GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not complaining I'm getting way too many FM/AM stations now since I finally got around to experimenting looking for a cure to this problem. I just don't know how to act since my radio on my Tour DCT actually works and acts like a real radio with amazing reception. What a difference an antenna makes. While inside my garage I did an A/B test and switched between the Honda stock antenna and the external and was immediately blown away. An FM station that was unintelligible on the stock antenna was like it was across the street on the external. So at least we know Honda included a receiver that is pretty decent.

As most of you know I did a custom antenna setup on my bike for amateur radio and CB which works really well. I don't use a CB very much so I unscrewed that from the NMO mount and installed a Diamond whip I had laying around. To connect the antenna to the radio I used a Fakra "Z" to SMA cable then into an SMA to N adapter. All of this is using top quality RG400 coax All of this was easy and quick.

My major concern was interference caused by the LED lights knocking signal down. Well, I tested it with lights ON then OFF. Even engine running and I got absolutely no noise and signal stayed strong and clear. I'm glad I can rule my bike out having this problem.

Come this fall I will be designing a hidden antenna that will perform really well and I can screw my CB antenna back on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can't find a thread on the antenna install and parts, my FM reception is lousy. Can you link to it?

·
Registered
388 Posts
where did you install the NMO? I might just use a bulkhead BNC instead.
I will be doing something like yours, but the audio going into the AUX input to the bike.
Then I can listen in my helmet

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find a thread on the antenna install and parts, my FM reception is lousy. Can you link to it?
I know there was several out there were people having reception problems but no real cure. Some were also blaming the poor reception issue on noisy LED lights. The path I'm taking is the cure, but lots of folks don't want to install external whip antennas like the OEM offerings, which basically suck. hat you see on my bike is what I made. So I will be finalizing a decent hidden antenna that give modest gain without being seen.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where did you install the NMO? I might just use a bulkhead BNC instead.
I will be doing something like yours, but the audio going into the AUX input to the bike.
Then I can listen in my helmet
The NMO is an antenna mounting system, I put mine on the custom made mount you see on the back of my bike. You can use a bulkhead BNC but keep in mind it isn't going to be waterproof.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If I were to use the external antenna from the previous model Wing could I expect positive results. You clearly have knowledge about antenna's and if you answered this question I apologize as I do not understand the technical information you supplied. For instance, the previous model antenna wont work, or it is a big improvement but not as good as what you are coming up with or great choice. Sorry for being ignorant but I don't know much except that the one that came with the bike is not good except for really close stations. It works so poorly I am annoyed that it even comes on at all.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I were to use the external antenna from the previous model Wing could I expect positive results. You clearly have knowledge about antenna's and if you answered this question I apologize as I do not understand the technical information you supplied. For instance, the previous model antenna wont work, or it is a big improvement but not as good as what you are coming up with or great choice. Sorry for being ignorant but I don't know much except that the one that came with the bike is not good except for really close stations. It works so poorly I am annoyed that it even comes on at all.
I am not sure how well a previous generation antenna will perform as I never had one. I have only read mixed results on the forums from people that have first hand experience with their Wing. I would guess that it would perform better than what we have now on the 18+ Wings.

Reactions: Bayrec

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been playing around with different antennas to see what gives the best results and I finally settled on the Larsen NMOQ88C, which is just a simple 1/4 wave antenna without any matching in the loading coil (Base). It's basically a unity gain antenna that is tunable from 88Mhz to 135Mhz simply by cutting the whip. Simply put, this thing kicks ass!!! What I don't understand is why Honda's whip antennas don't perform, there's no logical reason why they wouldn't. I know that since I put an external antenna on the bike I listen to the radio more, I guess because now I can! I guess if I get real board I can break out the antenna analyzer or Vector Network Analyzer and trim it till it resonates perfectly mid-band. Bottom line, I'm happy with this setup and the performance it gives. Best part, the antenna is only 33" tall. The nice thing about using the NMO mount is I can switch out antennas for whatever band I need. in a few seconds Gotta love versatility.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd love something with a breakover so I can put the half-cover on.
There are commercially made break-over that screws between the antenna whip and the base. Also the whip is easily unscrewed from the base.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are commercially made break-over that screws between the antenna whip and the base. Also the whip is easily unscrewed from the base.
Could we see some pictures of the mount you made? You did a fantastic job!
I'd like to do the same .

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure how to reference other threads, but this is the one where Crabballs showed off the mount. Did a great job.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the first pic you will see the four protruding threaded posts, this is where the antenna mounting assembly will be bolted to. When finished there will be rubber grommets installed around the posts. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the bracket underneath the plastic as it's a work of art that clamps to the trunk's subframe. Yes, it's firmly mounted and will never come lose or shift. It's easily removed should I want to put the bike back to stock. It is also electrically bonded to the frame for a good ground, which is important.

In the second pic you will see the assembly mounted. This will be trimmed out with a rear camera and pulsating third brake light. This is a slow work in progress project that I do when time permits. Oh, and look at that cute little knob I put on my key access panel.:)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure how to reference other threads, but this is the one where Crabballs showed off the mount. Did a great job.

Thanks for linking that thread.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks Crabballs!
My radio is better now than when I brought the bike home new!
I had the dealer install the Honda LED Foglights. While riding the FM radio reception was disappointing.
After installing the Goldstrike Trunk Light it got far worse!
I did not know that LEDs cause radio interference.
From this forum I read about the ferrite cores to block the radio interference, purchased some but haven't gotten around to add some.
After reading Crabballs' posts I purchased these:
Cable DIN female to Fakra Z 5021 jack Car radio Stereo Aerial Antenna RG58 1FT
ebay
Jensen JAN139 Top or Side Mount 6" Rubber Mast Marine Antenna
amazon

After installing my radio reception is super!
I have the antenna temporarily mounted on my luggage rack and have the Goldstrike flag mount kit coming of which I intend to mount it to.

Great information to solve an annoying problem.
Once again, Thanks Crabballs!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Crabballs!
My radio is better now than when I brought the bike home new!
I had the dealer install the Honda LED Foglights. While riding the FM radio reception was disappointing.
After installing the Goldstrike Trunk Light it got far worse!
I did not know that LEDs cause radio interference.
From this forum I read about the ferrite cores to block the radio interference, purchased some but haven't gotten around to add some.
After reading Crabballs' posts I purchased these:
Cable DIN female to Fakra Z 5021 jack Car radio Stereo Aerial Antenna RG58 1FT
ebay
Jensen JAN139 Top or Side Mount 6" Rubber Mast Marine Antenna
amazon

After installing my radio reception is super!
I have the antenna temporarily mounted on my luggage rack and have the Goldstrike flag mount kit coming of which I intend to mount it to.

Great information to solve an annoying problem.
Once again, Thanks Crabballs!
Glad to have helped. It's so much better that I actually use my radio more often. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts