GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in an earlier thread that I was very disappointed in the gas mileage on my 98' GL 1500 trike. I had checked it several times on the freeway at 70 - 75 and only got 28 almost every time. Some mentioned that this was normal driving over 70...others said I should be getting mid to high 30's.

I also mentioned that I could smell gas while the trike was just ideling. Reading everything I could several said that the diaphrams in the fuel cutoff valve were bad about going bad and that could be one reason.

I talked to a mechanic near my house and told him that my trike was running great...not missing...ideled at 800 rpm without missing a lick...had plenty of power but I could smell a bit of gas and my mileage sucked. He said your fuel cutoff valve probably needs rebuilding. He ordered the part and I took it in to him yesterday moring and got it back that afternoon.

I filled up before I left this morning and took it for a ride early before traffic got too bad and before the rain set in. I drove the normal 70 - 75 and filled up again when I returned. This time I got 32 1/2 mpg...that is much better....next trip I'm going to keep the speed below 70 and see what it will do although I don't see me driving below 70 here in the Houston traffic.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
This time I got 32 1/2 mpg...that is much better....next trip I'm going to keep the speed below 70 and see what it will do although I don't see me driving below 70 here in the Houston traffic.
You got that right, Dallas is no better, neither is Detroit, nor Chattanooga TN. Glad your mileage came back up. What tire pressures do you run? Does your Trike roll around freely in neutral by hand? Motor Trike uses drums in the rear and can be adjusted up too much causing drag.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got that right, Dallas is no better, neither is Detroit, nor Chattanooga TN. Glad your mileage came back up. What tire pressures do you run? Does your Trike roll around freely in neutral by hand? Motor Trike uses drums in the rear and can be adjusted up to much causing drag.
Running 22lb in rear tires and 40 in front....trike moves very free in neutral..sometimes I back it out of the garage just be pushing it with no problem.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Running 22lb in rear tires and 40 in front....trike moves very free in neutral..sometimes I back it out of the garage just be pushing it with no problem.
Please bump your rears up to 26 -27.......... See if you truly feel a harsher ride? Re-adjust your air shock setting to soften ride if necessary to compensate, what is your air system at? Tires that are too soft, dirty air filter, too much shifting and cheap gas are the main culprits in bad mileage. Just like a four wheeler. Try mid-grade fuel (89 octane) see if that makes any difference. As you mentioned speed (ie.62-65) will also give you better economy...............................:roll: but with Houston speed demons on your tail keep one hand free so you can say (HI) with it on ocassion.;)

Also a Trike just weighs more and with more tire surface and wind resistance a drop in mileage is the nature of the beast..

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please bump your rears up to 26 -27.......... See if you truly feel a harsher ride? Re-adjust your air shock setting to soften ride if necessary to compensate, what is your air system at? Tires that are too soft, dirty air filter, too much shifting and cheap gas are the main culprits in bad mileage. Just like a four wheeler. Try mid-grade fuel (89 octane) see if that makes any difference. As you mentioned speed (ie.62-65) will also give you better economy...............................:roll: but with Houston speed demons on your tail keep one hand free so you can say (HI) with it on ocassion.;)

Also a Trike just weighs more and with more tire surface and wind resistance a drop in mileage is the nature of the beast..
Thanks for the reply. I will add some air to my rear tires and try that. I have my air shocks set at 17lb with just me riding...I"m pretty small so it sure helped with the ride to get it that low but I don't think I would ever run it lower. I run regular octane from either Shell, Chevron or Texaco mostly Shell. Haven't checked the air filter....saw the video of how to get to the filter and afraid to tackle that job myself at least until the new wears off...and will have to wait a bit before I can pay to have it checked. The bike has less than 19,000 miles so hopefully it's not real dirty.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Check out www.fueleconomy.gov. it shows that with a properly tuned engine, clean air filter, proper tire pressure and correct viscosity motor oil you can gain up to a 19% increase in mileage. Now I realize this relates to four wheelers but the same principles apply to Trikes. Even if you gain just 3 mpg it can be a fair savings over the course of a 10,000 mile ride season.

Nice lookin' Trike BTW.:thumbup: Workin' on one the same color in Michigan as we speak.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store and buy a can of Seafoam and put it in your tank. This should clean out the carbs or injectors and help out.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to your local auto parts store and buy a can of Seafoam and put it in your tank. This should clean out the carbs or injectors and help out.
I'm running on the second tank of gas with Seafoam in it now. I'm a believer also in it. I ran it in my other bike several times.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seafoam is a good product. But is not intended to be used in every tank of gas. It leaves behind a lubricant for the top end of the motor which is good but it also fouls out your plugs if used in excess. One ounce per gallon once a year is enough.
PS Lonestar, you know better than to use clam chowder - it fouls out the injectors, you need to use Campbells soup only and preferably tomato!!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
you could push it a mile and ride two miles, push it a mile and ride two miles, etc,etc or hook up a sail....:joke:

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Seafoam is a good product. But is not intended to be used in every tank of gas. It leaves behind a lubricant for the top end of the motor which is good but it also fouls out your plugs if used in excess. One ounce per gallon once a year is enough.
PS Lonestar, you know better than to use clam chowder - it fouls out the injectors, you need to use Campbells soup only and preferably tomato!!
Ok that does it! :evil: Me and you Stumpy, in the kitchen ..... now! :chef3: And bring BARNEY with ya':22yikes: That way if you start any BULL he'll recognize it and KICK you out of the contest :p

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
For anyone interesred in Seafoam FYI
Used it in both of my bikes and when I was getting my 1200 running I was putting a whole can in the tank with no plug fouling issues. Best tune up in a can Ive found for the money.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
That is fantastic! Can't wait until they make that stuff for men over 40 :superman1::thumbup:
When they do, I sure hope they have a super-sized, value-packed version for those of us who made it into the over sixty crowd. :superman1::superman1::thumbup: :excited:

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
When they do, I sure hope they have a super-sized, value-packed version for those of us who made it into the over sixty crowd. :superman1::superman1::thumbup: :excited:
It will give a whole new meaning to slammin' a six pack, won't it? ;)

I told my sweetheart about it and she said, "Woo Hoo! Maybe you'll stay up past 9:00 p.m. for a change?" I think she likes the idea :thumbup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
My fuel mileage was getting worse in this cold weather so I added Sea Foam and it helped some but not enough. I only have 16,500 miles on my trike but I think too much garage time before I got it had an affect on it. Today I changed my plugs to NGK Iridium and took it for a test drive, it ran so much better I thought I was going to have to drive with the brake half on! Nice story anyway. It was 28 degrees and the wind was blowing hard so I didn't go too far to test the mileage. That report will just have to wait.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts