GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I have my new (to me) Spyder ST, and I almost immediately started missing my tunes while riding.

The ST does not have an integrated stereo or GPS.

I have a Schuberth E1 Pro helmet (similar to C3 Pro). SRC makes an in-helmet communicator system with streaming music options, but its $300 and the reviews aren't great.

Any suggestions? I have an iPhone 8, so no 3.5mm jack - Bluetooth only.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Throw a set of Air Pods in your ears or get one of the BT collars with ear buds and connect to your phone. Apple music or Pandora and your set.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throw a set of Air Pods in your ears or get one of the BT collars with ear buds and connect to your phone. Apple music or Pandora and your set.
Thanks. I am looking at a Cardo 1+ helmet communicator system. I never knew much about em until tonight. Pretty neat. This one even has an FM radio.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Cardo or Sena. Check reviews for both. Check YouTube comparisons.

I have a Sena 20s and like it. Heard Cardo is even better. But if you only need a music in your helmet either will do just fine. Get an used one for cheap and try. You can get Sena SMH5 or SMH10 for sub-$100.

If you don't like it (I doubt it) you can always sell it for about the same money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use a Sena 10S with Plug Phones ear buds. They block out the noise and give much better music than the standard Sena speakers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use a Sena 10S with Plug Phones ear buds. They block out the noise and give much better music than the standard Sena speakers.
Same here. Use a skullcap to make it easier to take the helmet on and off without it pulling or pushing on the earplugs.

But with a Spyder, if you don't need intercom and just need phone for music, your iPhone should have come with a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter. If it's missing they are less than $10 on amazon.
That will let you plug whatever you want into your iPhone. Basic PlugPhones are $15 on amazon.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Is there a way to control a Cardo or Sena from the headset itself? Unlocking the phone to shuffle songs is not a safe thing to do on 2, 3, or 4 wheels at 60 mph.

·
Registered
166 Posts
On my VTX I use collar type bluetooth earbuds when I wear my half helmet that cost me $40. The sound is great and I can skip songs, adjust volume, pause etc even with winter gloves on. The sound is great and they are my preference over anything I’ve tried.
With my modular helmet I have a really inexpensive bluetooth set that stay in the helmet. It cost my about $30 on amazon and really works good but so base at all. I’d use the collar type that I use with the half helmet but the buds hurt my ears with the modular helmet on.
Either on has worked without any flaws for me. Battery life on both is great and bluetooth is great because I don’t have pesky wires to deal with.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have Cardo packtalk bold JBL it works great for tunes, phone, and rider to rider

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Cardo packtalk bold JBL it works great for tunes, phone, and rider to rider
I have the same unit. A touch pricey if music is all you care about. However, it starts to make more sense if you like GPS directions piped into your helmet. Mesh connection to other riders/passengers. Plus you can make phone calls and send text messages. All voice operated.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Is there a way to control a Cardo or Sena from the headset itself? Unlocking the phone to shuffle songs is not a safe thing to do on 2, 3, or 4 wheels at 60 mph.
With certain Cardo or Sena units you can summon Siri, which can then select playlists, shuffle, etc. You can also skip forward or back with the buttons on the unit.
Also, with certain Cardo and most Sena units you can connect 3.5mm earbuds if you want hearing protection. On the Goldwing I use the speakers around town, noise suppressing earbuds on the highway or long distances.

I don't know about Cardo, but with Sena 20s and later you can charge them while they are in use, for really long rides I'll plug them in with a long, coiled micro-USB cord and charge until the next fuel stop.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I don't know about Cardo, but with Sena 20s and later you can charge them while they are in use, for really long rides I'll plug them in with a long, coiled micro-USB cord and charge until the next fuel stop.
Cardo Packtalk Bold can charge while in use. Just turn it back on when plugged in.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
A fellow member recommended the Cardo Packtalk Bold/JBL. I have been riding with it for a month and have to say it was a great purchase. Nice bass tones and many features.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yup, I also use a sena 10, ear buds and and iPhone. I download music from iTunes-must easily have 100 or more tunes. Note: if you do choose Sena and (wired) ear buds you will need to change out the stock sena base unit for the one having the 3.5 adapter. Your ear buds will of course plug into that new base. Sound quality is superb with no wind noise. Best of luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input. Went with the Cardo Freecom 1+. I will upgrade to the JBL speakers if the stock ones aren't good enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ya I got the Splug canal buds and they put out a sound that is incredible and you can still hear whats going on around you...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the new Sena 50 series ?

Supposedly the speakers are a big improvement ove previous generation (I have a 20S and while its plenty loud enough, it has almost no bass response)... and it can do Siri or Hey Google without needing to push any buttons at all, completely hands free, which I think is huge.

With a trade in of a 20S it would cost me just over $200 to upgrade... but there arent very many user generated reviews yet, Ive watcheed a few and they all seem to like the upgrades though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts