GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is hearwarming to see the number of people who reply when there is a request for prayer. I have often wondered what form those prayers take. Do people actually form a prayer, sometimes kneel, sometimes in meditation, sometimes aloud, but actually, really remember and intentionally form a conversation with God about the intention that is requested.

From time to time, when I read the responses, I (perhaps mistakenly) feel a sense from some that it is lip service, that no actual prayer occurs. In our family, most of our prayer and intentions are spoken aloud before each meal. We have developed a routine, even when we have guests, to thank God for the days blessings, then mention specific intentions. For example, "we pray that so and so, who was injured in a motorcycle accident today, be under your watchful care......."

Please understand that I am not being critical of anyone, I am just curious, and perhaps a little surprised (but none the less pleased) to see so many people who are willing to put in print that they believe and understand the power of prayer. I pray that all those who promise prayers actually do it, because it is a powerful tool. :superman1:

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I always say the lords prayer then any prayer requests I have commited to...from this board, church, or others...just as I am going to bed...silently...this all started when i was a child... I no longer kneel by the bed though.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)
I'm more along the lines with ABB, just a daily commune with more attention to informal things. :wink:
I like to just kind of cover things as I think............. which can be hard when yer pea sized noggin works slow. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
I don't wind up my God on Sunday or at any regular interval; I'm less formal.
It's more of a conversational tone and we're friends.
Nicely said Bill... like you I don't make appointments. I'm the type of guy who would rather be out riding thinking about god, than being in a church thinking about riding :wink:

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I always thank God for the blessings he keeps giving us. Then I pray for His will to be done for any requests I share with him. I do try to pray to God about every prayer request I read or am told about.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I believe its OK to pray at any time and in any way that is respectful. I sometimes say a prayer when I'm riding. I don't close my eyes then though.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I often think about God when I'm out riding, and I believe He understands when I think about riding when I'm in church. Especially on a beautiful day like today.

I don't always commit to praying for someone, because I don't believe it's a commitment that should be taken lightly. And please don't take offense at that, anyone! My convictions certainly don't make me better than anyone else!

Well, except for my conviction about the superiority of Goldwings over... well, other bikes... but that's for another thread, isn't it? :wink:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
From time to time, when I read the responses, I (perhaps mistakenly) feel a sense from some that it is lip service, that no actual prayer occurs.
I don't think you are mistaken. If you drive down the freeway or go into a shopping mall, you might find a few of the lip service practitioners at work. Just mayby.......

·
Registered
234 Posts
response

Although I rarely write a response - I do stop and ask the Lord to intervene and help or whatever is needed. I understand your concern about lip service - too much of that goes on. But it sounds like many here earnestly "take it to the Lord in prayer."

BTW - there are numerous medically sound studies that show that patients that are prayed for (some knowing it is occuring, some not) statistically do better. One of the first studies done years ago was with heart attack victims - the patients were randomized to either get prayer or not by a group of evangelistic Christians, and the results were statistically significant in terms of lower complications, less days in ICU, etc., even though the two groups were basically the same.

So - write or not - but do pray.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've no set time when I pray. I'm along the lines of ABB in that respect.

I do pray daily, and always mention in my prayers those who I've heard about on this board and other places who are in need of prayer.

I do think that if someone says they are going to keep someone in their prayers, they are making a commitment to do just that. I feel that most on the board here are ones who will follow through.

Dep

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The Bible is very clear about your "yes" being yes and your "no" being no. It's called a vow and again the Bible is very critical of those who make vows and then don't carry through on them. I may or may not pray for anyone in particular - at least in requesting their request be met. I don't always know the people who are asking for prayer for themselves or others. It's obvious that whoever is willing to put such a request out in the open must feel that prayer has some form of power (we know it does!). While it's usually safe to pray that the Lord's will be done, I have trouble trying to be specific if I don't know ALL the facts. Is the person being prayed for a Christian? If not, shouldn't that be our prayer - those of us who believe in God and Jesus Christ - that the person would come to a personal relationship with the Savior? If that person is, then praying that God will use this incident to His glory and intervene to help the person through whatever trial is facing them is in order.

That's why you will see me very seldom respond to a request for prayer. I don't want to be counted as a hypocrite by saying I'll do something and then don't. However, if so led, I will pray for that individual in accordance with the knowledge I have about the situation.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Right then and therein front of the computer screen, while reading the request and responding. I call upon the Lord to watch over any and all involved in the request.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Prayer

I pray specifically for the person/s that are mentioned in a post. I usually don't reply to the post about it I just do it and go on. I never leave my driveway without praying that God would protect us and put his hands on mine on the handlebars.
John

·
Registered
273 Posts
There are so many people who have asked me to pray for them over the months and cumulatively over the years, that it would be pratically impossible to remember them all much less pray for each one individually every day. Yes, I do pray for the more recent ones specifically. I've adopted a practice where I put a little slip of paper with a name on it and put it in a little box on my dresser. Once it goes in there, its like I have put it in the hands of God, he will remember all those intentions even if I can't. It may seem a little juvenile, but its a way of actually offering up a special thought combined with some small action devoted to someone else in prayer, as small as it may seem.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I stop and pray when I read about the request. I don't have any specific time to pray but I do several times a day even when riding I thank Him for the beauty he has created and our ability to enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts