GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I have read some of the 'Darkside' threads and I'm definately interested in the possibilities of change. I ride my bike daily to work and in all types of traffic and weather conditions. I'm at a point that my tires need to be replaced, and this will be the first time that I have replaced them. I purchased my '03 bike back in October of last year, so I don't have any experience with bike tires.
...When my wife and I ride together our combined weights, well....let's just say the bike is outside its 'recommended normal operating range', and sometimes the rear end feels kinds 'squirrely'even with the recommended tire pressures. :oops:
...Currently I'm running Dunflops and I would like to go with something that will give me better mileage than 'normal' bike tires.

...The following are a few 'Like to Haves'.
  1. Performs well in the rain and on wet roads.
  2. Handles the extra weight of additional passengers and gear.
  3. Handles well at slow and high speed (bumper to bumper traffic, and expressway driving).
  4. Good traction in all road conditions (gravel, sand).
  5. Good mileage expectation.
...I do have a couple of questions also. :shrug:

1. What would be a good tire that would provide the most of the 'Like to Haves'?
  2. Do CT's handle differently than 'normal' bike tires in 'S' turns (e.c. The Dragon)?
  3. Does anyone mount them for you or do you have to do it yourself?
Thanks, :bow:

Jim

·
Registered
796 Posts
Jim,

most of your questions are answered in the dozens of threads on this site, but I think a CT would meet all of your needs and win you over quickly. A CT will meet all your wishes and more.

Handling? Yes, it's different, but within a 100 miles you won't even think about it anymore.

Mounting? Yes, you should have a shop mount it. That will take some searching, but shops that will do this are easy to find....you will just need to make some friends.

Personally, I think you would be very happy with a CT. Read a few of the threads here and you will find answers to all your questions.

Mike

·
Registered
746 Posts
Okay, just remember two things, 1) You asked and 2) It is my opinion.
I have been using car tires on my bikes for several years (1997 Valkyrie Tourer, & 2005 GL1800 )
My choice is the Kumho 195/55x16 ECSTA RUN FLAT.
It handles the Twisties almost like a MT, it is smoother and quieter than a MT.
It is very stable on the road and does not 'Track" grooves and gouges in the road, and is excellent on wet roads.
I run mine at 31 psi solo, and 35 psi for two-up long trips.
Many just run 32 psi all the time.

I have been using CTs for a long time and recommend the Kumho highly.
I hope this is of some help to you.
Good Luck

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Your not riding enough if you havn't put tires on since last oct. How far from work you live?:shrug:
I can get a season out of a rear RF but the fronts are a different story:22yikes:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Kuhmo Ecsta 195/55-16 @32psi:yes1:. Now thats the ticket!!!!! Semper-fi Mike

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Kumho on the rear and the Stone on the front.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your not riding enough if you havn't put tires on since last oct. How far from work you live?:shrug:
I can get a season out of a rear RF but the fronts are a different story:22yikes:
...I travel a total of about 50 miles per day to and from work. I have put about 10,000 miles total on the bike since I bought it in October.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I went to my local Honda dealer and asked the service dept.Will you install a car tire on a motorcycle rim and he said yes but we ask that you sign a waiver. I told him I would be happy to.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was interested for the same reasons you stated. The switch to a CT solved my problems and I have mounted my 2nd. I had the last one done at a private MC repair shop and just took in the tire and wheel. He said he might not have done it otherwise. The first was mounted the old fashioned way at a local auto repair shop run by a friend.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Go for the Kumho ... you will not regret it.....
and when you do get it don't forget to

get your # an Decal....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts