,219 Posts
Most custom seat are 1" lower. You might consider that route also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you don't have an electric knife...a bread slicing knife will also do a neat job. B.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Us boys in Texas had to cut out the foam between our legs so our package could sit in a lower section of the seat so as to not ride and be uncomfortable. LOL
More info than I needed. :eek: But, along those lines, I couldn't ride with just the seat pan under there. :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have cut foam with a electric butcher knife for years for camera case ect. and does a great job. Just do not rush the cut, if you rush it the form will pull and not give a clean smooth cut. As others have said, do the cutting on the bottom to preserve the upper shape of the foam so it will still match the seat cover.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Great idea!
Yes, but cut foam from the very bottom as it doesn't change the way the vinyl covers the seat. No sags or wrinkles if you pull tight and staple underneath. Mess with the wings and it will droop.

If you don't have an electric knife...a bread slicing knife will also do a neat job. B.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Have both. One for big cuts - electric and the fine cuts manually with the ole bread knife.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts