GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get an incoming phone call (Car Play plugged in), I press the voice input button on the left handle bar to answer. The incoming and outgoing audio for the call is very good, however when I try to use Siri to make a call, "She" totally misunderstands me every time. In fact, I have not been successful in getting Siri to understand anything I've ever said during any command. I'm using J&M BT04 headset, which I'm happy with and works well. In phone settings, Mic level is set to 7. Phone is not paired to the bike. J&M BT04 headset is paired to the bike. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't think it is Siri but the mike connected to the Bluetooth device. Siri works fine for me when just talking into the phone. But when using my helmet some of my commands are misunderstood, especially with a lot of wind and traffic noise.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
482 Posts
Siri has yet to understand more than two words at a time that I have spoken to her... and that is without a motorcycle and wind noise in the equation, so.. I done give up talking to her... I poke and grunt and the phone does what I want it to...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
its def the environment. it seems when i try to slow down and enunciate more clearly, the more trouble the dimwit has. when i speak in a more normal speed and tone she does better.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've been lucky I suppose. I keep it simple with two word commands like "call so-n-so". So far, she's been reliable for those voice commands. I'm not too demanding though as environment has a lot of influence.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've read that J&M recommends setting the Mic level on the bike to -7.
To be sure, send an email to J&M and ask them. They're real good about customer service.
They've always gotten back to me in a day or two.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I have to be at a total stand still B4 she understands me.

Ronnie

·
Registered
930 Posts
When I use Apple Maps or Google Maps, Siri doesn't seem to under stand what city and state I want to go to.
It gets frustrating, and I just turn it off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Siri has yet to understand more than two words at a time that I have spoken to her... and that is without a motorcycle and wind noise in the equation, so.. I done give up talking to her... I poke and grunt and the phone does what I want it to...
For the most part, I find SIRI useless.....directs one to the “web” most of the time...at times when one can’t read “the web” I might add.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
No problems with Seri after returning my SRL for my NeoTecII. Seems Sena SRL had the boom mike with the microphone facing away from my mouth, which obviously caused many issues with Seri understanding me. I tried spinning the microphone toward my mouth but it would twist back around away from my mouth due to the coiled design on the boom. I got in touch with Sena and explained the manufacturing defect, they, in turn, sent me a new SRL under warranty. No issues what so ever with communication with Seri and the Shoei Neotec II. I can communicate with Seri face shield up or down at speed. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
When I get an incoming phone call (Car Play plugged in), I press the voice input button on the left handle bar to answer. The incoming and outgoing audio for the call is very good, however when I try to use Siri to make a call, "She" totally misunderstands me every time. In fact, I have not been successful in getting Siri to understand anything I've ever said during any command. I'm using J&M BT04 headset, which I'm happy with and works well. In phone settings, Mic level is set to 7. Phone is not paired to the bike. J&M BT04 headset is paired to the bike. Any suggestions?
When you are sitting still (at home?) out of the wind does Siri understand you/work?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've not has a single issue with Siri understanding my voice command(s), whether using CarPlay to navigate, answering/dictating a text message, or answering/placing a phone call. Using a Neotec II with SENA SRL.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure I've read that J&M recommends setting the Mic level on the bike to -7.
To be sure, send an email to J&M and ask them. They're real good about customer service.
They've always gotten back to me in a day or two.
I have read their instructions and I do have the mike set at 7. The mike works great for all other functions. Others hear me just fine when I'm on the phone at 60 mph, but when I ask Siri something, she either doesn't hear it at all or completely misses what I say. The other day when I asked Siri to call "John Doe", she says she can't understand what I asked. After the third try, she said 'OK, Calling "Billy Roberts". (made up names, but you get the point). I can be setting still with engine off and she still can't understand my commands. It's really frustrating.

·
Registered
713 Posts
When I posted -7on the mic level, I was indicating MINUS 7. It's adjustable from plus 7 to minus 7.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I posted -7on the mic level, I was indicating MINUS 7. It's adjustable from plus 7 to minus 7.
MINUS 7 ??, Well OK, I'll try MINUS 7, however, J&M, if I remember correctly, recommends PLUS 7. I'll try MINUS 7 it next time I ride and see what happens.

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
If you can hear others clearly, and others can hear you clearly, then I'd expect that the issue isn't likely the mic settings.

If you're phone-in-hand and not using a headset, does siri understand you then?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Siri is just like any other female, whatever you say they don't understand and you're wrong. We should be used to it by now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you can hear others clearly, and others can hear you clearly, then I'd expect that the issue isn't likely the mic settings.

If you're phone-in-hand and not using a headset, does siri understand you then?

No problem with the phone in hand using Siri. Just on the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts