GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not complaining I'm getting way too many FM/AM stations now since I finally got around to experimenting looking for a cure to this problem. I just don't know how to act since my radio on my Tour DCT actually works and acts like a real radio with amazing reception. What a difference an antenna makes. While inside my garage I did an A/B test and switched between the Honda stock antenna and the external and was immediately blown away. An FM station that was unintelligible on the stock antenna was like it was across the street on the external. So at least we know Honda included a receiver that is pretty decent.

As most of you know I did a custom antenna setup on my bike for amateur radio and CB which works really well. I don't use a CB very much so I unscrewed that from the NMO mount and installed a Diamond whip I had laying around. To connect the antenna to the radio I used a Fakra "Z" to SMA cable then into an SMA to N adapter. All of this is using top quality RG400 coax All of this was easy and quick.

My major concern was interference caused by the LED lights knocking signal down. Well, I tested it with lights ON then OFF. Even engine running and I got absolutely no noise and signal stayed strong and clear. I'm glad I can rule my bike out having this problem.

Come this fall I will be designing a hidden antenna that will perform really well and I can screw my CB antenna back on.

Why didn't you use a splitter and use the original antenna too?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Why didn't you use a splitter and use the original antenna too?
If you're talking about the original antenna on the 2018 Wing it is substandard and will only bring the benefit of the new system down. Splitters also introduce insertion loss. Best to keep everything separate.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you're talking about the original antenna on the 2018 Wing it is substandard and will only bring the benefit of the new system down. Splitters also introduce insertion loss. Best to keep everything separate.
I am using the both antennas, but I will try to use external one only, to see the difference...
I couldn't have found the Honda original antenna plug and I've used the original connector,
soldered a standard antenna plug and using a splitter, connected the both of them to the unit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am not sure how well a previous generation antenna will perform as I never had one. I have only read mixed results on the forums from people that have first hand experience with their Wing. I would guess that it would perform better than what we have now on the 18+ Wings.
The previous models antenna works great. I have 2014' and in the some location it's much better than 18'.
But the 2012' is a different system and just the antenna maybe will not make that much difference.
Also, the OEM 2012' antenna is so expensive that maybe will not be a smart experiment,
except if you have a spare one sitting on the shelves...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am using the both antennas, but I will try to use external one only, to see the difference...
I couldn't have found the Honda original antenna plug and I've used the original connector,
soldered a standard antenna plug and using a splitter, connected the both of them to the unit.
Definitely separate them. I suspect the built in antenna has a preamp in it that can pick up more noise than a passive (non-amplified) antenna. For the people that are getting noise from their LEDs they might want to switch to an external antenna.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The previous models antenna works great. I have 2014' and in the some location it's much better than 18'.
But the 2012' is a different system and just the antenna maybe will not make that much difference.
Also, the OEM 2012' antenna is so expensive that maybe will not be a smart experiment,
except if you have a spare one sitting on the shelves...
I'm not familiar with the antenna on the 2012, but I'm assuming it is a whip antenna, which is what we want and will work great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That antenna looks very good and functional.
If it works as it looks...where did you find ? What's the brand?
Thanks
Cable DIN female to Fakra Z 5021 jack Car radio Stereo Aerial Antenna RG58 1FT
ebay
Jensen JAN139 Top or Side Mount 6" Rubber Mast Marine Antenna
amazon
Goldstrike flag pole bracket.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ebay
Jensen JAN139 Top or Side Mount 6" Rubber Mast Marine Antenna
amazon
Goldstrike flag pole bracket.
Thanks for this.
Found the antenna and ordered, but cannot find the cable on Amazon Australia.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for this.
Found the antenna and ordered, but cannot find the cable on Amazon Australia.
Also, I used the Goldstrike Flag Pole Mount to mount it to.
I had to come up with a spacer to raise the antenna base so that the mounting screw would not contact my top box.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hate to ask dumb questions but do these antenna's improve both AM and FM? I can tune in stations but very quickly ride out of range. Consequently I never use FM or AM radio. I dropped Sirius radio. After hours of listening to music on a trip, it is nice to hear some news or just hear a person talking. lol

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hate to ask dumb questions but do these antenna's improve both AM and FM? I can tune in stations but very quickly ride out of range. Consequently I never use FM or AM radio. I dropped Sirius radio. After hours of listening to music on a trip, it is nice to hear some news or just hear a person talking. lol
The reception on AM/FM is great using my antenna. I'm not sure how well the stubby antenna will work on AM, it should be fine on FM though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Try Ebay.
What is the type of plug which fits on the unit?
Is it the Fakra type or Fakra Z5201.
I can see many different types but I am not sure which one fits.
I need one one which fits into the unit with standard type antenna connector.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Get the "Z" type as it is universal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is what i ordered.
Ebay , delivered from China to the US.
It plugs in to the antenna connection on the far left under the seat and has a standard RF antenna female connection on the other end. It is one foot long.

ebay

21 - 40 of 44 Posts