GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw you... hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line. But, you didn't see me put an extra $10.00 in the collection plate last Sunday.

I saw you... pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk. But, you didn't see me playing Santa at the local mall.

I saw you... change your mind about going into the restaurant. But, you didn't see me attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.

I saw you... roll up your window and shake your head when I drove by. But, you didn't see me, driving behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.

I saw you... frown at me when I smiled at your children. But, you didn't see me, when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.

I saw you... stare at my long hair. But, you didn't see me and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.

I saw you... roll your eyes at our boots, leather coats, leather vests and gloves. But, you didn't see me and my brothers donate our old coats and gloves to those that had none.

I saw you... look in fright at my tattoos. But, you didn't see me cry as my children were born and having their name tattooed on my skin and in my heart.

I saw you... change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere. But, you didn't see me going home to be with my family.

I saw you... complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be. But, you didn't see me, when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you... yelling at your kids in the car. But, you didn't see me; pat my child's hands knowing he was safe behind me.

I saw you... reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road But, you didn't see me; squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.

I saw you... race down the road in the rain. But, you didn't see me, get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date... his high school prom!

I saw you... protesting the funeral of a fallen hero. But you didn't see me standing honor guard on my motorcycle with tears streaming down my face.

I saw you... driving down the road with your protest bumper stickers. But you didn't see me with the American flag waving proudly from the rear of my motorcycle!

I saw you... driving by my church on Sunday morning. But you didn't see me as I pulled into the parking lot to go in and worship my God.

I saw you... run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time. But, you didn't see me, trying to turn right.

I saw you... cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in. But, you didn't see me, leave the road.

I saw you... waiting impatiently for my friends to pass. But, you didn't see me. I wasn't there.

I saw you... go home to your family. But, you didn't see me, because, I died that day you cut me off.

I was just a biker and a person with friends, with a family and with a loving, living God. But, you didn't see me!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride!

Author unknown...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Steve Smith said:
I read that over on the Blackbird site. All I can say is....
I'M NOT A "BIKER", I'M A MOTORCYCLIST!
Could you please educate me on what the difference is between a biker and a motorcyclist? I'm new to this hobby and I would like to know where I fit in.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
azblackbird said:
Steve Smith said:
Could you please educate me on what the difference is between a biker and a motorcyclist? I'm new to this hobby and I would like to know where I fit in.
Semantics.....that's all

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Why would someone make an issue out of the semantics of these labels?? I am a 48 yr old professional woman who also happens to be a biker...if I didn't tell collegues and clients that I am a biker, they would not know, dressed in my business suit with my hair done...it it absurd that someone would create an issue between biker and motorcyclist because of society's image...you have just reinforced what the poem attempts to disclaim...be ashamed for disrespecting all of us! I am a biker along with my many brothers and sisters.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
RH, oh excuse me AZBLKBIRD :D
you being new & all, i've prepared some definitions to help you sort this stuff out. :D It can be confusing @ times. :roll:

MOTORCYCLIST: Person(s) who enjoy all types of 2 wheeled vehicles. Usually puts more miles on their motorcycle than their cage.

Knows how to dress,pack & what to bring for the long haul.

Can handle & is prepared for most roadside repairs & is more than happy to help others in emergencies.

Their favorite suit is a rain suit.

BIKER: pretty much the same as a MOTORCYCLIST,but some seem to prefer V twins.

Knows how to dress & wears most any clothing,so long as it's BLACK. Usually packs light for a long haul.

Will ALWAYS help their BRO's,& most times others,depending on their mood.

RAIN SUIT? BIKERS don't even OWN a rainsuit!!

MOTORCYCLE HOBBIEST(S): Ride their bikes when there's nothing better to do.

How their bike looks & how they look on the bike is more important than performance or function.

Sometimes refer to "driving their bike" as opposed to "riding their bike"

Wash their bikes more than they ride 'em, hence many are addicted to CHROME.

A long haul for them is a 500 mile weekend.

Motorcycle maintaince is usually taken care of by their dealer & their roadside repair kit consists of a cell phone,credit card, & road service #.
A.K.A.( also know as) FAIR WEATHER RIDERS,thus no need for a rain suit.
hope this helps,
the hobo

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
hmm...perpetuating the distinctions...I would rather help create a cohesive group than accentuate the differences...thus I am a biker since riding is what I would rather do than ANYTHING else... I don't understand "Motorcycle Hobbyist" though by definition that would be anyone not riding 24/7...in an attempt to bring bikers together and enhance awareness of bikers on the road, the bumper sticker says "Biker Friendly" not "Motorcyclist Friendly" thus creating a brother- and sister- hood of all people who love to ride not only two-wheels, but three as well...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
azblackbird said:
Could you please educate me on what the difference is between a biker and a motorcyclist?
If I may coin a phrase, if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand... :wink:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
S&W Triker,
i applaude your quest of bringing cohesivness to the biker community.
A worthwhile endeavor. I personally don't have any "bumper" stickers,but have several stickers on my helmet. 1 says Patriot Guard Rider.
Maybe when you get all the bikers together,you can bring peace to the Middle East! :D
Trying to put bikers/motorcyclists into a box by defining them won't work,because they refuse to be labled, & could care less what they're called.
$20K & 10K miles don't make ya a biker!
Ride safe,
the hobo
BTW, your PINK FLAMIGO'S real cute. :D

s

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Defining bikers is precisely what I am NOT doing, it is what you did.

There will never be peace in the Middle East until the warring primitive tribes evolve...and I am not saying this is even possible.

I am riding my VTX today after I get my dog groomed...and I will not be concerned with anything but being into my ride at the moment

oh, and thanks, I love my flamingoes...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
S&W Triker,
Have a good ride!! 8)
soon as it warms up a bit, @ least into the 30's, i think i'll ride down & get my nails done & maybe get a haircut. :p :p
Merry Christmas to ya, :D
yer pal,
the hobo

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
S&W Triker said:
hmm...perpetuating the distinctions...I would rather help create a cohesive group than accentuate the differences...thus I am a biker since riding is what I would rather do than ANYTHING else... I don't understand "Motorcycle Hobbyist" though by definition that would be anyone not riding 24/7...in an attempt to bring bikers together and enhance awareness of bikers on the road, the bumper sticker says "Biker Friendly" not "Motorcyclist Friendly" thus creating a brother- and sister- hood of all people who love to ride not only two-wheels, but three as well...
Acknowledging differences is not necessarily a matter of 'perpetuating' them or of creating division. Distinctions are not divisions. No offense, but pretending distinctions don't exist strikes me as downright foolish. How important those distiction are is a matter of debate. Most people I consider "bikers" wouldn't consider me one of them, and I'm okay with that. I'm just a guy who rides a motorcycle whenever I get the chance. The fact that I ride doesn't define my existance, but it sure makes it more fun!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I always thought it was...........
Motorcyclist: Loves to go places and see things on his motorcycle. :D

Biker; Loves to go places and be seen on his motorcycle. 8)

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Steve Smith said:
OOPS, did I start all this debate? :roll:
What debate?? This is just banter...we'll all ride together tomorrow...

·
Registered
585 Posts
S&W Triker said:
[quote="Steve Smith":11omy50c]OOPS, did I start all this debate? :roll:
What debate?? This is just banter...we'll all ride together tomorrow...[/quote:11omy50c]

:biker: YEP

G

·
Steve Smith said:

Hey Steve,

I have noticed more "bikers" in the Toy for Tots this year than the "motorcyclists" if you are referring to wingers and BMW riders. Must be too wimpy to deal with the cold.

I haven't seen a "motorcyclist" able to donate for Locks for Love.

If I am wrong, let me know your definition of "biker". I would really like to know.

Jimmy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts