GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 is in for the frame recall at Manassas Honda, Manassas, VA. I had them do the ECM previously and went well. So, I decided to let them do the re-weld. Mine will the 7th one they have done.

I took it in on Saturday. They do two bikes each week. Their schedule is take apart & prep Monday & Tuesday, the welder comes in on Wednesday, reassemble the two bikes on Thursday & Friday.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

VA-Deano

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Best of luck with your recall. I had mine done, so I know all about that slightly nervous feeling. I can't speak for anyone else, but now that mine's done, I feel a lot better about the bike. Still going to keep an eye on the frame and on this forum to see how things go down the road.

Again, good luck and happy riding. This is a great bike!

John in Vegas

·
Registered
15 Posts
High anxiety

Brought mine in two weeks ago. Dealer here has to prep and then truck bike 100 miles down the road to Toronto. go back to pick it up. Here in Canada they have designated locations for the frame fix. I hope this means good quality control. Then I am having EMC, 38000 check and new tires. It will be a great relief when it is back in the garage. Of course, I will not be able to run it out until spring :evil:

I trust the dealer but can't stop having visions of the bike sitting out behind some shop in Toronto covered with snow.

Garage looks very bare without the beast lurking out the door. :(

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I should be getting mine back today. Honda had sent one of their representatives to observe 3 or 4 bikes being done, and commented that mine, although in the recall range, appeared to have been done correctly from the factory. I don't know how they could know that, unless they know more than their telling me, as I don't see how a MIG weld would look visually different from a TIG weld. They ground and rewelded it anyway. The good news was there were no visable cracks anywhere, and no one seemed to care that there was a trailer hitch installed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad News

Welder rewelded the left crossmenber joint. Welder ground off the right and there was a crack going from in front of the template mark all the way around the corner to almost the back mark. My bike went to the Homecoming "ONCE" this year.

Have not heard from Honda yet.

What should I expect now? How long before I get "the call?" Anything I should be expecting to answer on-the-spot when they call?

Thanks,

VA-Deano

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: Bad News

VA-Deano said:
Welder rewelded the left crossmenber joint. Welder ground off the right and there was a crack going from in front of the template mark all the way around the corner to almost the back mark. My bike went to the Homecoming "ONCE" this year.
I would expect them to truck the bike to Marysville and finish the job there. Might be a reweld, or replacement of the frame. I think that when they're done your bike will be as good as anyone else's.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Painting the welds?

Just got mine back from the frame recall-took 4 days! Pretty good. Bike is in same condition as it went in as and the welds kook good( I'm no welder,But have looked at the photos from Honda).
The one thing I did notice though is that the welds have not been painted! I remember that Honda specified 2 choices of paint-I got neither-just wire brush marks where the buffed them off. Still can see a little soot that they didn't quite get. Called the dealer and they said they haven't been painting any of them and that it shouldn't be a problem since it is aluminum. I'm inclined to agree, but thought I'd throw it out to you semi-metalurgists out there who may have input.
Jim :?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Re: Painting the welds?

Jama said:
Called the dealer and they said they haven't been painting any of them and that it shouldn't be a problem since it is aluminum. I'm inclined to agree, but thought I'd throw it out to you semi-metalurgists out there who may have input.
Jim :?
Well, I'm no metalurgist, semi or otherwise, but IIRC, Honda paints the frames precisely because aluminum is not imune from all types of corrosion. My frame welds did get re-painted, and I think if you call Honda, they'll confirm that the weld is supposed to be re-painted.

Glad to hear that the job was otherwise done properly!

John in Vegas

·
Vendor
22,091 Posts
GET THEM PAINTED!

Oh boy. This is a real problem. Those welds DEFINETLY need to be protected from water and any other corrosive elements (cleaning soaps, salt, chlorides etc.) Even chlorinated tap water can make aluminum corrode, and the welds are the most vulnerable due to the mixture of the filler material.

You should tell your dealer you want them painted and that he is wrong if he doesn't think aluminum corrodes.

·
Registered
533 Posts
VA-Deano,
I volunteered to be the first 1800 recalled at my central Maryland dealership on November 13th. My bike, the Black Pearl, has already had its ECM and engine heads replaced, so why not.

The Honda Regional reps were on hand as well as the new welder.

The bike was pared down for the roll over and then the inspection began. The experts found a hairline crack in the suspected area on the left side. The welder said that he couldn’t weld in the area because his equipment wouldn’t fit in the front facing area where the reservoir would normally be. The regional rep said that this crack is severe enough to be handled by the factory, but he would need to call for upper level confirmation, which he got.

They packaged up my bike, sent it back to the factory for repair and to be returned in the next week or 10 days. I got it back on December 10th. Not bad considering the Thanksgiving holiday.

Why aren’t I pissed about this? First, I think that the field repair plan for this recall is horse hockey; and second, I expect that Honda Maryville will do the right job since they have to be concerned about the huge mistake that they made.

My dealer (Honda PwrSpts of Crofton) gave me his bike whenever I needed it over the 10 day period that it was in Maryville. BTW, I think that having a responsive dealer is 98% of the outcome.

I feel that the ones of us whose bike goes back to the factory are in better hands than the local program.

Deadeye

·
Vendor
22,091 Posts
Hey DeadEye

DeadEye,

Do you know if Honda replaced your frame at the factory or if they rewelded it?

Any chance you could take a couple digital photos of your welds and email them to me? [email protected]

I would like to compare them to the ones that are being welded by the dealers.

By the way, I agree with you. In my opnion, the bikes that get sent back to Marysville will be better off than the ones welded locally.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here we are, Tuesday after learning of my crack during the re-weld last Wednesday and no call from Honda. I know the dealer sent in the photos per thier request and they too are waiting a call.

I guess Honda has to make a decision on taking it to Marysville of letting the local welder repair.

It continues......................

Happy Holidays,

VA-Deano

·
Vendor
22,091 Posts
Ask for a new frame

I personally would not agree to allowing my bike to be re-welded twice, due to the heat stress that welding puts on the temper of the aluminum. I question whether re-welding even once compromises the integrity of the aluminum, much less twice.

I would request that Honda replace the frame if it cracked after being re-welded, and I also would like to request that you report this to NHTSA, as it already looks like the Honda reweld patch has failed in at least one case.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Deano,

Even if you get on the phone tomorrow and bust both the dealers nutzz and those of Honda, I doubt that you will get the expected results.

We are coming into the worst time of the year to get anything done. I sent a package to DDKING, priority mail/insured on 12 Dec. It arrived at his home today. So much for priority, and no, I do not have to understand!

The time between Christmas and the first full work week of January is usually a bummer. Shops closed, people on vacation. Blue flu, people playing hooky etc.

I know that they will take care of you, but when. Sometimes just knowing that someone hears you, is better than nothing.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays

Bulldog

1 - 15 of 15 Posts