GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My job is looking a little questionable thanks to all of the computer programming jobs that are being sent to India, so I may have to sell my wing. :cry: My concern is what if the potential buyer wants to take a test ride. Do they know how to ride? If they crash, will my insurance cover it? What if they get hurt in a crash? What do all of you guys think? Would you allow someone to test ride your bike?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm selling my cruiser... I always ride the Wing now... and
I'm going through the same thing. My insurance is for ME
as the rider. My understanding is that if someone else is
riding the bike, they aren't covered.
I have a co-worker who allowed a potential buyer to test
ride his BMW and ended up wrecking it. Insurance wouldn't
cover it, but the guy did pay for the repairs.
I seriously doubt I'll be allowing test rides, but I'll be
interested in hearing the experiences of other sellers.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Re

Unless your bike has excessive miles on it, and/or the warranty has run out, the prospective buyer shouldn't need a test ride. The quality and reputation of the GoldWing AND it's owners should speak for itself. I know VERY few 'Wing owners who are not fanatics about bike maintenance and keeping them clean. If they want to test ride ask them if THEIR insurance will cover it...I think that will stop them.

G

·
when I was selling my Aspencade the guy wanted to test drive it, I said sure but I'll ned to ride along....BIG mistake, I thought I was gonna die. He really punched it out on the highway and on curves. He may have been drunk as he was smelling of JD. The other three bikes I sold with NO test drive availible ( I think I mentioned insurance reasons ) :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've sold maybe a dozen bikes over the past bunch of years. Never any test rides. If the potential buyer is really insistent you may want to take them for a ride with them riding pillion.

But I'd never allow a stranger to ride off into the sunset on my motorcycle unless they had put the full price in cash in my hand first.

As I said, I've sold a few bikes in my life and that's never posed a problem for me.

Hope you don't have to sell, but good luck if you do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Easy question to answer, rare is the dealer who will let you test ride any bike before you buy. Think about that. I had to go to bike week in Daytona to test ride a GL1800, 'round trip of 400 miles from south Florida! By the way, I bought one!

Our daughter sold her CBR100XX by riding it along side the perspective buyer, as a passenger in his own car; he was impressed, and bought it!

RJ..aka...Whitefang

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
If the potential buyer had a motorcycle license and proof of insurance,I would let him test ride it after I took his name and address from the license.
I don't think I would buy a bike without test riding,and wouldn't expect anyone else to either.
The dealer I bought mine from let me test ride it.If he hadn't I might not own one yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Phone your insurance agent and ask them. It they will not cover the rider, then you would be a fool to let someone ride it.

If someone is really serious, they can agree to buy the bike (ie sign the paperwork) and get insurance over the phone. If they don't like it for some reason, then just rip up the paperwork.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have sold a few bikes in my time. NO TEST RIDES PERIOD!!! no need to repeat the reasons why. I will take a potential buyer for a ride. Most dealers dont offer test rides which bespeaks volumnes to me, whether you have a motorcycle endorsement or not. I have also bought used bikes, and being a passenger worked for me.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I've got to admit that I'm pretty ignorant on the process of buying a bike, as this is the first bike I've bought from a dealer and only the second one I've ever owned.

I would not have bought the bike without a test ride, and would've walked away from the process if I hadn't been allowed one first. I needed to see if it was all it was cracked up to be, and if it fit me properly.

My dealer (Everett Powersports) handed me the keys and said "have fun". I left my wife and kids sitting at the dealership for almost an hour while I put it through its' paces - no mention was ever made of whether I had motorcycle insurance or not. (They did copy my insurance card, though and it does cover me while driving any non-commercial vehicle).

I would expect the same option for buying a used bike and wouldn't look at one if I couldn't ride it first.

·
Registered
368 Posts
No test rides! The only exception would be if you have his money in your hand. I let the guy who bought my Valk ride it before signing the paperwork, but I had his cashiers check and he had driven over 300 miles with a trailer to come get it. If someone insists, take them as a passenger.

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Wow that is something. I have test drove every bike I have ever bought, even the brand new 97 Valkyrie. The dealer handed me the keys and before I turned around I knew I was going to buy it. My last Harley was used and I test drove that too. All the bikes I have ever sold I let the guys ride it first. I guess I'm one of those trusting guys. :roll: Do whatever makes you feel good I guess. Me, I wouldn't think twice about it, I would let them test drive it, that's just how I am I guess.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
The last bike I sold, I required that the person have a motorcycle endorsement on their license. No excuses. If you don't have an endorsement, then find someone who does to test ride the bike for you.

I met them in the evening at a large high school parking lot to ride the bike... that way there was no traffic, and plenty of paved area to ride. That also allowed room for turning and maneuvering. The lot was large enough that speeds of 45 mph could be obtained.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I would never ever allow a test ride on one of my bikes, except for a few conditions.

I know the person and know that the person can handle the size bike in question.

The person that gets through condition 1 above, must have a motorcycle endorsement.

I do not want a potential buyer of a used motorcycle of mine, to get the bike and my house all for the same price, FREE!

Bulldog

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not sure about other states, but in Nebraska if you have a vehicle advertised for sale and some one other than a listed driver (usually you and your family) wrecks it, or if it's stolen while in thier possesion you're out of luck.
I learned this the hard way with a very sweet, custom 64 Chevelle that was stolen.
My cousin had it in KC and it was stolen there.
No car, no insurance check.
Luckily for me my cousin eventually paid me for it.
If you're inclined to let some one ride your bike be sure and check with your agent first. An OK in writting would be good.
Not only are you putting your bike at risk, your liablility exposure if some one were hurt could make the Gold Wing look cheap.

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another thought is to draw up a contract and have the prospective buyer and you the seller sign allowing a 30 min. test ride after the money and bill of sale have changed hands.

If the bike is brought back in the same condition it left and the buyer doesn't want it you will return his money and tear up the bill of sale.

Gordon 8)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I don't let a guy test ride my bike until I have cash in hand. This separates the serious buyer from the lookie-loos and those that want a free ride. The only exceptions are from those that I know, or were referred by a person I know.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i sold two bikes in the last few months. i didnt allow a test ride on either one.

both were sold on ebay. one shipped and the other was picked up. the buyer inspected it, heard it run. he asked for a test run. i countered with the old no license plates and no insurance thing.

had i been forced, i wouldnt have allowed a test ride--no matter what. i already had a cash deposit any way. and yes i would have kept it if the buyer backed out. the bike is legaly mine until i sign the papers. regardless of what is said. if he craches, its my problem. then try selling a crashed bike--even if repaired correctly.

so yes its a touchy thing. in the case of a goldwing, the buyer can go to a dealer to try one out.

loren

·
Registered
436 Posts
Test ride...

Phoward,

First off I hope you maintain your job or find another without having to accept a lesser income.

Second about the test ride on your Wing. I was allowed to test ride the Wing I currently have before buying it from the dealer. However, I'm not sure if I would allow someone to test ride mine if I had to sell especially considering your job situation.

I know it may sound selfish on my part but I would have been responsible had I done something to the Wing on my test ride from the dealer. But I also would be responsible if I allow someone else to test ride my Wing if I were to sell it as the owner. Have the potential buyer come on this board to see all of the success stories in having a Wing and I'm sure they would accept that as well as a test ride.

Good luck to you and be smart about it. :blw1:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts