GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the Pirelli snow control mounted up and on the bike.
Had to let the pressure down to about 10psi, and it fell right into place. I think I just got lucky on that though.
I rode for a few miles by myself, have a street that parallels the highway nearby that has a little section of S's and a coutlet of gentle sweepers. I was immediately impressed with the grippy-ness , quietness, and smoothness.
Went back to the house to pick up SWMBO and rode about 35 miles round trip for a chicken dinner. She made it about two blocks and said Oh wow, I can really tell a difference!

We're doing a little overnight trip tomorrow and Saturday, just 2 or 300 miles, maybe a bit more. I expect to be even more impressed after that.

Riding two up, no trailer this trip. Eastern Oklahoma so moderately curvy roads.
Gonna start at 35psi and see how it goes. May play with the air pressure a bit and
see if that makes it better or worse.

Dan

·
Registered
191 Posts
Car tire pressure

Howdy from a neighbor to your north. You're gonna love the car tire. I have ~ 20K miles on my Yokohama Avid Envigor RF and have been very pleased. Keep the pressure in the mid 20 psi range and enjoy the quiet.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
To mount next time just put garbage bag (like ya get when shopping) on tire where it meets fender/frame and it will slide right in welcome to ds.

Reactions: Monk

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Howdy from a neighbor to your north. You're gonna love the car tire. I have ~ 20K miles on my Yokohama Avid Envigor RF and have been very pleased. Keep the pressure in the mid 20 psi range and enjoy the quiet.
Snow control might need a bit more than the avid... especially 2 up. It’s a lighter tire and the sidewalks are a bit more flexible...:grin2:

:thumbup:

Reactions: Monk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I started to grab a plastic bag, but I thought I'd try deflating a bit first.
Couple of wiggles and she dropped right in. I still think I got lucky this time.

Doc, is mid 20s psi a little low for two up?
I'm about 275, but my navigator is a little gal.
I do plan to play with the pressure a bit and see what happens.

And thanks for the reminder Uncle John.
I had heard of the plastic bag trick .
I've learned a ton on this forum just reading answers to everyone else's questions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks revrunt. I was typing while you were posting.
I'm starting out at 35, see how it goes.
The short ride this evening was nice. Quiet, and I immediately saw the difference in handling.
Next up is the shock reservoir refill.
I didn't hear the change in the pump motor until I was all the way up to 13!!!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside!!! When you do that pre-load top off, depending on how far you tear her down to do it, I'd suggest changing out the hose as well. Stainless braided is a great upgrade.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a '12 (don't need new tires now, but will in a year or so). How does the tire pressure warning system work if you have the tire down to 35? If I recall correctly, I have to have mine at around 40 before the light warning goes off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't say. Mine is '04. No TPMS.
I have seen other discussion here about registering the front monitor to the back tire and vice versa.
Over my head, as I don't use them. I check pressure with a tire gauge before a ride and hope for the best.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So my short overnight trip to eastern oklahoma has turned into something else, as usual. We ended up in Harrison Ar. tonight, and will be Tulsa bound in the morning, via Eureka Springs.
I can't complain about the pirelli snow control tire, and 35psi feels right so I'm not messing with the pressure.
We caught a little rain shower this afternoon, and my son was behind me on his Shadow. He said I was throwing quite a rooster tail of water from my back tire.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Dan45t, Keep an eye on the tread wear, you don't want the center to wear out too quick and surprise you. Welcome to the Darkside!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do, and thanks Pooch.
We just got back to Tulsa a few hours ago and did find some rain a few times but the pirelli handled like a champ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts