GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever use the IMC headsets. I am talking about the ones that can be worn with a shorty helmet or no helmet at all. They sure have a good price.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Anybody ever use the IMC headsets. I am talking about the ones that can be worn with a shorty helmet or no helmet at all. They sure have a good price.
I have these, but rarely use them "helmetless" as they a fairly light and move around too much. The weight of the cable can pull them off your ears. I'm guessing they'd work better with a shorty helmet, where the straps can hold them in place.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have these, but rarely use them "helmetless" as they a fairly light and move around too much. The weight of the cable can pull them off your ears. I'm guessing they'd work better with a shorty helmet, where the straps can hold them in place.
Thanks, other than the loose fit how do they perform, if you don't mind me asking.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Thanks, other than the loose fit how do they perform, if you don't mind me asking.
They actually work very well...., just a bit too light to be used comfoprtably without a helmet. In fact, I carry a headset around with me in the trunk in case I need them in a pinch.

What price did you see them..., I think mine were $75 a set from Sierra.

-

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have a couple sets and I find that they sound really good. I also found that if you put the cord through the "Y" portion of your shorty helmet strap, they'll stay in place better. the corded side will tend to drop down unless you support the cord through the "Y" or figure out some other method to do so. Overall quality is good, and like I said earlier the sound is very good.:cool:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They actually work very well...., just a bit too light to be used comfoprtably without a helmet. In fact, I carry a headset around with me in the trunk in case I need them in a pinch.

What price did you see them..., I think mine were $75 a set from Sierra.

-
I found them for $80, $75 and on one website for $70 (I think the $70 one was at ChromeWorks. I think they were located in NH). Does the intercom automatically cut in over the music or is that a built-in function of the bike? (Forgive me I am new to the wing). Also do you have any trouble with the wind cutting in and activating them? We were at the falls a couple of years ago and thought they were beautiful. I found it interesting that the U.S. side was National Park and the Canadian side was commerical and reminded me of Gatlingurg Tenn. down here in my neck-o-the-woods.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Does the intercom automatically cut in over the music or is that a built-in function of the bike? (Forgive me I am new to the wing). Also do you have any trouble with the wind cutting in and activating them?
Yes, the audio system controls the mic and audio and how it overlaps. There's also a setting in the audio controls) that controls how much other devices over-shadow the radio. You can get a product called Mic-Mutes that actually turns the mic off when you're not using it, eliminating and wind/road noise. Do a scan here for "mic mutes" and you'll find lots of info.

We were at the falls a couple of years ago and thought they were beautiful. I found it interesting that the U.S. side was National Park and the Canadian side was commercial and reminded me of Gatlingurg Tenn. down here in my neck-o-the-woods.
On the US side, the park area is indeed a national Park, but on the Canadian side, the roads going past the falls is a regular public roadway, open to the normal development schemes. Niagara Falls (Canadian side) has always been a huge tourist area and has developed accordingly. :lol:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found them for $80, $75 and on one website for $70 (I think the $70 one was at ChromeWorks. I think they were located in NH). Does the intercom automatically cut in over the music or is that a built-in function of the bike? (Forgive me I am new to the wing). Also do you have any trouble with the wind cutting in and activating them? We were at the falls a couple of years ago and thought they were beautiful. I found it interesting that the U.S. side was National Park and the Canadian side was commerical and reminded me of Gatlingurg Tenn. down here in my neck-o-the-woods.
Excuse me it was NOT "chromeworks"!! It was chromeworld.com.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
IMC Headsets

I have a set and my sister and brotherinlaw have them to. I have never had them come loose and move. My sister did and made some kind of hookup to her dew rag. They sound real good and are louder than the headset in the helmet.:thumbup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a set and my sister and brotherinlaw have them to. I have never had them come loose and move. My sister did and made some kind of hookup to her dew rag. They sound real good and are louder than the headset in the helmet.:thumbup:
I don't use mine all the time, but my wife and I like them. When I first got them and tried them, the sound was so clear and loud that I thought my bike speakers were on.

Mine doesn't move around much, but the left side, where the cord comes down tends to rest on the top of the left ear, pushing down. After abour a half hour or so, the left ear starts to hurt.

I have thought about buying some foam to put on them to add some cushion on the top of the ear, but I might try running the cord through the Y or V section of my half helmet strap to see if that takes some of the weight off.

Right side never bothers me, but of course, there isn't any added weight on it.

Of course, you'll face the same problem with wind as you would with JM. Still working on that.

I sure miss my Autocomm I had on my BMW, vox was the bomb. Didn't have all the wind noise.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
IMC Headsets

This is what we use when we don't want to wear the helmets, (too hot).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I sure miss my Autocomm I had on my BMW, vox was the bomb. Didn't have all the wind noise.
My son installed his AUTOCOM on his Goldwing and is using it instead of the standard Goldwing system. A cinch to install... works like a charm, plus we can still go bike to bike!

Ride 'em safe....! :thumbup:

Best regards,
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts