GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode from upstate NY to Charleston with a full trailer and the brake pad appear pretty worn (just had the bike inspected!!!) Any one know a reputable dealer here or an idea. I have about 3 days. Thanks. Reply to [email protected].

·
Registered
775 Posts
what model of bike? if you are talking about an 1800, you can change them in the parking lot with minimal tools (tools in the tool kit) You dont need to remove the tires, just place the bike on the center stand.

If you have any mechanical ability's at all, this is super easy.

I just replaced the rear pads on mine last week in a parking lot. Took me less than 10 minutes, and that included getting the tools out.

Use a flat screwdriver to pry the old pads away from the rotors (makes putting in the new, thicker ones possible) pry the little plug out of the bottom of the caliper, which reveals an allen headed bolt. Back that bolt out and your old pads will fall out. Slip the new pads into place, reinstall the bolt and the plug and don't forget to pump your break levers several times to push the pistons back out against the rotors.

If its not an 1800, it can be a little more difficult........but still possible to do it your self.

I know, I know, people always say to take issues like brakes to a certified mechanic, but I am here to tell you, replacing pads on 99% of the Goldwings is a piece of cake and requires no exceptional skills. They are borderline idiot proof.

If you want more information, PM me with a cell phone number and I can walk you through it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Champion Honda and Velocity Power Sports are the two honda dealers in this immediate area. Both should be open on Tuesday. It may boil down to who has the parts in stock. Sumter Honda in Sumter or Carolina Honda in Columbia are the next closest. Sumter has a reputation for being great with Goldwings.

You didn't say if you wanted to put them on yourself or have the dealer do it. I haven't done brakes on a goldwing, only a Valkyrie. I have all the tools in a very hot garage if you want to buy parts and save labor.

Velocity's service department is bigger than Champions and there is a motel 200 feet up the road.

If you can ride 90 miles my first choice would be Sumter. After that it would be who has the parts and can get it done the quickest.

PM me if you have questions and I'll give you my phone number.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Before you push the pistons back into the caliper bores, clean them off with a short shot of brake cleaner so you don't score the bores and have to rebuild or replace the calipers. Adds about a minute to the job

·
Registered
698 Posts
Your post doesn't mention front or rear so be sure to check them all out...I believe that the front left pads wear faster than the front rights do...If i'm wrong then it's the other way around...I have a 50/50 chance of being right...or is that wrong...:eek:4:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Your post doesn't mention front or rear so be sure to check them all out...I believe that the front left pads wear faster than the front rights do...If i'm wrong then it's the other way around...I have a 50/50 chance of being right...or is that wrong...:eek:4:
You're right. The left front is linked to the rear, so it tends to wear faster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts