GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Ding today. Crowded was the word for the vendors. Not enough space for vendors and installers. The Ding was better when it was in Greenville, S.C. Rode out to the Demos, lot of 2012 wings, but the demos were full. Got to ride a Dyna Glide HD, not going to sell my Wing. Totally different ride, no where near the power and the heat coming off the engine cooked my right leg. Also rode my first trike, different, but an option in 30 years. Rain was around yesterday and today, got wet. One scary moment was when I was going back to Alcoa on 129 a tire tube from a truck came over the wall, bouncing down the highway. It was raining and I have a tire tube bouncing toward me. I swerved a little and the tire tube hit my left saddle bag. When I stopped for lunch, I had black streaks from the tire tube on the bag. No damage. Leaving in the morning for Va for a family Vacation, then the BRP next Sat.

Drumz(ster)
:doorag:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harley Davidson, of some sort. I think it was a Dyna or Heritage Softtail.

Drumz

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks for the info. I hear the event next year is gonna be in Madison,WI.
May take a ride there and take a look see.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wing Ding next year is in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I just left Wing Ding today around noon. I personally think its rediculous to have to pay $15 to enter just to see all the vendors where most people are going to dump a ton of money anyway. This is my 3rd Wing Ding, dont know when I will go to another one. I enjoy seeing all the Gold Wing accessories, but I get so sick and tired of all booths that have nothing to do with motorcycles, where the salesman are like a bunch of vulchers hunting you down trying to get you to come over and look at their product. If I am interested in what they are selling, then I will approach them, otherwise leave me the hell alone.

Overall this is gonna be a good trip though. Left Weds AM and stayed in Alcoa, near Knoxville. Did Deals Gap on the way. Rode down to Chattanooga yesterday to see the famous "Southern Powersports". Tonight I am in Tazewell, Va and will be riding a lot of fun roads in the Virginia mountains tomorrow, spend the night on the road tomorrow night and head home Sunday..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I stopped by about 4 pm and there was still a line of people entering the building. Vendors looked very busy. Alot of stuff to see and buy. Picked up a shirt and some polish. May go back tomorrow morning if the SO is interested in looking around.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I never understood why anyone would take a demo ride at wingding, the hoot, or anything like that

Why not go on tuesday to your local dealer and ride one for a couple hours, and really see if you like it, or ride 6 of them for 20 minutes each and burn their gas???

When Laura was in need of a bike a couple years ago, the BMW dealer took a brand new 800gs off the showroom for her to test, he gave me an rt to ride along with her. The honda dealer took a vtx 1800 off the floor, and let her test it. The HD dealer begs you to ride one of theirs the victory dealer gies away tshirts to take one or more out. The Honda dealer let me take a new st1300 out while they worked on my wing , etc etc. I took a spyder out while they prepped my new wing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a demo ride today for something to do. I have plenty of riding coming up this week. I looked at the vendors for about 4 hours so I wanted something to do. I ride the Wing that belonged to my Dad, therefore I am never changing bikes unless something catostrophic happens.

Drumz

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I never understood why anyone would take a demo ride at wingding, the hoot, or anything like that

Why not go on tuesday to your local dealer and ride one for a couple hours, and really see if you like it, or ride 6 of them for 20 minutes each and burn their gas??? . . .
I've never been to a Wind Ding (yet), but finding dealers who will allow demo rides is getting more and more scarce. The dealer near me who used to allow demo rides stopped doing it, and told me that his liability insurance company told him in no uncertain terms that they would cancel his policy if he continued to allow it.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
That's ridiculous, when was the last time that you bought a pair of shoes without trying them on? If I am going to buy a $25K motorcycle then I want to ride it before I buy it. Just makes no sense. Their loss, not mine!

Liability insurance for a dealership not wanting you to test ride a bike is....NUTS! Go where they will let you ride one.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I went to Southern Powersports last week to pick up a helmet and the sales manager chased me down in the store and BEGGED me to test ride a VFR 1200. Even after I told him I wasn't interested in a new bike he said he had to get 4 more test riders before closing time. I guess he has a quota to meet?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was there on Wed for my first WingDing, had to see what it was all about. I took advantage of the fairly cheap price of tires and install which I needed anyway so perfect timing. Also to kill two birds with one stone, was to also ride the parkways and the tail of the dragon which was great.

I got lucky and didn't have to wait to long for the shuttle buses from the parking lot but i felt sorry for the people after me as the line up doubled by the time I boarded plus there was very little shade for the people waiting. They finally brought another bus online to help out, I'm sure there were lots of complaints about that.

Overall, I thought it was ok, lots of stuff to buy and watching the pinstrippers at work was cool as well. Now that I know what to expect if I go again, I might be able to plan to bring more money for maybe a few more accesories because looking at everything gives you lots of ideas.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not very impressed at Wing Ding, we got to the convention center at 9:00 was sent to the parking area way down the road. After a long wait for the bus to drive us back to the convention center we finally got in the building at 11:40. Wife was a little upset with the wait for the bus wanted to go back to the Hotel after the first hour. When we got on the bus the driver of that bus said he was at the office doing paperwork and heard the other 2 buses could not keep up so he called for more drivers and brought a bus down. He told us that the folks running Wing Ding said they would only need 2 buses to move everyone back and forth. This was our first Wing Ding and the boss said she thought it would be our last.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Went to the Ding today. Crowded was the word for the vendors. Not enough space for vendors and installers. The Ding was better when it was in Greenville, S.C. Rode out to the Demos, lot of 2012 wings, but the demos were full. Got to ride a Dyna Glide HD, not going to sell my Wing. Totally different ride, no where near the power and the heat coming off the engine cooked my right leg. Also rode my first trike, different, but an option in 30 years. Rain was around yesterday and today, got wet. One scary moment was when I was going back to Alcoa on 129 a tire tube from a truck came over the wall, bouncing down the highway. It was raining and I have a tire tube bouncing toward me. I swerved a little and the tire tube hit my left saddle bag. When I stopped for lunch, I had black streaks from the tire tube on the bag. No damage. Leaving in the morning for Va for a family Vacation, then the BRP next Sat.

Drumz(ster)
:doorag:
Drunz glad to see you didn't end up with any damage, bad enough to dodge a obstacle with out it raining, I live in this area and took the week off to spend one day at the Ding and the rest of the week showing some friends from Arkansas around, we got rained on every day and still had a good time. I did spend to much money at the Ding and still had a good time despite the busing issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This was my first time at a Wing Ding. I was not on my bike, home leg of a business trip. $22 is too much for admission.

Had no trouble finding parking at 8 am yesterday, which is the only day I attended. The parking meter would not take my credit card and did not supply change so I overpaid for parking. I gave my parking receipt to someone else as I was leaving, it was good for the entire day.

My main reason for attending was to be able to try out some saddles. Saddles are like helmets, IMO, in that you should try before you buy. I really liked the "Ultimate King". Of course, it was the most expensive because I want to keep the heated feature I have now. Corbin was not at the show, that I could find. Are they very similar?

Overall the coolest thing for me was all the Goldwings. I am used to seeing Harley, Harley, Harley, Goldwing. Here it was Goldwing, Goldwing, Goldwing, Harley!:yes1:

Curtis

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
I never understood why anyone would take a demo ride at wingding, the hoot, or anything like that<...>
I have asked for a test ride; have never had one - until after I signed the paperwork - on any bike I have owned. :biker:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is Wing Ding an East Coast or Midwest thing?

The Gold Wing is a fairly popular motorcycle and conventions like Wing Ding tend to draw a lot of people with money in their pockets. I wonder why the organizers choose cities like Knoxville and Greenville over places like Las Vegas, Atlanta, Dallas, Indianapolis, San Diego, etc., that can accommodate a large convention with ease.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Wing Ding next year is in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I just left Wing Ding today around noon. I personally think its rediculous to have to pay $15 to enter just to see all the vendors where most people are going to dump a ton of money anyway..
It is a disservice to the vendors who are paying a small fortune for booth space.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
The Gold Wing is a fairly popular motorcycle and conventions like Wing Ding tend to draw a lot of people with money in their pockets. I wonder why the organizers choose cities like Knoxville and Greenville over places like Las Vegas, Atlanta, Dallas, Indianapolis, San Diego, etc., that can accommodate a large convention with ease.

Probably for the rides. Now why Ft. Wayne, Indiana? Who knows? I might go if it were in Las Vegas. However, it is VERY difficult to arrange a convention in Vegas, they stay booked year round. Too damn hot in Dallas and NOTHING to see here, except for our one twisty.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts