GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3 JIS screws that hold the right mirror on are to tight to remove with just a regular JIS screwdriver so I have been considering buying a battery operated impact driver, just Wondering if you folks have any helpful advice about trying that ?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I assume you've tried to loosen the screws by first trying to rotate them a small bit clockwise (tighten) to break them loose?

If that fails, I would try a manual impact driver first.

That way you will only give one light hammer blow at a time, and you will have less of a chance to strip the heads.

·
Vendor
16,369 Posts
Use a manual impact for those. I should add that you will need a 1/4" drive JIS bit. Use adapters down to 1/4 drive with a 1/4 socket and a JIS bit. The best screws for mirrors are OEM ones using a correct bit when installing and removing.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Just a suggestion. When you finally get them out go to the hardware store and buy hex head bolts to put back in. My '09 came with those and they made R/R of the mirrors a snap.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
The manual ones are better. All it takes is one shot in the wrong direction with the powered impact, and the threads are stripped.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Take a old JIS screwdriver and put it on the screw as if to try and loosen it, but do not turn. Then hit end of screw driver sharply, firmly and straight with a "good" whack with a hammer. Next take your good JIS screw driver to loosen the screw. This method has worked many times on stubborn screws without the risk of messing up the screw to make removable even more difficult.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Take a old JIS screwdriver and put it on the screw as if to try and loosen it, but do not turn. Then hit end of screw driver sharply, firmly and straight with a "good" whack with a hammer. Next take your good JIS screw driver to loosen the screw. This method has worked many times on stubborn screws without the risk of messing up the screw to make removable even more difficult.
They also sell these in #2https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VESSEL-980-Series-P-2-150-JIS-MEGADORA-Impacta-Cross-Point-Screwdriver-F-S/174011200464?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26a

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Be careful with impact drivers on those screws.

Those screws don't thread into the metal mount directly, they thread into nuts that are only tack-welded at the corners on the back side of the mount. I'm dealing with one right now that broke loose, and getting it re-attached to that mount is [email protected]#%@!.

I would try a small amount of PB'laster first, or a micro-torch before I would whack away at it with a hammer.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I love my battery impact driver. I have two of those old Vessel manual hammer operated things from 1976 as well. I will never, ever use them again. Use a good JIS bit of correct size, put the bit in your battery driver, apply pressure to insure the bit is solidly in the screw, hit the trigger for just a quick burst and you are done. What seems tight and impossible by hand is effortless every time.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You can also try some of this stuff to increase the grip on the screw.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
You can also try some of this stuff to increase the grip on the screw.
Works as advertised. Salesman gave me a small tube as a sample and I've used it with good results on stubborn screw heads to prevent the screwdriver from slipping off.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The 3 JIS screws that hold the right mirror on are to tight to remove with just a regular JIS screwdriver so I have been considering buying a battery operated impact driver, just Wondering if you folks have any helpful advice about trying that ?
The battery operated impact driver is a great tool. I have several times thought of buying one but have yet to pick one up. What always stops me is that I have a hand impact driver that has always worked perfectly.
Impact Driver and Bits.jpg
They do not require batteries and at $19 they are about 1/5 the price of an electric impact driver.

You may need an extended bit to get to the screws on the right mirror but you would probably need one anyway with the electric impact driver.

·
Registered
20,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THANKS for all the comments, I have ordered a Couple different bits and a bottle of that EZ Grip stuff, will borrow battery operated impact driver from a friend and if I like it might actually buy one.
Not much riding these days because of the Corona thing so I have plenty of time to monkey around with this little project.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
i would definitely use a impact tool adjustable. But first I would try adjusting a portable drill and set the tension in reverse like its a impact tool. thats a little screw and should be enough. Maybe a little blow dryer heat. good luck

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Use a manual impact for those. I should add that you will need a 1/4" drive JIS bit. Use adapters down to 1/4 drive with a 1/4 socket and a JIS bit. The best screws for mirrors are OEM ones using a correct bit when installing and removing.
I replaced mine with allen head bolts. One nice thing is that the wrench holds the screw when re-installing.

·
Registered
16,629 Posts
Years ago Waldo recommended a Makita brand rechargable impact driver for small to medium hardware. I had a rear caliper pad retention bolt suck that PB Blaster, Keytone and ATF, and even Kroil would not loosen. I tried all the other tricks and even my manual impact with BFH but staying within limits less than what would break the bolt, all failed. I got the little Makita and thought it would not work, but after about two minutes of zapping that bolt it started to spin out. The same kit is no longer marketed so far as I know, but they work.

Cycledude, what ever you do, one good tip is to dip your JIS bit into valve grinding compound and then tap it into the screw head before torquing.

prs

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Years ago Waldo recommended a Makita brand rechargable impact driver for small to medium hardware. I had a rear caliper pad retention bolt suck that PB Blaster, Keytone and ATF, and even Kroil would not loosen. I tried all the other tricks and even my manual impact with BFH but staying within limits less than what would break the bolt, all failed. I got the little Makita and thought it would not work, but after about two minutes of zapping that bolt it started to spin out. The same kit is no longer marketed so far as I know, but they work.

Cycledude, what ever you do, one good tip is to dip your JIS bit into valve grinding compound and then tap it into the screw head before torquing.

prs
I bought that same kit (refurbished) shortly after Waldo posted it and have used it with good results over the yrs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts