GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2003 I took a test ride on a gl1800 at the Honda Hoot. At that time I was riding a 2003 VTX1800. I loved the goldwing, but I let my peer group and my wife talk me out of buying one. So, began my seemingly endless search for similar perfection.

I bought a 2003 HD Road Glide - it was a pretty bike - silver and black and I added teh ultra classic trunk and stereo to make it a full dresser. Wife and I rode it to the Smoky Mountains, Colorado and all over Missouri and Arkansas. I liked the bike ok, but was always making excuses for it. (Sure it lacks power, but its got that cool sound and its much better now that I've spent $1,300 on the motor - Sure its got an oil leak (after the first 135 mile ride), but its a HD so its part of the charm - Sure it shakes like hell at stop lights and the heat is unbearable, but . . . . .) Sold it to try a diffent bike.

Didn't learn much and swapped up (down) for a new 2005 Ultra Classic in October 04. The 05 Ultra was a terrible fit for me and I couldn't get comfortable on the bike no matter how much I spent on bars, seats and etc. Sold it in April of 05 with 8,000 miles on it for a significant loss.

Purchased a nice Valkyrie Interstate with low mileage on Monday of the same week I sold the Ultra Classic. Road it two days and sold it on Thursday. Steering was too heavy and wife hated it. Did make $1,500 on it though.

Tried another Road Glide from May '05 through the fall of '06. This one was black. New fairing design was better than the old and the bike was ok but still had the same old HD problems as well as a bunch of new sterio related issues. Couldn't keep the trunk (tourpak) tight and I just couldn't get rid of that nagging feeling that there was something better out there. Sold it last fall and started shopping for a used Goldwing.

Well, gave up on finding a used one and yesterday I went and picked up my shiney new '07 orange abs/nav/com/audio. Rode it the 186 miles back home and giggled like a silly school girl the whole way. I'm so happy.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Congratulations and welcome. Good to have you with us.
You've got miles of smiles in front of you.
I doubt you'll find much to dislike about the Goldwing.
Hopefully you've got the time to put 20 to 30K miles on in the next year or so.
If you think the first 186 was fun, just wait, it gets better.
Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Sounds like you got what you wanted. Glad for you. Now enjoy the heck out of it.

Ross

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new ride.

You'll not regret getting a Wing.

Dep

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Congrats on finally makin' the correct choice but never tell anyone but a Wing owner about that "School Girl Giggle" thing, they won't get it. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I didn't mean for my first post above to sound so anti-HD. In fact my Road Glide bikes were a blast (all motorcycles are, really) and took me and the wife on many trips for many thousands of miles without ever leaving us sitting on the side of the road (although my headlight did inexplicably quit working for about 20 minutes one dark and stormy night). It is just that I've been yearning for the gl1800 for so long that nothing else would have ever really satisfied me.

I can't wait till the schedule allows for a road trip! Until then, it'll just be short rides around southeast Missouri.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Got mine in Aug. 06 and still grininnn. Welcome.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congrats on the new wing. Welcome to the board. Still get that giggle myself.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I know what exactly what you mean. I remember the first time I took my then new Wing down one of my fav twisty circuits. After 30 or so minutes I noticed my cheeks feeling kinda sore and achy. Then it dawned on me that I had the biggest *#@!eatin ear to ear grin on my face that I'd had in years. Thats the truth. 8) Terry

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
It just takes a little longer for some people to find their way...glad you made it here! welcome to the board and enjoy your new ride!! The best!

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Welcome to the party.

I've had mine since March '06 and still get the stupid grin everytime I throw my leg over the seat. The fun is just beginning. Have the credit card handy. Hal is always ready to help you spend more of your money dressing that thing up.

Now for the other part....POST SOME PICS OF THE NEW MACHINE!!!!!

Bartman

·
Registered
51 Posts
started to buy an ultr classic when i bought "up". always told my wife i wanted a goldwing. when i was about to buy the HD.....because that's what all my buddies ride.....wife said "why are you doing that....you don't want that bike". bought a new 05 wineberry. i picked the bike...she picked the color. couldn't wipe the smile of my face with 40 grit sandpaper. still amazes me when i pull in and 20 HD's everywhere and they walk over to the wing and start lookin and asking questions!!

long as your knees are in the breeze!!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi Ho Ligons,
Welcome......Let the party begin.
Well.....maybe it should warm up a little first.
Anyway, glad you found your way to the Wing.
You got the same bike, color and all, that I picked up in December 06,
except I had the Traxxion suspension installed before it ever saw the roads.
What a great color......and NOTHING rhymes with ORANGE :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
906 Posts
WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!! Welcome and congratulations on your new scoot.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Ligon,welcome,i have been ridin an 01 since they first came out,i still love the bike and cant seem to part with it for a new one,it works too dang good,again,welcome to the madness,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. Wife is happy too, I guess. I woke up this morning at 5:15 a.m. and wife, who is not normally an early riser, had already been on the computer for a while making a parts list for accessories she wants to add!

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
ligons said:
In 2003 I took a test ride on a gl1800 at the Honda Hoot. At that time I was riding a 2003 VTX1800. I loved the goldwing, but I let my peer group and my wife talk me out of buying one. So, began my seemingly endless search for similar perfection.

I bought a 2003 HD Road Glide - it was a pretty bike - silver and black and I added teh ultra classic trunk and stereo to make it a full dresser. Wife and I rode it to the Smoky Mountains, Colorado and all over Missouri and Arkansas. I liked the bike ok, but was always making excuses for it. (Sure it lacks power, but its got that cool sound and its much better now that I've spent $1,300 on the motor - Sure its got an oil leak (after the first 135 mile ride), but its a HD so its part of the charm - Sure it shakes like hell at stop lights and the heat is unbearable, but . . . . .) Sold it to try a diffent bike.

Didn't learn much and swapped up (down) for a new 2005 Ultra Classic in October 04. The 05 Ultra was a terrible fit for me and I couldn't get comfortable on the bike no matter how much I spent on bars, seats and etc. Sold it in April of 05 with 8,000 miles on it for a significant loss.

Purchased a nice Valkyrie Interstate with low mileage on Monday of the same week I sold the Ultra Classic. Road it two days and sold it on Thursday. Steering was too heavy and wife hated it. Did make $1,500 on it though.

Tried another Road Glide from May '05 through the fall of '06. This one was black. New fairing design was better than the old and the bike was ok but still had the same old HD problems as well as a bunch of new sterio related issues. Couldn't keep the trunk (tourpak) tight and I just couldn't get rid of that nagging feeling that there was something better out there. Sold it last fall and started shopping for a used Goldwing.

Well, gave up on finding a used one and yesterday I went and picked up my shiney new '07 orange abs/nav/com/audio. Rode it the 186 miles back home and giggled like a silly school girl the whole way. I'm so happy.
I too went through a couple of bikes before I found the best tourer.
Ride SAFE

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Oh you didn't let the lady on it now! All the bling bling you would want is now going to her choice of bling blings (options) Best of luck, check the nuts on the trunk hinges, just add second nuts to them. Check rear differential lvl, unscrew cap and dip finger in. Some bikes were a little low new. Finger tighten back on too. around 12 inch lbs torque if i remeber right. And not sure if anymore issues with the drive shaft boot cover like first three years. We had to burn a tiny hole in it to release possible air preassure issue. Best of luck !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts