GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I haven't been on the site for a while but I wanted to come by here and let you DSers know that yesterday I had my Dunlop Sport 5000 mounted on my 2010 Goldwing. I struggled with the decision for quite a while but once the OEM tire got noisey (9k miles) I figured since I had the tire I had to know how it felt on a Goldwing. I took the CT off my cruiser when I converted it to a solo bike--my Wing made the cruiser feel awkward at low speed with the CT on it (it's lowered also) and going back to a MT on the cruiser helped that a lot. So I had this perfect Dunlop so I had to try it. :cool:

After a short ride home I have to say my first impression is very good. I was anticipating some extra effort to lean and keep the bike down in the curves but I did not experience that at all yesterday. I'm at 36 PSI but my TPMS light is flashing so I'll go up a little until it goes out--a pound or 2 should do it. What I did notice right off was the smooth, quiet ride--I had forgotten about that. We're headed out for the weekend tomorrow morning so I'll have a more informed opinion after 500 or so miles with a passenger.

This Dunlop probably isn't the tire I'd pick now to go Darkside but since I had it I thought I'd use it to see if a CT agrees with me on the Wing. I'll either run it a while and then upgrade to a better CT or go back to a MT if I don't like it for some reason. But so far I think it's gonna work well.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hope you have a nice safe ride this weekend! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: and welcome to the Darkside Kid!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Be sure to take an extra toothbrush on your trip. You'll need it for cleaning the bug out of your teeth from the big smiles!:thumbup::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
FWIW, kick it to 40PSI and try it there. NO you won't lose any smoothness, but you will gain some responsiveness in transitions and still leave a fine footprint on the ground. It is a NRF and is different in many ways from the Rf variety.

Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW, kick it to 40PSI and try it there. NO you won't lose any smoothness, but you will gain some responsiveness in transitions and still leave a fine footprint on the ground. It is a NRF and is different in many ways from the Rf variety.

Congrats and enjoy.
Thanks--I'm tempted to do just that. I recall that Rob has a work-around for my TPMS issue so I could run lower pressure but for now I'd like to keep the system fully functional--for what it's worth--until I'm sure this is going to suit me. I know the tire will wear faster in the center but right now I'll sacrifice some longevity for the TPMS and to minimize some of the "funkiness" that bigger contact patch can cause on weird pavement.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Kid,

Enjoy the ride and God Bless. :biker:

Mike

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys--appreciate it. I can't wait to get out on that tire for a good trip tomorrow. Headed to Dubuque and Prairie Du Chien for a color tour and ride some nice roads along the river.:thumbup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just changed my Dunlop Sport 5000at 18500 miles. It could have gone to maybe 20k but we're going down to Marlington next week and I wanted a fresh tire for the trip. All in all it was a great tire. I ran it over 40lbs most of its life mostly at 42 lbs. I didn't like the squishy feeling around curves with the pressure in the 30's. Running at higher pressure will cause the center to wear faster which is the case with mine. Just to try something different, I just put the Kumho RF on yesterday. Heard good things so I had to give it a try. By the way, I still have the Battlax rear on the front and its looking like its gonna run another 5000 miles on top of the 18500 that it has on it now. Enjoy and welcome!:congrats:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just changed my Dunlop Sport 5000at 18500 miles. It could have gone to maybe 20k but we're going down to Marlington next week and I wanted a fresh tire for the trip. All in all it was a great tire. I ran it over 40lbs most of its life mostly at 42 lbs. I didn't like the squishy feeling around curves with the pressure in the 30's. Running at higher pressure will cause the center to wear faster which is the case with mine. Just to try something different, I just put the Kumho RF on yesterday. Heard good things so I had to give it a try. By the way, I still have the Battlax rear on the front and its looking like its gonna run another 5000 miles on top of the 18500 that it has on it now. Enjoy and welcome!:congrats:
Thanks, Arnie--that's great to hear you had a good experience with this tire--it was the DS tire of choice for my 1300 when I bought it back in early 2010. I wound up putting only 3,000 miles on it before I made big changes to that bike and took it off--but it looks like brand new. If I can put another 15k on it I'd be real happy with that. I'm going to set it at 40 PSI this morning before we leave. I'm pretty sure it will stay on the bike--I'll report back after my 2-up tour this weekend.:cool:

P.S.--I had a new Bridgestone 709 put on the front, too--but I want to hear more about this Battlax.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
For what it's worth, I tried the Battleax and took it off before it was wore out. I praised it at first but finally I got tired of the heavy steering feeling that I was getting. I am a cheap so and so but I tossed the Battleax and went back to a G709. This is the best tire ever for the front of an 1800, in my opinion.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For what it's worth, I tried the Battleax and took it off before it was wore out. I praised it at first but finally I got tired of the heavy steering feeling that I was getting. I am a cheap so and so but I tossed the Battleax and went back to a G709. This is the best tire ever for the front of an 1800, in my opinion.
Interesting--the Battlax is one of those rear MTs mounted on the front spinning backwards deals, correct?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Put over 300 miles on the CT yesterday--lots of curves along the Mississippi River. I must say this SP5000 is fantastic for 2-up on the Goldwing. It does stand up a tad easier coming out of the curves than the MT but the difference is easy to adjust to. The tire was so solid in everything I did--holds the line great. Even the low-speed, uneven pavement issues were less pronounced than on the other bike. I didn't notice the squarer profile pushing the bike over on uneven pavement--and there were a couple spots I was expecting it.

Ok--I'm sold. How do I get a DS number and a sticker? :p

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Put over 300 miles on the CT yesterday--lots of curves along the Mississippi River. I must say this SP5000 is fantastic for 2-up on the Goldwing. It does stand up a tad easier coming out of the curves than the MT but the difference is easy to adjust to. The tire was so solid in everything I did--holds the line great. Even the low-speed, uneven pavement issues were less pronounced than on the other bike. I didn't notice the squarer profile pushing the bike over on uneven pavement--and there were a couple spots I was expecting it.

Ok--I'm sold. How do I get a DS number and a sticker? :p
Glad it is working out. Murgie is the number man and TJRanch (who recently had an accident) is the decal guy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts