GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering triking my 2005 Gold Wing and I'm getting conflicting info from conversion people. They are telling me to be careful with an independent suspension bike because it tends to come up on two wheels in a turn. Is this true?
The only trikes I have ridden are Motor Trike, Champion, and Lehman. All seem to turn well but ride a little rough. Will an Independent suspension ride that much better(without coming up on two wheels) to justify the increased cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
I have an 06 CSC and ride very aggressive. Never had a problem with coming up on two wheels unless I wanted it to and usually only come up enough to squeal the tires a little. Gets some strange reactions from folks when they heare a trike burn rubber. But seriously you won't have a problem with the the two wheel issue with independant suspension just a smoother ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I have a 06 Trikeshop Kit Ind. Suspension, never put it on two wheels, I ride it pretty hard in the curves. Great Ride.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
FGH said:
I am considering triking my 2005 Gold Wing and I'm getting conflicting info from conversion people. They are telling me to be careful with an independent suspension bike because it tends to come up on two wheels in a turn. Is this true?
The only trikes I have ridden are Motor Trike, Champion, and Lehman. All seem to turn well but ride a little rough. Will an Independent suspension ride that much better(without coming up on two wheels) to justify the increased cost?
First - Don't believe everything the trike manufacturers or converters say. Most of it is advertising hype. Every manufacturer says theirs the best and every converter has his favorite for one reason or another.

Second - Asking us about Solid Axle vs IRS is like opening up the proverbial "can of worms." Most, if not all, of us think the conversion "we" picked is the "best." Trike choice is mostly subjective, since most folks don't really get the chance to wring out the different kits on the most demanding road conditions. Some folks just buy what looks nice to them.

That being said, and considering what you have been told, let me pose a question to you. How many race cars that have to negotiate left and right hand turns have solid axles and how many have IRS?

Fact: You can lift the inside wheel on any trike if you push it hard enough.

My experience: You can lift the inside on a solid axle trike much sooner than on an IRS trike. And on the solid axle it is much more scary when it happens.

My opinion: And this is based on riding both solid and Independent, The IRS trike is more comfortable and better handling.

You have only ridden solid axle trikes. You owe it to yourself to ride an IRS trike. You may find that you like the solid axle better. After all, 47% of the poll respondents ride solid axle trikes and love them. Then again, you may find you like IRS. Take your time, and most importantly ride all the trikes you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
What beastie said is 100% correct. If you want that race car suspension then the kit for you is the CSC COBRA. Let me add that most trike decisions are based not on the kit or its technology; but on the little things like trunk space, and looks. A bigger issue is what trikes are available in your local area (whatever that means) and the reputation of the installer. It has been said here before that a trike put together badly makes for a bad trike experience. Not that any survey on these boards are scientific, but one recently done showed the CSC and Champion to be the two most popular trikes among the respondents. One is a solid axle and one an IRS.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
FGH you have a PM

FGH...You have a PM
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
beastie said:
That being said, and considering what you have been told, let me pose a question to you. How many race cars that have to negotiate left and right hand turns have solid axles and how many have IRS?
Bad example..
A race car has 2 front wheels which by their very presence and the directional forces involved will tend to keep the inside/rear wheel on the ground.

I got hits little tidbit from Lehman :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
EZRIDER - you said: "If you want that race car suspension then the kit for you is the CSC COBRA" Don't really think you'll find any "race car" with opposed rocker suspension that only uses one spring/shock assembly.... Just MHO :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
CHAZ_36,
According to the COBRA people, their IRS was developed from open wheel racing.
Now to respond to whomever made the comment regarding the fact that race cars, and just cars in general, have two front tires. This is one of the major "bones of contention" between the IRS and SA trike manufactuerers. The SA camp says that by the very nature of the trike's triangular wheel arrangement that the true IS concept is negated. The only way the IS works on a trike is to connect the rear wheels by a large sway bar. The IRS camp days the SA trikes are old tech. One thing I noticed in doing my research is that most IRS units increase the wheelbase. IMHO, I don't know wheter this fact is the reason for the "better" ride on these units. All I know is:
1. that both types of suspension systems are owned by hundreds of trikers, and they seem to be very happy with what they chose.
2. Just recently H-D and Victory Motorcycles signed agreements for Lehman (SA) to build trikes for them. There had to be a reason they chose to go with the old technology. I don't believe it was money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
EZRIDERS said:
One thing I noticed in doing my research is that most IRS units increase the wheelbase.
DFT does not.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
EZRIDERS said:
1. that both types of suspension systems are owned by hundreds of trikers, and they seem to be very happy with what they chose.
I think that's what I said in my last paragraph. I am not trying to sell anyone on IRS or a CSC for that matter. All I am saying is ride them both and YOU decide what YOU like. And of course - what Mama likes.

EZRIDERS said:
2. Just recently H-D and Victory Motorcycles signed agreements for Lehman (SA) to build trikes for them. There had to be a reason they chose to go with the old technology. I don't believe it was money.
I think the answer to that is simple. Harley and Victory are "old technology" themselves. It certainly isn't money since Lehman is one of the most expensive.

Have any of you seen an RC Trike (Canada)? That is one sharp SA conversion. It is one I would have seriously considered except they have zero representation in the U.S. It has a very good looking body and an enormous 8.2 cu.ft. trunk. It has no rider footpegs. the shifter is part of the floorboard. I used to have some pictures but I lost them.
Here is a picture from their website
http://www.rctrike.com/models/models.html

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
EZRIDERS said:
I said most; not all. DFT is the only "stock" wheelbase IRS trike of the bunch
Correct.
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
EZRIDERS said:
One thing I noticed in doing my research is that most IRS units increase the wheelbase.
I thought that was dont to lessen the angle of the CV joints?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Trikes

CJmitch....."Stock" as in same as a bike....trike wheels remain in the same position as the original rear wheel.
:)
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Trikes

chaz_36 said:
CJmitch....."Stock" as in same as a bike....trike wheels remain in the same position as the original rear wheel.
:)
I didnt think ANY of the trikes was "stock" wheelbase.
WOW that must put a LOTTTTT of stress on the U-joints. being so short and all!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Re: Trikes

cjmitch said:
chaz_36 said:
CJmitch....."Stock" as in same as a bike....trike wheels remain in the same position as the original rear wheel.
:)
I didnt think ANY of the trikes was "stock" wheelbase.
WOW that must put a LOTTTTT of stress on the U-joints. being so short and all!!!!
How do you figure that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
IRS

CJMitch....Lot of stress? Certainly not...stock swingarm, stock Honda driveshaft in the stock position and it no longer has vertical movement... :lol: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Re: IRS

chaz_36 said:
CJMitch....Lot of stress? Certainly not...stock swingarm, stock Honda driveshaft in the stock position and it no longer has vertical movement... :lol: .
:yes1:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top