GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all guys, this is my very first post on this forum.

I've been on a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic since 2007 but I'm really feeling an itch to get myself something different. The suspension just doesn't soak up our crappy roads where I live and it's just no fun, and this is with upgraded Progressive Shocks too.

I just spotted a used 2014 F6B in black about two hours from my home and it has really perked my interest. It has 66,000 kms (41,000 miles) on the clock and the guy says that he just lowered the price, it's now $13,000 Canadian ($9,960.00 USD). The seller says that the bike is in excellent condition. has a center stand, taller windshield, Satellite Radio, GPS, backrests for rider and pillion, a black luggage rack and throttle lock cruise control.

I was lucky enough to take out an F6B when they first came out during the Honda Demo Rides but that was a while back. I had also gotten a chance to take out a full-on Gold Wing too during those demo rides and was really impressed with both bikes but the F6B was more fun, I do remember that much.

My main concern is, will the F6B offer up a nice plush ride? I suppose that its bigger brother the GW would swallow the bad bumps better but would the F6B come in pretty close in that dept.?

I'm just thinking of my passenger here. I usually have either my wife or my 80 year old father onboard so I'm wondering how comfortable they might be on the F6B.

Thanks for any opinions that you'd like to share!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yes, the F6B offers just as nice a ride as a full 'Wing.
It doesn't have electrical adjustment of the rear shock preload, but it does have a manual clicker adjuster.
As long as you don't overinflate the tires, the ride is just fine.
My wife enjoys riding 2up.
$13k CAD for a bike with 66k km seems high to me.
All those accessories will not change the black book price of the bike.
Just make sure all regular maintenance has been performed.
If the seller doesn't have bills, ask him how often he changes the engine oil and filter, when was the brake and clutch fluid last changed out, when was the last coolant flush, when was the air filter done, and how long ago did he do the spark plugs.
If he can't answer those questions, walk away.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice, thanks bigbird1!

I asked the seller if his bike has heated grips, I knew he already had a center-stand and passenger backrest and with that I suspected that he might have the F6B "Deluxe" which included those two items plus heated grips and self-cancelling turn signals. But he responded that the grips are in fact not heated, meaning it's probably not the F6B Deluxe, the center stand must have been an after-market add-on.

I also asked if he still had the original short windshield that the bike originally came with and he said that he didn't. I have a hunch that he isn't the original owner or else he would have kept that windshield, unless it was damaged or something. I think that it's likely that he might have bought this second hand. I will check with him on that.

I will also ask about service history, very important!

I checked around for used F6Bs on Kijiji throughout Canada and most of them were between $14,000-$15,000 but I did spot one or two at $13,000 so I figured that this guy wasn't way out of line. But I intend to get him down more in the $12,000 range.

From all of the reading that I've done so far, it appears that the F6B never had ABS brakes but does have what they call CBS brakes (combined braking system), the only way to tell for sure is if there's that little encoder toothed ring on the front wheel. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm relieved to hear that the F6B is just as comfortable as a full-on GW, my passenger will be super happy with that!

It would be great if this particular bike works out for me because so far it's the only F6B for sale in the Maritimes.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
When I tested out the FB6 , i loved the way it rode but my only grip would be that short windshield that comes stock...Can a bigger shield be installed?? (I'm talking G/Wing tall)

Ronnie

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, I've read in this forum that an OEM goldwing windshield can be used... i and many others have used taller aftermarket windscreens successfully.
The F6B is comfortable, I, and my wife as pillon, have done long day trips in excess of 300 miles and she is able to stay on the bike comfortably. But it is still way fun riding solo and pushing through curves.
Slow speed maneuvers are a challenge, but I am practicing. They can be done with some skill.
I think the price may be high too, but.... I bought and had mine shipped to me, which would improve the bikes available to you. I did a face-time look over with the owner too. These bikes are so reliable, I think you can buy with confidence from a reputable seller.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Humbucker:

All Canadian F6B's had ABS as standard equipment.
There is a small badge on the lower front forks saying "ABS", in addition to your mentioned pulser ring on the wheels.
Also, there was never a "Deluxe" F6B for sale in Canada, only a basic model.

In terms of aftermarket windscreens, there's lots out there.
As stated, the stock F6B screen is laughable, and useless!
I ended up with a Madstad adjustable after trying a Baggershield.

Like most Goldwing owners, you'll likely want some kind of highway pegs if you spend a lot of time on the open road.
There are lots of aftermarket solutions for you there as well.

If you have any particular questions about Canadian F6B's, service, or maintenance, I can help you out.
I've got several youtube videos on adding accessories, wheel removal, shelter removal, and air filter replacement.

The main and most beneficial model enhancement IMHO was the 2014, with a major change to the transmission internals.
Long story short, 14's and newer shift a lot smoother and are more reliable than the '13's.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for chiming in!

So you fellas feel that the price is a little high?

I was looking through two pages of F6Bs for sale throughout Canada on Kijiji and most of them were between $14,000 and $15,000

This one for $13,000 is the cheapest one on there right now.

But I do plan on haggling a bit.

What would you say would be a fair price?

And thanks again guys!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So all of these Canadian F6Bs actually have ABS?

Man, that is fantastic!

Thanks for all your help guys. I will keep checking in here to learn as much as I can before I buy anything.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Here's one in my neck of the woods.
It's a '15, low km (14K), comes with factory cruise control (added standard equipment in '15 and newer).
It's a dealer, asking $16K.

Here's the link:

https://www.stcroixcycle.com/defaul...1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

That's the dealer I bought my F6B from.

You could get it out the door for probably $15k plus taxes.

So, I would think the bike you're looking at should go for $12500, private sale.
You could always tell the seller to keep the Sat radio and GPS, which he could sell individually.
Does he have a Brakeaway throttle lock on it?
That's the best and safest throttle lock IMHO.
That's worth about $250 CAD new, so about $125 used.
If there's any other throttle lock on it, he can keep it as well.

So between the radio, GPS, and throttle lock, there's probably $500 more wiggle room.

Anyways, good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the 2015s and newer came with a factory installed cruise control? Now that is really nice!

I'm not sure what this 2014 has on it for a throttle lock but I do agree that the Breakaway is the best after market one out there. I will ask.

That F6B for sale at your local dealer is definitely the one that I would pick though. That's a great deal IMO.

I wonder if that could be shipped to the Maritimes. And how much that might cost. Hmmmm.....something to think about.

Flying out there to get it might be an option but I don't know if would make financial sense. There might be a similar deal in Québec possibly, that would be a lot closer.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
So the 2015s and newer came with a factory installed cruise control? Now that is really nice!

I'm not sure what this 2014 has on it for a throttle lock but I do agree that the Breakaway is the best after market one out there. I will ask.

That F6B for sale at your local dealer is definitely the one that I would pick though. That's a great deal IMO.

I wonder if that could be shipped to the Maritimes. And how much that might cost. Hmmmm.....something to think about.

Flying out there to get it might be an option but I don't know if would make financial sense. There might be a similar deal in Québec possibly, that would be a lot closer.

Yes, factory cruise.
I have a friend who bought a brand new Triumph from GP Bikes in Whitby ON and had it shipped to Winnipeg for $350.
You could always phone the dealer in Pine Falls and ask about shipping.
The owner's name is Ron Bard.
I could then get you the name of the shipping company my buddy used.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's very nice if you to help out with this but I should first start with contacting that dealer like you said and I'll report back here.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
That's very nice if you to help out with this but I should first start with contacting that dealer like you said and I'll report back here.

Thanks again!
You're very welcome.
Yes, first phone Ron and see what he has to say and offer.
He's a good guy, straight shooter, and he's also a master mechanic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes... you can install a Slipstreamer S167... if you want it in clear with the little vent, it is the S167-VT. I just did it.
WOW WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. The OEM windshield is so bad I cannot comment without sounding really bad.
Slipstreamer does not sell retail, but there are all sorts of places online, just google it.
You can find it for under $200 including delivery.

The mounting bolt cutouts in the S167 are a hair wider than the stock widnshield, and the hardware is metric.
So to be ultra sure I didn't mess up, I bought three, 5/8" fender washers and enlarged the center hole up to the next size drill bit and also 3 big rubber washers to place under them. Works great - just remember to put a towel under the side nuts when you start to remove the cowl... see the vids on replacing a windshield. With a folding head box wrench, you can replace one in under 20 minutes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They are nice... my 2013 is great, but the seat - at least to me - is not as supportive as a normal Goldwing seat.
With a GW seat you sit in it. With a F6B you sit on it more than in it. And with a rider... well, as a rider I would want a more defined seat. But I ride solo most of the time so it does not bother me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are willing to travel to track and trail in Pennsylvania, i bought a new 2016 leftover f6b with 0 miles for $13000 out the door. It includes factory warranty. It isn't the deluxe model but you can make it one for cheap money.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
If you are willing to travel to track and trail in Pennsylvania, i bought a new 2016 leftover f6b with 0 miles for $13000 out the door. It includes factory warranty. It isn't the deluxe model but you can make it one for cheap money.
Thats a good price. Check with some of the trike companies you should be able to find a center stand for a reasonable price. The center stand from the GL1800 is the same as the one on the deluxe model.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The OP is in Canada. $13k USD = $17k CAD.
After all the taxes and importation fees, in addition to the transportation cost of his getting the bike from PA back to eastern Canada, it might not be worthwhile.
But at least he now has another option.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just to piggyback bigbird1 and the others:

Asking price a bit higher, but see about haggling if dead set on that bike
Look around as this isn’t the only F6B around
See about the newer models with factory cruise
Yes yes yes on being smooth, reliable and fun to ride
+1 on Madstad shield. I have one and the main factory is located in my town. Excellent product excellent people.

Be calm in making a decision. Plenty of times emotions put blinders on and we can’t see much around us. See what’s out there. You’ll know.
Bigbird 1 has been great with his knowledge and willingness to help...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts