GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the tire out the back end for the first time over the weekend. I'd never removed the amp before. I found the box cover to be in pretty bad shape and the amp was filthy. Should i replace the rubber cover over the box? The cover to the box currently seems pretty useless with lots of places for water and dirt to get in.

I had difficulty getting the amp of the box. After removing the 4 bolts in the side of the box and the sleeves, the amp still did not seem to want to come out. Should I just pull harder?

(I'll be really glad when I get this work done so I can stop asking stupid questions and actually ride again!)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm curious about why you want(ed) to take that off. If it is working????

·
Vendor
21,959 Posts
Is the rubber cover torn or ripped? As long as it isn't, I wouldn't replace it. It isn't meant to fit tightly, and the amp box has a drain at the bottom anyway. It does get pretty filthy from the rear wheel, and this is normal, but it shouldn't hurt it any since the amp itself is pretty well sealed up.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the rubber cover torn or ripped? As long as it isn't, I wouldn't replace it. It isn't meant to fit tightly, and the amp box has a drain at the bottom anyway. It does get pretty filthy from the rear wheel, and this is normal, but it shouldn't hurt it any since the amp itself is pretty well sealed up.
Mine is not ripped, but I was really uncertain as to how well the cover should seal the amp from the elements.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The amp has a rather excellent water-proofing rating. Not sure what it actually is, but it would not surprise me much if it would work at 50 ft. deep just fine. The rubber cover is really only to reduce the hurricane conditions it likely gets riding at 55 in a Mississippi rain storm for a long day. There are some that will cut the rubber some to get more slack in the wire so they do not have to unplug it under the seat to get the box out of the way of wheel removal. I never thought that seat removal was that difficult and let the rubber cover do what it can as is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts