GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen a lot of comments of real good gas mileage, i assume that is highway mileage.... unless i am corrected.... my question is : i am getting 33mpg, but it is all intown mileage... stop and go junk.... is that good, and if not how can it be corrected during the winter with the different types of fuel.... i first ran 87 octane, then switched to 93 and can not tell any difference in mileage....

Mike (blackhawk)

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
33MPG around town sounds acceptable to me. I usually burn regular but have tried higher grades without any consistantly noticeable difference other than cost.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Gas

I get between 36-38 in town.

I had the ECM changed and asked the service manager at the dealership if I should switch to a higher grade gas to get rid of early morning pinging. He stated that we should not use high octain (97) gas as it may harm the catalitic converter. He stated that the Wing is designed to run on regular gas...

Go figure.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Owner's Manual?????

First, lets talk octane.
The owner's manual recommends an octane rating of 86 or above. This is a good source of information, since it comes from the engineers of the engine.

One of the ECM's jobs is to adjust the fuel usage and to optimize it for the octane that it may be. "Motorcycle Consumer News" did an analysis of using various octanes about a year ago (Feb.'03, page 30). The article indicated that most people using a higher grade than recommended, just do damage to their engine, the GL1800 is an exception. The exception is due to the ECM/fuel injected GL1800s having a Engine Management System that is very sophisticated.

Apparently, the EMS does result in getting better power and mileage with high octane. The article's main theme is not to do it, but makes this exception for the GL1800.

What I took away was that every so often it is a good idea to put high test into the 1800 to do a self optimization of the tuning.

You might try it.

I hardly ever ride in traffic or a city, so I have little to add about city mileage. However, a 17% is something to wonder about. If I were you I would check the mileage when riding rather than sitting at a light. You should expect about 40+/-mpg in warm weather.

The winter warm-up of the engine really burns some gas. And, remember to reduce the mileage computed by using odometer miles is probably overstated by 6%.

Hey, what the heck, it you wanted good mileage, you would have bought a moped.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
city mileage

thanks guys, i have been putting 93 in the wing to be sure the injectors were clean. i plan to run 87 when warmer weather hits to keep the engine temp down.... only have 1345 miles since i bought it... just trying to keep it in good shape....

Mike

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: city mileage

BlackHawk said:
thanks guys, i have been putting 93 in the wing to be sure the injectors were clean. ...
Many years ago when fuel injection was new, only premium gas had fuel injector cleaner in it. Today, however, with nearly ubiquitous fuel injection, I am told that all grades of gas (at least of the major brands) include fuel injector cleaner. :s27:

Even so, in the Spring I like to put a little bit of FI cleaner additive in my Wing's tank to make sure all the injectors are clear after sitting a while during the Winter.

Anyway, works for me! :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Higher octanes burn cooler and can, in fact, be a detriment to performance and fuel economy. Engines and their control systems are designed for specific grades of fuel... The GL 1800 is designed for 86-87. You are just throwing money away, losing performance and risking engine damage running high octane in an engine not designed for it. Only higher compression ratio engines require higher octane (because cooler burning is necessary with the higher compression...).

Switching back to 87 for summer is just the opposite of what would help. At higher summer temperatures, moving up to 89 may help to limit detonation (remember it burns cooler?), especially if you ride hard. BTW, 93 won't clean injectors any better than 87. If you are really concerned with that, use Texaco or one of the other brand name fuels with cleaning agents. I ride hard and demand performance. I purchase any brand that happens to be there when I need it, including brand X. Never had a problem. I do admit to using a little bit of STP fuel additive occasionally but usually only during cold weather (I ride all year).

Just for thought... I NEVER fuel from a station that is receiving a delivery at the time. THAT is the fastest way to get a load of stirred up water and sediment.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Bob C said:
Just for thought... I NEVER fuel from a station that is receiving a delivery at the time. THAT is the fastest way to get a load of stirred up water and sediment.
Good Point! :s27:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts