GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is not broken, but I feel it's necessary to post this so that future issues with this won't lead to other damaged parts. Back in 2005-6 there was a thread about a starter that kept turning the engine over even with the key off. At that time the discussion between Stu O, Fred H, and I led to removing the RVS B FUSE to stop it. After a few years, this was discovered by Fred H. to be a bad idea, because of the way Honda designed the reverse circuit. Pulling this fuse only slows down the starter and allows it to continue to run through the reverse resistor assembly possibly burning it up and still draining the battery. For this reason you should no longer consider pulling the fuse as a viable way to kill the run-on starter. DO NOT attempt to engage reverse or you will cause damage to the reverse gear requiring the engine to have to be removed from the frame for an expensive repair. Removing the battery's negative cable is the only safe way to stop it until you can find and fix the culprit.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.