GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been trying to import a trip into the Gps on my Wing 2018.
So far no success,, I’ve contacted Honda support and they are more useless than my dealer on this subject.
Anyone know of a workable method as to how to import a route?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've only done it a couple times but believe it has to be a gpx file, whatever that means. Turn bike on and go to "routes", it should ask you if you want to import. Going from memory with limited experience so it may be incorrect.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Use the honda trip planner:

Trip Planner Link

and export to GPX, put on a memory stick, and upload to NAv.

Protips include to be very precise when planting way-points on the map, so your bike physically passes through them. If you don't, the software will reroute you until you do (at least that is what I heard).

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
There are also filename restrictions.

• A file which has *, /,“, ?, :, or space in the filename is not displayed.

Which means that even though you have it on the usb, the bike will not display it so you can pick it to import.

If this is the issue, use filemanager ont he computer to rename.

Also, the USB must be FAT32 for this purpose. (if you are using one formatted for NTFS, (as was necessary for the nav update), it won't work for mp3's and routes unless formatted back to FAT32
(USB flash drive Standard USB 2.0/3.0

File systems FAT32 (recommendation), FAT16, HFS+
Storage capacities From 256 MB to 64 GB
Maximum hierarchies 8
Maximum folders 512
Maximum files 65,524 files (same limitation in one folder)
Maximum file/ folder name size 255 characters
Maximum file size 2 GB (in single file)

EDIT:
What stage are you stuck at?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. I will try the suggestions. I’ve made the routes in Honda Trip planner and tried to import them with no success, I made sure the names had no spaces. I do have a Garmin Montana mounted on my bike that works fine, but the screen is small and I am hoping to use the bike Gps? It’s the first Gps I’ve ever seen that won’t take last and Lon.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here's a guide I put together. It works for me,

Honda Trip Planner

1. No longer an 8 waypoint limit Right click to enter waypoint, called a “stop” by trip planner. Zoom in BIG to make sure waypoints are on the road. First waypoint should be at least a few blocks away.
2. Save it. No spaces or characters. Download to your PC.
3. Drag & drop route to the usb.
4. Take USB to the bike.

ON BIKE
1. Turn on bike.
2. Plug in usb.
3. Press Center Enter Button (ENT)
4. Scroll to Navigation (ENT)
5. Select Menu (ENT)
6. Clear route (if one exists ---) (ENT)
7. Scroll to Routes (ENT)
8. Scroll to Import route (ENT)
9. Import All (or just the one you want) (ENT)
10. Press Home – Turn off Ignition & remove USB

TO SELECT & FOLLOW ROUTE
1. From GPS screen (ENT)
2. Select Menu (ENT)
3. Select Routes. (ENT)
4. Select desired route from list (ENT)
5. Set the route as Destination (ENT)
6. Nav voice will say it's calculating
7. Select Go (ENT) when you are ready to begin route.
8. Navi then displays complete route and also the route from current location to the first waypoint that was entered in Trip Planner. That point should be at least a few blocks away.
9. If you distribute the route to other GPS users, their units will direct them to the first waypoint from their start location.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Should be able to do routes with more than 8 points IF the Nav Update has been installed.

The limit is/was the bike, not TripPlanner.

I have a 20 point test route, done in TripPlanner, on a usb.
As soon as it's warm enough to wake up the bikes and install the nav update I'll verify that the bike will accept/upload and display/run the route.

And while we're on importing, a maximum of 15 routes can be saved.
If that many exist, an existing route will need to be deleted to use ImportRoute.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here's a guide I put together. It works for me,

Honda Trip Planner

1. No longer an 8 waypoint limit Right click to enter waypoint, called a “stop” by trip planner. Zoom in BIG to make sure waypoints are on the road. First waypoint should be at least a few blocks away.
2. Save it. No spaces or characters. Download to your PC.
3. Drag & drop route to the usb.
4. Take USB to the bike.

ON BIKE
1. Turn on bike.
2. Plug in usb.
3. Press Center Enter Button (ENT)
4. Scroll to Navigation (ENT)
5. Select Menu (ENT)
6. Clear route (if one exists ---) (ENT)
7. Scroll to Routes (ENT)
8. Scroll to Import route (ENT)
9. Import All (or just the one you want) (ENT)
10. Press Home – Turn off Ignition & remove USB

TO SELECT & FOLLOW ROUTE
1. From GPS screen (ENT)
2. Select Menu (ENT)
3. Select Routes. (ENT)
4. Select desired route from list (ENT)
5. Set the route as Destination (ENT)
6. Nav voice will say it's calculating
7. Select Go (ENT) when you are ready to begin route.
8. Navi then displays complete route and also the route from current location to the first waypoint that was entered in Trip Planner. That point should be at least a few blocks away.
9. If you distribute the route to other GPS users, their units will direct them to the first waypoint from their start location.

Trip planner works absolutely perfect when following these spot on directions, no problem for me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You do have the latest firmware loaded on the GPS right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The **** snow is to deep to get to my “toy shed” , I had to spend the day plowing snow to get to my bike.
I’ll try it today.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Strange that hou have 25 waypoints possibility in the Honda tripplanner and 99 in the Gps.
Of course, this is better than 25 in trip planner and 8 in the gps....:serious:

Fortunately the gps can store multiple routes.

Since the route files are tiny it's possible to carry 1000's more on the same usb that's being used for audio files to enjoy while riding those routes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Can you describe what software you used to create your route and how you are trying to load it? Also, check that there are no spaces in the file name.
My bike is in Minnesota, where we are expecting another 8-12 inches of snow tomorrow. Riding probably won't take place until mid-April at the earliest.

While I have the new software on my computer, I have yet to install it on the bike. Does the new software require the gps file to be "washed" in GPS Babel as FredH highlighted in a video, or does it behave normally now. I use Garmin BaseCamp for all my planning.

·
Registered
468 Posts
They, Honda trip planner, are suppose to be working on getting more waypoints in trip planner. They are probably getting tired of my emails and calls

1 - 19 of 19 Posts