GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys that works for me has been chomping at the bit to try a long ride, so in the spirit of "okay kid, let's see what ya got" I took him on a ride yesterday.

He's a no-gear kind of guy and while I don't normally ride with folks like that I've known him for two years and was comfortable that he wouldn't do anything intentionally stupid. But I do think he learned his lesson yesterday.

We rode Phx, Tucson, Wilcox, Safford, Globe, Show Low, Holbrook, I-40 to 93S, Wickenburg, Quartzsite and then back home on I-10. I rode past home to Casa Grande and then back just to make sure I had enough legit miles. I finished the day with 1109 miles.

West of Flagstaff he catches a bee in his mouth and it stings him on the inside of his lower lip. Much pain.

S of I-40 on 93 before Wikiup we catch a lot of hard rain and wind, most of which he takes square in the face. Much pain.

He has a stock bike with a stock seat and no windshield. Very much hard core. In fact, hard core would be an understatement. This is what he did the Saddle Sore on...

Put this kid on a Wing, a HD bagger, an FJR or the like and he's going to be a serious LD riding contender. Now, it's just a matter of seeing whether or not this was just a one time thing or if he's got the disease.

While filling up in Seligman we came across a guy on a new 1600 GTL. He asked where we were heading and I told him we were just doing a mini Four Corners of AZ tour for the day. He replied that he was on his way home to Palm Desert at the end of an 8.5 day, 7000 mile, Four Corners of the USA tour. Talk about being upstaged!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Congrats to your buddy. Heck of a first LD ride. All I did this weekend was redo the Powder room.... Riding would have been more enjoyable fer sure.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
That guy deserves a medal for that performance. He must be young.

I've been wanting to do a 4 corners of AZ ride, as much as is possible on paved roads, but never got around to it. Not looking to do 1000 mile days, just want to see the state that way. Could probably do more of it on a dual sport.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Depending on your definition of corner, it would be easy to do in two days on a wing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I know it could be done quickly but I'm more interested in a sight seeing trip. A few years ago I mapped out the paved roads closest to each border but never rode the route.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That guy deserves a medal for that performance. He must be young.
He just recently turned 30.

I've been wanting to do a 4 corners of AZ ride, as much as is possible on paved roads, but never got around to it. Could probably do more of it on a dual sport.
Not probably... definitely. But on the southern border that would raise your chances of winding up in some bandito's crosshairs. "Badges? We doan need no stinkin' badges."

I know it could be done quickly but I'm more interested in a sight seeing trip. A few years ago I mapped out the paved roads closest to each border but never rode the route.
Do you want to stay entirely within the state? The reason I ask is that it is easier to hit some of the furthest corners by venturing into other states first.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yeah, I know some of it would be in the other states, not a problem. And you're right about the southern border, could get interesting off roading too close to the border.

It's not a big deal with me, just something I thought might be a fun few days someday,

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Yeah the last time I did an Arizona 4 corners ride it was about 3 days. I like to see the things I ride past.:lol: I'll never get the disease, ld riding for me is just done as a sometime necessity. However, more power to those who enjoy it.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
So, I've been to San Luis, AZ (SW), have yet to take I15 north out of Vegas past the Valley of Fire entrance (NW), have been to Four Corners monument (NE), and the SW corner looks like unpaved roads to get east of Douglas.

Looks like that would be a fun ride.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Ah, youth. ;)

Oh to be 30 again. Oh, wait, we were talking about riding, weren't we?:oops:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, youth. ;)

Oh to be 30 again. Oh, wait, we were talking about riding, weren't we?:oops:
Yeah, but he's still hurting. I got an email from him this evening that says his throttle hand hurts so much he could barely grip his steering wheel today, and the Sporty's pegs were vibrating so bad his feet feel like they are itching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts