GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for OEM brake pads. Brought up the OEM schematic, added each of the 3 pads to cart. I then somehow ended up on the Home page of DLP where they have all 3 pad sets bundled together...for about $20 more than if you picked them out separate, or did I do something wrong?

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Try it again. I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox and I'm able to place my order with the Coupon Code on the parts site and it looks like it will go through.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going through is not the problem. If I buy a bundle it is $143, If I buy them separate they are $122. I don't know why there are two different prices? I started to order but they hit me with taxes and the Free Shipping fee which really gets my...

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Dan has been in and out of the hospital for the past few months, so being able to get a handle on things and straighten some things out has been been on the back burner while he is recuperating. Hopefully, when he gets back to full speed, he can address many of these issues.

Time will tell...

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
HDL has gone so far down hill, they are at the bottom of my list of where to buy stuff for the bike.

It's the last place I check now.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I try to price check when I purchase and I find that Dennis Kirk has beat both HDL and WingStuff and I have been very satisfied with there service...

·
Registered
924 Posts
This may be a dumb question...but whatever happened to Hal? I didn't get on here much for about a year or two and when I came back, it would appear that he's no longer running things and some guy named Dan is in charge down there.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
This may be a dumb question...but whatever happened to Hal? I didn't get on here much for about a year or two and when I came back, it would appear that he's no longer running things and some guy named Dan is in charge down there.
As far as I know, Hal's health forced him to retire. Not sure if he sold the business, or just has Dan running it. Dan is a great guy, but he has been in and out of the hospital over the past few months and his son, Dan Jr. has stepped in to try and run things. He sort of admitted to me that he is in way over his head. As a DLP supplier I have seen challenges from the other side of the business.

·
Registered
924 Posts
As far as I know, Hal's health forced him to retire. Not sure if he sold the business, or just has Dan running it. Dan is a great guy, but he has been in and out of the hospital over the past few months and his son, Dan Jr. has stepped in to try and run things. He sort of admitted to me that he is in way over his head. As a DLP supplier I have seen challenges from the other side of the business.
I talked to Hal probably 5 or 6 years ago and was actually talking to him about coming to work for him. He was explaining to me just how incredibly hard the bike parts business is. The biggest challenge he talked about was working with the vendors who supplied the parts. They would give him a time frame for delivery which he would pass along to his customers and then just keep dragging it out...sometimes for a year or more. Obviously that made it hard to build any kind of good relationship with his customers. Then, he said..another challenge was getting good help who would show up to work every day AND treat his customers right. I remember him lamenting how hard it was to find reliable help that he could count on. Lastly, he also talked about how competitive the business is. He said it was, itself, a full time job just scouring the web trying to keep his prices competitive with everyone else. We laughed about about how there are those customers who will go through about anything to save a quarter on a $200 part. He got it....and tried to do his best, but he was kind of beside himself just trying to keep everyone satisfied at the same time.

I didn't end up going to work for him, but I kind of understood the challenges that a business owner faces. My parents owned a small mail order company in Indiana for a number of years and I can remember being annoyed when customers would call at midnight and want to place an order, but I also remember Mom and Dad taking that order and never letting on that the customer had just awakened us from our sleep. It's how a small business survives. That's why Hal gave out his personal cell # and told people to just call him if they had a problem. Sure...that was REALLY inconvenient for him, but I got that he wanted to do whatever it took to keep his business going.

We customers can make it really hard on them sometimes. I've seen a few screwups out of DLP lately...like a set of tires for $0.00, but hey...let's cut 'em a brake and just let them know they've got a problem. I screw something up on a pretty regular basis so I can't really hold it against someone for just making a human error. It happens.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The only purchase that I've ever made from DLP is the Honda Extended Warranty that I purchase last year. No problems. Very pleased. However, I've heard so many "horror stories" on this forum about them that I'm "gun-shy" about ordering anything else. It's a damn shame because I enjoy this forum and I would like to support it's sponsor.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just purchased EBC brake pads on sale off of Amazon. I have bought a few things from DLP but it seems like it's becoming more of an adventure. I still always check there but with taxes and shipping added I seldom buy there.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Believed they are domiciled in S Florida, so Florida tax is a must for them if you have a Florida delivery.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I just purchased EBC brake pads on sale off of Amazon. I have bought a few things from DLP but it seems like it's becoming more of an adventure. I still always check there but with taxes and shipping added I seldom buy there.
Have you ran the EBC's before? I tried the "Sinitered" one's for the VTX a few years back and was NOT impressed. They didn't have as much grip as the OEM pads and lasted about half as long. I gave up on the aftermarket pads and went back to the OEM's every since.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Have you ran the EBC's before? I tried the "Sinitered" one's for the VTX a few years back and was NOT impressed. They didn't have as much grip as the OEM pads and lasted about half as long. I gave up on the aftermarket pads and went back to the OEM's every since.
I've found the same problem with after market pads, now I use only the OEM.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have them on now. We're going cross country in about 3 weeks and I wanted to replace them now. I was going to go OEM but am afraid of the 3 week window. Next ones will be OEM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts