GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post. I sold my Valkyrie about a year ago with 57k miles and I though I was finished with motorcycles forever. I bought a Corvette and drive it a lot with the top off to get a simulation of the motorcycle feeling.

Although I've never had a bike wreck in over 35 years of riding I began to feel uneasy riding in urban/suburban traffic. The airbag really appeals to me because it looks like it would really help during the typical motorcycle T-bone accident.

I've found a local dealer who has given me a price of $20,670 for a new airbag Goldwing. Is that a "jump on it" price?

I've never riden an 1800 Goldwing (dealer has offered a test drive and I intend to take him up on it) but one of the things that turned me off about the Valkyrie was how awkward and ponderous it felt, especially at slow speeds. How is the Goldwing compared to the Valkyrie?

Last question. It's possible that the Goldwing will lose out to the Corvette for my riding/driving time. If that happened I'd need to sell the Goldwing because I couldn't afford to keep something that expensive if I didn't use it. What is a good estimate of the depreciation loss I could expect selling a 1 year old bike? I took a bath on the Valkyrie.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
If I had the choice when I bought my '03 Wing, I would have gotten the air-bag..............just like I chose the ABS option.

I think it is a good choice. You just never know when 'that day' comes around, and I would rather have some extra cushion.....no pun intended!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome to the board!

After reading your post, I'll take a slightly different direction.

Sounds like you're not quite ready to take this plunge. Accept the dealer's offer for the test ride and then think about it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
I'd say that would be a good price, given the retail prices listed and what I paid for my 2006 with ABS. I'd get it.

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
get the airbag/abs model/it may save your life

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Dale_K said:
My first post. I sold my Valkyrie about a year ago with 57k miles and I though I was finished with motorcycles forever. I bought a Corvette and drive it a lot with the top off to get a simulation of the motorcycle feeling.

Although I've never had a bike wreck in over 35 years of riding I began to feel uneasy riding in urban/suburban traffic. The airbag really appeals to me because it looks like it would really help during the typical motorcycle T-bone accident.

I've found a local dealer who has given me a price of $20,670 for a new airbag Goldwing. Is that a "jump on it" price?

I've never riden an 1800 Goldwing (dealer has offered a test drive and I intend to take him up on it) but one of the things that turned me off about the Valkyrie was how awkward and ponderous it felt, especially at slow speeds. How is the Goldwing compared to the Valkyrie?

Last question. It's possible that the Goldwing will lose out to the Corvette for my riding/driving time. If that happened I'd need to sell the Goldwing because I couldn't afford to keep something that expensive if I didn't use it. What is a good estimate of the depreciation loss I could expect selling a 1 year old bike? I took a bath on the Valkyrie.
Would you buy a car without an airbag?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
R & D from the big H...........

I would have to imagine that there were those who panned the idea of an airbag in automobiles at the outset also? It won't take but a few head on crashes and the mounting evidence will show how effective an airbag is in frontal collisions. I look at all the junk in front of me on my bike and realize that I will eat all of it in a front end hit and the idea of sticking an airbag in there sounds great.

The millions of dollars that Honda spent doing the research and crunching all the numbers make me think that the bag is a good piece of future think for motorcycles? In the late 70's I had a friend in Indiana who was riding his Wing with his girl friend on the back seat. A car pulled in front of them and they hit it head on. His body was torn almost completely in half and his girlfriend lost her right leg from the knee down. His body was the airbag that allowed his girlfriend to survive this crash. I thought of him the first instant that I saw the information of Honda's airbag bikes. If I stay with GoldWings and decide to do an update I will definitely have the airbag bike in my garage! My guess is that as the data comes in over the next few years and the airbags start saving lives other manufacturors may have to take a look at it for their machines?

To compare the Wing to the Vette is two different things. The Vette is wind and speed and a set a golf clubs. LOL The Wing is all the above with the addition of the sensory inputs of motorcycling. The Vette doesn't require much from the operator to go down the road where any motorcycle demands balance and timing and precise applications of all the controls to be operated sucessfully. In a cage you move through the environment and on a bike you are part of the environment. You will notice the chipmunk on the log as you pass and the farmer in the field on the tractor will wave as you pass. In the car they won't even see you. Stops for fuel will bring a conversation with someone interested in your bike. Attention must be paid to what you have with you for clothing and equipment since you can't stop and just pop the T panels back in. If you can afford to have the bike and the Vette it's a no brainer as to having both available. On the other hand there are a lot of less expensive bikes out there for the occasional ride around the local area that would still be a hoot and not cost much. A late 90's BMW RT 1100 will have ABS brakes and they can be found with a factory stereo and give a nice handling ride and not cost much to own. Valves are right out there where ya can adjust them every 6 or 8 thousand miles and the rest of that bike is a breeze.

Have fun looking and hope you decide on a FUN one. :lol:

Denny

·
Registered
816 Posts
Look at this film

http://www.adac.de/images/Crash_Goldwin ... 160126.wmv

This film shows the difference between an airbag in a frontal crash and non-airbag in a frontal crash.

I imagine that there won't be a huge rush for airbag equiped GL1800s. I will purchase ABS with my next GoldWing and may also go with the airbag as well.

With the number of crashes involving members of this board, many of whom are cautious and experienced riders, it has to be a consideration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I saw the video. The airbag model is the only one I'm considering.

Nobody has spoken about the handling question. What's it like compared to the Valkyrie?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Dale_K said:
Thanks for the replies. I saw the video. The airbag model is the only one I'm considering.

Nobody has spoken about the handling question. What's it like compared to the Valkyrie?
If you test ride a 1800 through some twisties ( mild or wild) you will buy the 1800

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
Would you buy a car without an airbag?
Yes.

But in a car that is not fair, if you use the seat belts properly the airbag is of little extra value. Side impact you may have a case though.

I remember a day when we all drove rolling playpens. My 80s smoke belichin' buick wagon had 8 seat belts, we were lucky to get 10% seat belt compliance and we are all alive today.

I am proud of my 5000lb '83 Jaguar. Got rear ended by a BMW 6 years ago, totalled his car, could not find a scratch on mine. An airbag is a waste of time when you drive a tank.

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
I wouldnt touch ANY bike that has an airbag.
A plastic bike with an airbag just may save your life.... I with you... don't get one!!!

your pal in Ashland!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :a13:

·
Registered
964 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
I wouldnt touch ANY bike that has an airbag.
BLK04WNG,

OK, I have to ask. What's the problem with airbags on motorcycles?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
can somebody tell me why you wouldn't get one with an airbag?

I don't get it?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
It's funny the opinions of this board a year later after it was introduced. I remember a year ago when it was introduced pretty much everyone was bashing honda for it, and saying "it's gonna throw you off" what good will it do, it's only good in frontal collisions, ect. ect. ect. I was a huge fan when it first came out but we were few and far between. I'm glad to see that the numbers are reversed now and the opponents of it are now few and far between. I betcha in 10 years all goldwings will have airbags. Just like in a year all goldwings will have ABS. Takes some time for acceptance but HONDA's goal is to offer the safest bikes out there. (lets not talk about the frames OK?)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I am surprised to see some of you do not want an airbag
I would without a doubt get one with an airbag.

Maybe you should watch the video again..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dale,

Price sounds pretty good. I would definitley opt for the airbag. In a frontal collision I would much rather collide with an airbag than the windshield or the other vehicle. It looks like it will probably keep you from being ejected through or over the windshield. No brainer as far as I am concerned.

JJ

1 - 20 of 34 Posts