GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another forum member and I will be in riding in to Gordonsville area this Saturday and staying till Wednesday . So wondering what good riding roads are in the area? Attractions to see?
If someone wants to do a rte we are game.

·
Registered
39 Posts
33 west to Seneca Rocks, WV is pretty nice...you can hit Seneca Rocks and keep going to 48 toward old rt 55, which will bring you back into Virginia near Strasburg. Then you could take 81 south, or a more scenic route by taking 55 into Front Royal and then south on RT 340 back to 33. . Then east back to Gordonsville. Lots of fun roads in the area. Too many to list. . .I live in Virginia, but close to DC. .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Seneca rocks pic below. Blackwater Falls is about 40 minutes away from Seneca Rocks too. .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks hueyf4i. The scenic routes the wife's will like. Twist roads for the day we go with out the wife's.
Skyline drive is nice too, very well maintained asphalt road, but its $20 per motorcycle(7 day pass) Skyline drive is 105 miles long and starts in Front Royal. .

·
Registered
851 Posts
don’t miss the BBQ Exchange restaurant in Gordonsville while you’re there.....B

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here's a link to a few rides in the area. I guess you've figured out that, from Gordonsville, 'all roads to the west are mountainous and curvy......all roads to the south are flat....and roads to the east are congested. A little general....but you get the point!! B.

www.appalachianbackroads.com

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tourit thanks for the link and info. Yes, Newwingrider65 and I like BBQ it is must every trip. I usually go with were I see the most locals at to find good BBQ but a heads up is always best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's a link to a few rides in the area. I guess you've figured out that, from Gordonsville, 'all roads to the west are mountainous and curvy......all roads to the south are flat....and roads to the east are congested. A little general....but you get the point!! B.

www.appalachianbackroads.com
Luckily I only live on the edge of the congested. . . but pretty close to the mountainous and curvy

·
Registered
851 Posts
Blueridge Pkwy south from rockfish gap(near I-64) to Rte.56E then towards Wintergreen and Devils Backbone Brewery and restaurant is a nice ride and eat which circles you back toward Gordonsville. Just another idea.... B.
Kind of surprised no one has offered any additional suggestions or want to play tour guide.... I’d volunteer but am in the middle of hay season and need to take advantage of the weather.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand making hay. Grew up on a farm between my 2 grandparents farms, so in hay season I went from hay field to hay field. from the time I could drive a tractor. Thanks Guys for all the suggestions. If anyone wants to meet up still game.
I do my 24 hour shift tomorrow and when I get off it is shower load up the bike, eat. Then go meet Newwingrider65 shortly after leaving the house then on to Gordonsville.

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
Enjoy your trip and post some pictures if you get a chance so us less fortunate forum members can enjoy from our computers. :wink2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wouldn't mind playing your guide, but work makes my riding time sporadic at best unless I'm able to plan far in advance. . and give my wife advance notice too(we have 6 kids). Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not sure how you're coming down from Ohio, but entering WVa. at Rte.250(Wheeling), Old Rte.50(Parkersburg), Rte.33(Pomeroy) are always entertaining and each are fairly direct routes. Ride Safe. Looks like great weather for the weekend. B.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts