GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having this bike for about a month genius me *just* realized that instead of tapping the brake to cancel the cruise control, I can just twist the throttle forward to cancel it. I had a 2013 for six years and it wouldn't surprise me if I could have done the same with that one. :oops:

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
DOH........ I guess I'm not alone...:wink2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
After having this bike for about a month genius me *just* realized that instead of tapping the brake to cancel the cruise control, I can just twist the throttle forward to cancel it. I had a 2013 for six years and it wouldn't surprise me if I could have done the same with that one. :oops:
You can also tap the upshift lever. When I come out of cruise I find that if you apply some throttle carefully while tapping the upshift lever you can transition out smoothly without even feeling it. :thumbup:

·
15 year Member
6,897 Posts
I actually AGREE with your assessments.....

No argument here!!

Mattbcnv

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can also tap the upshift lever. When I come out of cruise I find that if you apply some throttle carefully while tapping the upshift lever you can transition out smoothly without even feeling it. :thumbup:
Doh! I see several of you beat me to the +/- recommendation. That Fenry always beats me to the punch :mad:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Um, don’t feel too awful bad. I will not disclose how long I have been riding Goldwings and never knew tapping anything other than the hand break lever canceled the cruise. Other techniques were brought to my attention at a recent breakfast meeting. Boy, talk about feeling stupid. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
For all "routine" cancellations, I always tap the clutch lever. And always avoided whenever possible using the throttle. Feels like the cables are being forced in the wrong direction i.e. pushing vs. pulling as designed.

Reactions: schnits

·
Registered
771 Posts
Throttle

For all "routine" cancellations, I always tap the clutch lever. And always avoided whenever possible using the throttle. Feels like the cables are being forced in the wrong direction i.e. pushing vs. pulling as designed.
Never knew this, and knowing this would never do it, like greyhound said.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I didn't know that about turning the throttle forward, so thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I too use a slight movement of the clutch lever to cancel cruise.

Regarding the throttle, there are two cables and you are always pulling one while 'pushing' the other. The second cable (the one you normally 'push') is a safety feature that allows you to force the throttle closed if it ever becomes stuck open for any reason. The 'kill switch' is another safety feature within easy reach that, for most people, is not normally used.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Dont think there are cables. Throttle by wire I think.
Nope; cables. TBW not until '18.

Edit: but I now see that the OP apparently owns an '18.. I was speaking to my own experiences with my "ancient '02".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks, put me on the "duh" list. 3 weeks and 1400 miles, been using the brakes. I like the clutch idea better. :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Been riding the previous gen 1800 for 6 years. Always used the front brake lever to cancel the cruise, until I went riding with another winger this spring. He says "Noticed you flash the brake lights a lot. Canceling the cruise?" He suggested tapping the clutch lever so I don't make the brake light needlessly flash the drivers behind me. DOH!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts