GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the imc headsets available from Sierra. They are less than 1/2 the price of J&M and a lot cheaper than Edsets. I normally go with adage that you get what you pay for, but I have heard some good things about these. Has anyone got experience with them, and if so how are they for music and CB.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I've had mine for several months. For music reproduction they are as good as high quality home stereo headphones but with a bit of rise in the upper midrange. Bass is quite strong down to around 60 hz or so- you might have to turn bass down with the bike tone controls. These are subjective, not measured.

They are quite thin compared to the J&M's so can be placed almost anywhere inside the helmet. If your helmet has the deepwell's, you'll need to pus some filler in them.

As with any headset, speaker placement is absolutely critical. We used velcro with sticky backs until we found "the spot" then sewed the permanent velcro in place. This allows us to move the speakers around quite a bit but still allows a "home" spot for reference.

Now for the mic. It's much smaller than the J&M's and it's foam protector is small, too. You'll probably need the 'glove finger' over the end of it to help keep down wind noise just like on the J&M. It's not a full range mic but works well in the voice range. Be careful not to twist it too much as it won't survive turning over much more than 180 degrees. You may have to turn it over to get the mic facing the mouth but be careful. It will need to be placed directly centered vertically on your lips, too as it appears to be a very directional pickup.

David M.
a bit long winded today

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

Thanks for the input guys. The IMC headsets sound like they are worth a try, I'll let the list now my impressions once I get them installed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
source

Sierra Electronics carries the IMC headsets. I have bought from them before and they are very good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts