GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To day coming home from work my bike started acting very strangely.
when i put the clutch in and down to first gear coming to a stop the bike starts making trembling noise.
the only way i can discribe it is like you start out in third gear and it chugs and shakes until you get the rpms up and start going. At idle it is not too bad but when turning the bike off it really shudders. Increasing the revs take the situation away. it still runs great at this point in time but i am scared to drive it.
This is an 03 with about 68k on it. this is the first time i have had any trouble with it. Just change oil and tires and gas and away i go. I love this bike but i fear the repairs will break me.

Anyone with ideas.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Have you changed the plugs?

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
two summers ago for plugs. all fluids changed last summer

·
Registered
512 Posts
Check your gas filter maybe time for new one. Try some seafoam to clean out the fuel system and injectors.:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
No gas filter on Gold Wings.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Check your gas filter maybe time for new one. Try some seafoam to clean out the fuel system and injectors.:popcorn:
Good advice, Pete. Seafoam is great stuff!!!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Almost sounds like you dropped a couple of cylinders.
Maybe a coil pack.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Maybe not as serious as you fear. If the bike runs strong at speed, that mostly eliminates fuel issues.

I suspect ignition problems, plugs, wires, not firing properly and makes the bike shake and tremble as you say.

Other things it could be:

Crankshaft sensor
Bad injector, but both of these should send a code.

Can be the ECM also.

You can check plugs by pulling off one wire at a time, if no change that plug and wire is suspect, if a change that one is most likely good.

Anyways start with looking for lack of fire.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Good luck-hope it is a simple fix

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I'll be watching to see what you find. I just turned over 68,000 on my 03!

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
You probably don't have a lot to worry about. It is unlikely you'll find major mechanical problems. It's more likely to be fuel system or ignition related. Biggest challenge may be diagnosis.

You didn't mention changing air filters. Have you changed the air filter lately? It requires pulling the top plastic.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just had the club mechanic come over and check it out. He believes it is the clutch assembly nut in the transmission. Looking at $3000. for repairs. I wonder if it isnt worth while to part the bike out and buy a new one.
That thump you heard was my heart hitting the floor and the wallet emptying.
No warranty left so i wonder if i could bug honda as a failed piece of equiptment and get it done for free.
Gotta go to bed and have a good cry

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just had the club mechanic come over and check it out. He believes it is the clutch assembly nut in the transmission. Looking at $3000. for repairs. I wonder if it isnt worth while to part the bike out and buy a new one.
No warranty left so i wonder if i could bug honda as a failed piece of equiptment and get it done for free.
Whoa, not so fast. Try the ideas that Kit Carson offered.

·
Registered
596 Posts

I think if it would be trans related, it would get worse with an increase in rpm.
I'm in the fuel or fire camp.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
What is a "club mechanic"...?
I'd take a deep breath and start looking for the issue...

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys but i think i would rather have a mechanic look at it.
i park the bike in the winter and use seafoam.
Its not the gas as i am at the bottom of the last mark on the fuel gauge
no f lights showed up so maybe that is good news
Air filter changed last year and looked at this year and all was good

sorry it it sounds if i am shooting everyone down. i am not, i'm just hoping it is not that serious as both my kids start university this year and every penny counts.

hmmm maybe i can convince the wife to get a new one.
Any one want to buy a used 03 wing with lots of goodies on it?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Sounds like you have a failed ACG (alternator Dampener).A clip breaks and lets the ACG loosen up a tad and make noise.

There are only two major repairs on the GL1800 engine.

1) Tranny failure.
2) ACG failure.

If the tranny is working as it should,then you know what the noise is.

Trust me it is not the clutch making the noise!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Obviously, check all the things mentioned here, as the simple things need to be eliminated first. The clutch is doubtful IMHO. Does it change with the clutch pulled in or released? My guess is it will not change but will remain constant regardless of the clutch lever position, although the clutch in/out may have some effect on the motor idle speed which will effect the noise. If this is the case, and there is little or no change, the clutch is not your issue.

What I believe you probably do have is a broken alternator drive. (ACG, I think is it's official name) It will usually (but not always) show up at idle, the lower the idle speed the worse it gets. @ about 1500 rpm's it will clear up and not make any more noise. Falling below about 800 rpm's really makes it nasty. If this is the case, the motor has to be removed and the alternator drive replaced (about a $300 part, IF it has not gotten any parts or shavings into the bearings.) This can be diagnosed by removing the alternator and checking the amount of rotation in the alternator drive. A shelled unit will have some play, a good unit will be firm. Many will tell you if this is the issue the motor cases should also be split in order to remove a collection of snap rings and retainer pieces... Rocky and others who have had to deal with this will be along shortly...

Sorry about your baby... hope i am wrong.:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Like I said.. Rocky will be along soon....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts