GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Took the Wing to the dealer, "they say they adjusted the cable" It work well for the first few times. I let it sit for a week and went out today to back it out of the garage and same old, same old. Hit the button, spinning sound, rocked it back and forth and it grabbed a little.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. Should just cash in this extended warranty. They don't know how to work on these 18's and 19's. What are the name of those CD's for working on your 18 wings. Maxxes or something?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Took the Wing to the dealer, "they say they adjusted the cable" It work well for the first few times. I let it sit for a week and went out today to back it out of the garage and same old, same old. Hit the button, spinning sound, rocked it back and forth and it grabbed a little.
Had the same problem. Had cable adjusted. Reverse would work for awhile, then the same problem as you have (spinning sound, rock it back and forth, grab a little, work again, then fail again). Finally my dealer recognized that something was wrong, called Honda techline. Who told the dealer to take the reverse mechanism apart, clean it, and lubricate it, and then readjust it. Has worked fine ever since. The work was covered under warranty. Perhaps pass this on to your dealer? Good luck.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I love Fred's video series, but at this time he has not covered this problem. Service manual will be a great resource if you are going to assume the work yourself. You can count on us to help you through and Fred may be one of the first to offer.

prs

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I love Fred's video series, but at this time he has not covered this problem. Service manual will be a great resource if you are going to assume the work yourself. You can count on us to help you through and Fred may be one of the first to offer.

prs
Correct. Since Fred has a DCT which the reverse is controlled by the transmission. Nothing to adjust.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't been on for awhile. WORK. The Wing has been at the dealer for a week and a half. The service manager thinks the reverse gear has spun out and needs replaced. Not sure that's right because when you rock it back and forth, it grabs. They are actually getting into it this time. I got it up for sale at this point. Big disappointment. Riding my VFR 1200 DCT. If I go back to a Wing in the future, it won't be a 18-19 and up. Not sold on the stability on the highway blasting by a 18 wheeler and all. Much more on my 05. Anybody interested, for sale at what I owe $20K. only 1100 miles. I realize, there are new ones for the same $$. Has the trunk kit and Heli bar accessories along with a extended transferable warranty until 2027. Pics in my profile. A few $$ savings there...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Haven't been on for awhile. WORK. The Wing has been at the dealer for a week and a half. The service manager thinks the reverse gear has spun out and needs replaced. Not sure that's right because when you rock it back and forth, it grabs. They are actually getting into it this time. I got it up for sale at this point. Big disappointment. Riding my VFR 1200 DCT. If I go back to a Wing in the future, it won't be a 18-19 and up. Not sold on the stability on the highway blasting by a 18 wheeler and all. Much more on my 05. Anybody interested, for sale at what I owe $20K. only 1100 miles. I realize, there are new ones for the same $$. Has the trunk kit and Heli bar accessories along with a extended transferable warranty until 2027. Pics in my profile. A few $$ savings there...
So you have a reverse problem and now you're throwing in the towel and selling the bike? Really?
You have a dealer problem......take it elsewhere.

Sounds like you weren't all in from the start.....JMHO

PS - IMHO the DCT FWD/REV crawl is a much nicer setup than the way Honda did it on the manual bikes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Anybody interested, for sale at what I owe $20K. only 1100 miles. I realize, there are new ones for the same $$. Has the trunk kit and Heli bar accessories along with a extended transferable warranty until 2027. Pics in my profile. A few $$ savings there...
You’ll have to take a bath at this time of year, especially since you’ve announced to the world that bike is a lemon and the dealer’s got it.

There is a lesson here for somebody.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, emotional response. Sure the dealer will take care of the reverse. I'ts only one aspect of the bike.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Don't judge. been riding for 40 years. Going back to built in the USA. I'm a Vet. Have my beliefs. Maybe got a lemon. Tired of *** with it.
Not sure what that all has to do with the subject at hand or my response.........but, it's your bike and your decision.
No judging, not sure where that came from......it's my opinion. Did you see the JMHO?

If you throw in the towel with any little issue in todays world you're not going to be satisfied with much of anything......a reverse problem and now it a lemon? Hardly.....
btw - I've been riding for 45-years, if that matters any. :wink2:

·
Registered
466 Posts
what would you get in its place?
He says American. So the only choices are Indian and HD.

Personally I’d rather have the GW, even without reverse. But to each his own.

I like the idea of buying American, but our incredibly greedy and stupid self centered management class have pretty much exported all of our intellectual property and the manufacturing base to bring it to market.

Reactions: laen and INTHEWIND

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
He says American. So the only choices are Indian and HD.

Personally I’d rather have the GW, even without reverse. But to each his own.

I like the idea of buying American, but our incredibly greedy and stupid self centered management class have pretty much exported all of our intellectual property and the manufacturing base to bring it to market.
yea, i agree. a GW with a repaired reverse gear beats either hands down. dont know much about Indians but i know HDs have had engine issues recently. i thought harleys were built in canada, no? perhaps he means American companies

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I can appreciate the spirit of buying American made products. This issue I take with people claiming HD bikes are an American made bike and not foreign made like the Wing. Sure they are “assembled” in America but a large portion of the parts are produced in countries such as Japan, Austria, and Italy to name a few. Id be curious to know where the metals are sourced for the frame? And good luck having better reliability than the Wing with those “American Made” bikes.

I have owned several Harleys and just about every other major Asian brand. I do not pledge allegiance to any manufacturer like one crowd seems to. Ive had better reliability with non American branded bikes, but I also feel people should ride what they prefer since its their hard earned money paying for it.

I understand the 18’ and 19’s are very early bikes for this generation and it will take time to discover and fix manufacturing flaws. I accepted that when I purchased it. As long as Honda stands behind their problems Im ok with whatever happens.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Harley doesn’t disclose where most of the parts are sourced, but industry sources say the company gets them from the U.S., Japan, Italy, Mexico, China, Australia and other countries.
For years, Milwaukee-based Harley has used Showa-brand suspension components from Japan. Brake and clutch parts have come from Italy, wheels from Australia and electronics from across Asia. Their bikes are assembled in America.

By all means ride what makes you happy!

Reactions: El Toro
1 - 20 of 31 Posts