GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a couple of other folks from the Southern Cruisers Riding Club are going to attempt a Saddle sore ride in April or May. ( should be interesting 'cause one of the other bikes is a BMW 1100 )

This is still in the early stages of planning. I have been to the IBA web site but I was wondering if anyone here has any other advise, or equipment recommendations. ??? Like extra fuel cells. I'm more concerned with Hydration and warmth than anything else.

I routinely ride 400+ miles per day and feel great after 6-7 hours in the saddle, so I'm hoping I can go a lot further.

This will be a one time shot, I don't plan on making a habit of running cross country just because I can. :roll:

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
jmac - good luck with your SS1000. I did my SS1000 last June. Rode with 1 other rider. I don't think I would want to run with too many people,.....too many 'unscheduled' potty breaks.

Take some extra water along, and maybe even pack a few sandwiches. I hauled my Bushtec behind me with a jacket, chaps, some tools, some food, and had the cooler stocked with ice and water and sodas for the ride. This way we were able to pull over anywhere and stretch and get a drink.

Have fun !! I ended up putting on 1085 miles 'just in case'.

·
Registered
466 Posts
jmac,

A really good place to start is here : http://www.mctourer.com/ . The delphi forum is hosted by AL2000 and is a wealth of information.

The SS1000 is more about time management than equipment like fuel cells. I have talked to riders who accomplished this using bikes with 100 mile range. The 220 mile range of the 'Wing makes it ideal for this type of run.

The IBA website has some really good recommendations as well.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
I wouldn't try to do it at the beginning of your riding season, you need to build up to it. It should be easy, your on the most comfortable bike on the market! :)

Get plenty of rest the day(s) before. I would not think extra fuel would be needed. You're only looking at 5 fill ups.

Watch who you go with. Can they ride, will they ride, will their bikes make it okay? Take snacks with you. Plan on only one good meal during the ride just in case you run into bad weather or trouble with a bike on the road.

I documented my first 1,000-24hr in '82. I was on a '82 Interstate and my riding Buddy was on a '76 Superglide. I was on a roof all day before we left that evening! :( (Young & Dumb! LOL..) We ended up doing 3,000 miles in 4 days!

Good luck and be safe. You will get tired and when you get tired you/I don't think real clear and quick! I don't know what condition you are in, but you might want to think about a backbrace! They are great! A cheap $15 workbelt from WalMart works well enough.

I don't have a clue what documentation you need for the Iron Butt Association. I did mine before I heard of a Iron Butt!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have done a saddlesore, a Bunn Burner, both on my 1100. I also have done a Bunnburner Gold on my 1800. I agree it is more about time management than anything. Don't ler your stops get too long, 15 minutes in usually enough. Buy all your gas with a creditcard. That way you have the creditcard bill if you happen to loose your receipts. I don't recommend having a meal anywhere on the ride, rather just snack on energy foods. If I have a meal the next thing my body wants is a nap and that doesn't work with trying to make time on the road. Dring PLENTY of fluids. I had a bottle of water at every stop and carride pop in my drink holder. Buy sone spearmint or peppermint candy like lifesavers. The reason I recommend these is they can be unwrapped and kept in your shirt pocket without getting sticky. Last and most important begin with the attitude that if somewhere along the ride you discover you aren't up to it for whatever reason give it up and live to do it another day.
Good Luck

·
Registered
224 Posts
jmac00 said:
Me and a couple of other folks from the Southern Cruisers Riding Club are going to attempt a Saddle sore ride in April or May.

This will be a one time shot, I don't plan on making a habit of running cross country just because I can. :roll:
I'm trying to put together a Southern Cruisers SS1000 this spring too. I'm thinking no more than 5 riders. Good luck and safe miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
SaddleSore 1000

The saddle sore is just the starting point for long distance riding habit. Sure I know its just one ride but watchout for what you will start thinking about after you have this one under your belt.
The SS1K can be ridden in about 16 or 17 hrs in good conditions without pushing hard. It is important to know the riding habits of others who will attempt to ride this ride with you, fuel range, required stop time for breaks, eating habits, and driving speeds at which everyone is comfortable. The most lost time on a ride is time spent at fuel stops, it's easy to get involved in conversation and lose valuable riding time, try to get in the habit of quick stops, probably less than 15 minutes. (on my BunBurnerGold ride I had 7 fuel stops with a total stop time of 49 minutes on a 22 hr ride.)
The easiest route is generally a loop which starts and ends near your home, unless you are doing this as part of a trip and this is used as a means of getting you 1000 miles closer to your destination. Documentation of your start and end times and all time/dated fuel receipts is a must. Check the info on your fuel receipts as your get them, often you will find that the info is not correct or complete.
Your required witnesses for this ride can be anyone except someone participating on the ride.

boB

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i found a really good quality softside cooler that fits easily in a saddlebag, it even keeps things cold all day,and doesnt leak water. it also has about 4 places to hold snacks, medications, sunscreen, and all the little goodies that are required

i started carrying it on my st1100 in the side bag

on a long trip a little liquid really helps, the great thing about this is that it only takes a minute to stop and get something out, and then back on the quest again.

seems to me that if i do it at a station it takes a long time and then the time lag gets me off my focus to get going

loren

·
Registered
307 Posts
me too

I too am planning to give this a try. Having done a few 800 mile days and finding that I felt pretty good and could have gone farther. The wife and I also pull a Bushtec trailer and we are looking into doing some of the LD rallies this year. The GL1800 is so easy to ride long distances on, its like and unfair advantage. :lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The SS1k shouldn't be too much of a problem for most anyone.

Riding with others can be a burden. If y'all aren't on the same sheet of music, it can get frustrating. I like to ride & get it done, some folks wanna use the WHOLE 24 hours.

Most important advice is, IF THINGS GO WRONG, CALL IT A DAY AND RIDE AGAIN ANOTHER DAY! Don't push it and do anything crazy, just for a piece of paper!

Beware the call of the dark side :D

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just wanted to say thanx for all the help. anyone have some good mapping software~~~~cheap :shock: :D :D :D

I think the ride will start in Geneva, NY. Probably head to wards Pittsburg'ish, turn south down to Kentucky--somewhere. Turn left and head for the coast, just before hitting saltwater, turn left again and head north, up past NYC, to Boston area, up through Maine turn left again and head across the top of Mass, to Glens falls up through the Adirondack's and then back to Geneva, NY

but, it's negotiable :D :D :D

Thanx again

·
Registered
41 Posts
Microsoft Street and Trips is pretty good and reasonably priced. If you buy it at Sams Club they usually have a mail-in Rebate that makes it an even better deal.

boB

·
Registered
41 Posts
SS1K

If you are just looking for a loop route for the SS1K,
Starting at Geneva
Buffalo
Erie
Pittsburgh
Harrisburgh
Scranton
Syracuse
Geneva
is 1068 miles

boB

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: SS1K

DRBob said:
If you are just looking for a loop route for the SS1K,
Starting at Geneva
Buffalo
Erie
Pittsburgh
Harrisburgh
Scranton
Syracuse
Geneva
is 1068 miles

boB

kewl, I better not go to fast~~~~~don't want to get dizzy :a13:

·
Registered
676 Posts
After reading all responses, I would add that I believe the degree of difficulty and frustration will go up nearly exponentially with the number of riders trying to stay together above two. I would rec'm either going alone only if properly prepared or one other very well prepared rider at the most.
Be prepared for a much wider range in weather conditions than actually expected.
For hydration system go with some type of Camelback bladder and hose carried in tank bag or other secure spot, with mouth piece available to drink on the fly. Endurance riders have a tendancy to avoid stops and this results in not drinking enough water. You need to drink before you get thirsty. I have also used a one gal. jug strapped to rear seat with hose.
Would not be concerned about special navigation gear or extra fuel for your first LD run. These are good things for sure that could be added if you deceide you like this stuff. Be prepared LD riding often becomes addictive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK, you got a lot of good replies, and here are a couple more. This ride will take you about 16-17 hours, so plan to leave as early as you can in the morning--even 4:30 or 5AM is OK. That way you can finish in the early evening. Starting out heading west keeps the sun at your back and out of your eyes. Keep your gas stop time to a min. You should use your charge card so you don't have to stand in line, hit the head, carry your drinks, power-bars, candy bars, a sandwich, whatever, you should be able to make each stop in no more than 10 min (an extra 5-min/stop add 1/2 hour to your ride). Get a good breakfast and then get started. Set your speed control at 5-7MPH above the speed limits and the Cops won't bother you. The SS1000 is about consistancy not speed, 80 MPH tops ,is easier on your body, and ensures you'll make 180-200 miles between stops. Plan ahead where you'll get gas. Have a great ride, it's fun and also pretty easy on the Wing. Here's a note from the Tech Board:

For those wanting extra go-juice, but don't want a fuel cell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Figured I'd throw this tip out for all the new folk...

I carry an MSR fuel bottle with me in my saddlebag, wrapped in a towel. It is the 1 liter size, and they only cost around $13.

Made to hold flammable liquids (kerosene/gasoline) for backpacking. Very sturdy, doesn't vent or leak!! NO smell of gas fumes at all!

Just be sure to follow the directions and only fill the bottle to the fill line, which is about 3/4 full on the bottle, to allow for expansion during changes in temp/altitude.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANK YOU EVERYONE

I've gotten a lot of great ideas from you folks and I really appreciate it.

But don't stop now, keep them coming

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only two things I would do is only ride with one other person and only if you have ridden with them on long trips. It is not that difficult to go the 1000 in 24 hours on a GL1800 but some riders think they can do it and find out they can't, of course they don't tell you till the 600 mile mark. Leave early enough so you arrive home in daylight and do the night driving first when you are fresh. I have done four 1000 mile days and none of them planned but my next one I will plan ahead and keep records.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to admit, I'm a little concerned about some of the other bikes (the BMW is an a new 2003 1100 , he will be able to keep up with no problem)

but there maybe a couple of people on Virago's, I'm not sure thats a "long distance" bike.

and a couple of people on 650~~~~something-or-other's.

I think we will make a rule, anyone to tired to continue may drop out and take a nap at any time, breakdowns we will deal with should they occur

·
Registered
336 Posts

Jmac
I'm by no stretch of the imagination an IB rider but if I were attempting one I wouldn't go anywhere near NYC of Boston. JMHO
Jerry

1 - 20 of 40 Posts