GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my battery was dead the other day when I went to go to work. The battery isn't that old and never gave me a problem before. I charged it up and wanted to monitor it short term to see if it was charging while I was riding. I didn't want to spend big bucks on a permanently mounted battery bug, so I ordered this little gem from Amazon and plugged it into the 12v socket in my left pocket. I can see it when I'm riding and can monitor the batter level when it's not being charged.

It was $13.95 with free prime 2 day delivery. Yes. I realize that it may not be optimized for a motorcycle, but it does provide valuable information.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVWDU0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Easily plugs into vehicle's cigarette lighter or power receptacle to monitor battery and charging system voltage
  • Designed for 12-volt negative ground systems
  • LCD displays measured voltage with a bar graph to indicate battery charge level
  • Color-coded LEDs quickly identify battery's charge status
  • Head pivots for easy viewing and angle adjustment

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Matt: I have had these for years and they work perfect. I have one in my car and always have one on my MC. Got mine at Walmart, but I do not think that they still have them? cheap & do the simple job. I even bought a couple to give to freinds that I have had to help with battery & alt problems, so they do not call me in the middle of the night. Great product. Have been looking for a source, Thanks for sharing the link.. :bow:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I bought mine at an RV supply dealer for about 11 bucks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Speaking of volt meters, I can't remember where I purchased this, but I'm not sure why there is a white wire.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
Personally I like a digital or analog readout of voltage. If I used the above unit in my two cages that have GM's regulated voltage control electrical power management system, I would be getting the "Too Low" or "Two High" LED's lighting up as voltage can vary from 12.6 volts to 15.5 volts depending on what mode of operation the charging/electrical system is in. Both cages have digital voltage readouts. :doorag:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Speaking of volt meters, I can't remember where I purchased this, but I'm not sure why there is a white wire.

One wire is power for the meter's electronics, and the other one would be for the voltage reading. Black would be common ground. Most meters that are dedicated for vehicle use will combine the two, but this setup enables you to measure other voltages than just 12 volts. In fact, unless you have instructions, the meter power line might not even be 12 volts. It could be 5v or even 3.3v. From the looks of the bag, this looks more like a generic electronics kit, not a dedicated automotive meter.

You need a colored lens filter for this type of display so that they unlit elements are not visible. It makes the display easier to read.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts