GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, :p

I boo-booed and post this to the tech board while leaning my way around this place.

It's only been a couple months, but I sure missed you all. I took some time away to get my shop done and then I got slammed with business (which helps me support my habits).

I like the new board format and am glad no one else got my handle before I got back.

I haven't ridden the bike since the Chiliburger run in October, except for the Olympia Toy Run (6500 bikes in Decemberrrr). I finally got “yellow spot” to overheat, but not boil over, during the run. Shifting to second and coasting wherever possible cooled her right down. I guess I’ll make that appointment for the new ECM soon.

My little ride (1,114 miles) to Horseshoe Bend, Idaho for a Chiliburger, and back, earned my official membership to the Dark Side. I got my e-mail from Michael Kneebone and should get my new license plate backer soon. Now I’m thinking I need to run the Trans-Canada this year with IB-Mike and the MTF guys.

I got a couple e-mails about gluing the front fender extension on recently. If anyone still needs questions answered, I’ll be happy to. Or, you can check this link: http://home.comcast.net/~ridetolive1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-855493.html The glue is holding up just fine, but I need to install the Bushtec support before the riding season starts up again.

I’ve got a neat design for the cover of the great CD Jon put together of our ’03 Mountain Run (all 2.5 miles of it). We’ll have to talk about doing it again this year (later in the season?), so we can pass out CDs. We still haven’t put a list of attendees together, but the CD is AWESOME!!!

Bulldog was right, the shop filled up pretty fast, but I’ve still got plenty of room to work on stuff, and park, and take a shower if I want.

The time away from the board was hard, but productive!

Now I’ve got some serious reading to do…

·
Registered
271 Posts
What a great shop!!!!!

How big??? I saw the pic on the tech board of just the bike in it. I wonder how long it will take to fill it up?? LOL It looks like they did a great job on the concrete floor.

My shop is 1,200 sq ft...I thought it was huge, but it has 4 bikes in it 2 tractors, a 12x30 shop and a Haulmark trailer. I should have made it 1,800 sq ft. The trailer is outside until I re-arrange some things.

It seems as if they are never big enough, but your shop just might be.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Glad to see you made the switch. I had wondered if you had made it or if you changed your name. I hope to build a 40X60 building some day. That will be able to house all the toys. The bikes take up the whole garage and the new truck has to set outside now.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Quickdraw,
Do you think you can get rid of those pictures before Gary sees them and feels deprived? What a great shop.
Mikey

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shooter Indy said:
How big???
It's really only 42x32, but I waited 20 years for it! I shot the pics wide angle to make it look huge! :p Man it has been nice to do what little work out there that I have. Heat it up, turn on the lights (all 22 8' fixtures if I want), and spread out. It looks a lot smaller now with all the stuff in it. It was nice to pull in a full size van a month ago to apply vinyl logos. Last week I had 3 computer systems spread out on the benches to make 'em ready to sell. I could go on and on,

Now when momma sends me to the dog house, I go willingly. :D

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wingman said:
I hope to build a 40X60 building some day. That will be able to house all the toys.
Only if you limit the amount of toys you collect :p

Might as well make it 1/2 acre under cover! Bet you'd still fill it up.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gary & Mikey said:
get rid of those pictures
Mikey,

You can send Gary up for a visit and have him make a couple payments. He won't feel so underprivileged then!!

I finished moving in just before our annual Toy Run and was able to have a real nice Garage Warming party after the run. One of my CMA buds did a very nice blessing to close the party. Makes me feel real safe out there!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Quickdraw,

You have been AWOL way too long. Good to see you back and up and running.

My little shop is 24 X 36, and I need to add three bays. I remember when your shop was an open air palace. Nothing like having a nice warm/cool shop to work in, with all the tools and plenty of light for us old farts.

I truly hope that you had a nice holiday season and I hope that this new year brings you everything that you and your family hope for.

All The Best.

Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Welcome back, Dayle!!

Bulldog's been trying to keep everyone in check, but it'll be nice to have you back on the board again - helps even things out a bit...

I really like the looks of the shop - Ya done good!

:lol:

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bulldog

I hope I filled it to your expectation! I've still got lots of overhead room to fill with racks for "light" storage. Cindy and I did have a nice holiday. I hope you did too.

Jon, so sorry to hear about your mom. At least the suffering is over.

Thanks for the welcome guys. It will be a good M/C season if I don't have to work all the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Moved into my new shop 40x60 about two years ago. It's taken all of that time (and I'm still not done) to get it arranged so I can find what I need without wandering arround for 20 minutes trying to figure where I left it last. If you thing a screwdriver can escape quickly in a regular size garage, you ought to see how far they can get away in 2400 sq. ft.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Willing to be a guide?

Quickdraw,

The group that I ride with is planning a "Wild West Trip" this summer. Starting in Missoula, Montana were planning in taking in Glacier National Park, Banf National Park in Canada and then angling southwest towards Seattle. When we get to the Seattle area you think you can clue us in to the "must see" attractions? Here's a link to our website. http://www.dawsongang.com/rides.htm Maybe you can show us Easteners at thing or two about mountains :D .

Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You bet Dean,

I know that if you post that question as a new thread, you'll get some good responses from the guys out here. I have yet to do the Canadian Rockies, but I've heard about those parks and the Ice Fields. Not to be missed.

In Washington, my favorites are the North Cascades Highway (20), the road all the way through Mt Rainier National Park, and Hwy 131 South of Randell and East of Mt St Helens (AKA Forest Service Road 25). The road from I-5 to the Mt St Helens West Side Visitors Centers is in like-new condition and the views are otherworldly.

Hurricane Ridge

at the top of that Olympic Peninsula is BEAUTIFUL as is Chuckinut Drive. Jeff from Ferndale can tell you much more about that than I. If you've never been to a rain forest... Do Hwy 101 on the coast and stop in at the Hoh or Quinault then run out to Westport for an oyster ( I didn't like 'em either until I had a fresh one!!!) You must also stop at Ruby Beach and check out the seastacks.

If you like downtown city stuff, Fisherman's wharf in Seattle is a kick and the view from the Space Needle is cool.

Shoot me a note when you know when you'll be in the area, I'll do some riding with y'all If you have Mapsource (for a Garmin), I can send a file with some of these roads highlighted for you.

Do not miss hwy 49 from Kiowa to East Glacier on the SE side of the park while you're in Montana (whoopiiiiiii).

Last year's lunch ride to Glacier NP

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quickdraw, where's your picture of Mt. Rainier?

Dean, QD will possibly post his picture (snow and all) of Mt. R.....

here's one taken during the riding season......

Must see!!

Paul H.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Paul, I'm going to have to come visit one day. I went to 7th & 8th grade in Moses Lake (that was before McDonalds).

This is one of my favorite shots of Mt Rainer. From the Inaugural, now infamous, 2.5 mile Mountain Run.

Mid May is s little early to try to cross the park!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quickdraw said:
Mid May is s little early to try to cross the park!
But it sure makes for some great photos, stories to tell later, and gave the NW GL1800riders a reputation for being crazy! :a13:

I'm game for the same this year!!!! :D

LET'S RIDE!!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the snowfall we've already had it might not be possible in May to get up to the top, let alone across.

I wish I had more time to get current on this board and get to the MTF so I can at least think about the Trans-Canada.

Let's start another thread about a 2.5 mile ride for late May? If we get some early heat we might be able to get up there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quickdraw,

That's the picture I was thinking about. Maybe I'm getting soft but somehow the picture I took just looks more inviting to me.

Hey, by the way, we have hit the big time. We have two McDonalds, two Arby's and two Burger Kings now (whoohoo).

Paul H.

P.S. QD, I don't know if you got the PM but I am still looking forward to making that Hurricane Ridge ride someday. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts