GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
NICE LOOKING BIKE. 30 MORE HP THAN A HARLEY "IS A LOT !! " WATER COOLED IS WAY TO GO IMOP . NOW NEED TO SEE $$$$$:serious:

Reactions: WY88 and CAWing

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Indian has unveiled the all-new liquid-cooled PowerPlus 108, a 1,768cc (108ci) V-twin that makes a claimed 128 lb-ft of torque and 122 horsepower and will be the beating heart of a new fixed-fairing bagger called the Challenger. Check out details about the new engine, and stay tuned for a full ride report on October 29.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Zee thanks for posting the link to a great video. Waiting to see one up close & personal. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I notice that this Powerplus 108 has the spark plugs on top (like most new V-twin engines). I assume that, on this new Indian, you will have to lift the gas tank to change the spark plugs. Seems like a hassle. Even though the Goldwing has 6 spark plugs instead of 2, it seems like a much easier chore.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
During a tour of the Harley PowerTrain assembly plant in Milwaukee last month, we saw a motor sitting in a test booth, with very similar characteristics. No cooling fins yet still a V-Twin. We were not allowed to photograph, but our guide pointed it out with a wink and a nod. I anticipate bunches of new innovations from these long held cultural icons, to entice younger riders. The phrase "innovate or die!" never meant more to the old school moto manufacturers, then it does right now.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I notice that this Powerplus 108 has the spark plugs on top (like most new V-twin engines). I assume that, on this new Indian, you will have to lift the gas tank to change the spark plugs. Seems like a hassle. Even though the Goldwing has 6 spark plugs instead of 2, it seems like a much easier chore.
For me, it's much easier to remove a gas tank on an Indian than adjust the valves on a new Goldwing.
New Goldwing has 24 valves to measure.
If shims are needed to adjust the intake valves, the cam in each bank must be removed, and all exhaust valves (screw and locknut) will need to be readjusted, even though you are only shimming the intakes.
On this new Powerplus engine, only 8 valves in total, and lash is hydraulically adjusted automatically.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
For me, it's much easier to remove a gas tank on an Indian than adjust the valves on a new Goldwing.
New Goldwing has 24 valves to measure.
If shims are needed to adjust the intake valves, the cam in each bank must be removed, and all exhaust valves (screw and locknut) will need to be readjusted, even though you are only shimming the intakes.
On this new Powerplus engine, only 8 valves in total, and lash is hydraulically adjusted automatically.
I change my own spark plugs and I pay someone else to check/adjust valves, so valves aren't an issue for me. Ipso facto... :smile2:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My limited experience with, and a good bit of reputable hearsay about, the Indians is that they have been excellent in every way but somehow manage to throw even more heat than those from the Motor Company. The liquid cooling here might be a real game changer.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
My limited experience with, and a good bit of reputable hearsay about, the Indians is that they have been excellent in every way but somehow manage to throw even more heat than those from the Motor Company. The liquid cooling here might be a real game changer.
I'm a fan of liquid cooling.

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
I change my own spark plugs and I pay someone else to check/adjust valves, so valves aren't an issue for me. Ipso facto... :smile2:

Probably change the air filter on the Indian in a few minutes! How long does it take on your Wing?

You figure out how to work on whatever you own if you like to turn wrenches.

If the tank on the Indian is anything like the a Harley it has a quick disconnect fuel line. I can have a Harley tank off before you can get your false valve covers off!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Probably change the air filter on the Indian in a few minutes! How long does it take on your Wing?

You figure out how to work on whatever you own if you like to turn wrenches.

If the tank on the Indian is anything like the a Harley it has a quick disconnect fuel line. I can have a Harley tank off before you can get your false valve covers off!

100% correct.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If You poke your head into the Victory forums the Victory owners all swear it was the next generation Victory that Polaris switched out the badges on.

I believe it.

Nothing on this new Indian appears retro, classic or heritage in my opinion.

It’s funny how fast a company can form and change their image.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Put that liquid cooled bad boy on the Roadmaster and I may have my dream come true. Love my Goldwing but not a fan of linked brakes or fixed fairing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2005 GL1800 and recently purchased a 2015 Chieftain. I can say there isn't any more heat coming off the Chieftain in traffic than the heat coming off the Goldwing in traffic.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts