GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the government spending that is about to happen leading us to another whiz-bang round of inflation (remember the Carter years?), and my retirement in the tank, I have decided it is time for a hard asset to weather the coming nasties. So, what is a good classic motorcycle to purchase NOW so I can unload it LATER to retain some purchasing power? I DO intend to ride it. All classics have been rebuilt anyway and short of a total and the costs to bring it back up to snuff it will retain original value. What to put in my garage?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
If restoration is done right it's not something you'll profit from, it's a labor of love..

D

·
0 Posts
Ya, I did a total ground up restoration on a classic Olds back in the early '80s and the guys selling me all the resto parts loved me all the way to the bank. When the car was done about '84 it was worth far less than the time and materials I put into it. Never again...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
"Speed? Said I never had much use for it; never said I didn't know how to use it."

You adapted the statement made by Quigley in 'Quigley down Under' when asked how come he overcame the badguys with a six gun.

:coffee1:
Any good antique motorcycle would be a good investment if it was anywhere near original. Harley's have held their value better than anything else I'm aware of.
Your best bet is GOLD - buy the metal and hold it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:coffee1:
Any good antique motorcycle would be a good investment if it was anywhere near original. Harley's have held their value better than anything else I'm aware of.
Your best bet is GOLD - buy the metal and hold it.
Yeah, but bullion is slow on acceleration although the stops can be breathtaking. No suspension and security is always a problem when you park your Krugerrands at the curb.
Nope, I want a bike. Not something to love forever, but something to ride and then part with when the time is right. I'm thinking pre 1950 Harleys, maybe a pre 1971 Triumph Bonneville, maybe an original BSA Rocket 3 or Trident. Vincents are another level altogether, but you can sell them easily. Definitely a baby boomer lust object. It needs to hold value, and rise with inflation. Relatively scarce but still affordable. Say in the neighborhood of under $30K. Investment, remember?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
NONE:
If you love it rebuild it and enjoy other than that it's a waste of time as an investment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ride without loosing money.

C'mon people, work with me here. We all know that it is possible to buy a bike for less than market price, ride it and then sell it for more than we paid for it. It's every red-blooded Americans secret dream.
If you approach it a bit differently, what is the most desireable bike, one most likely to appreciate, that you could expect to be able to purchase, ride, and then sell for at least what you bought it for?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
A trail 90 :eek:4:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
If you approach it a bit differently, what is the most desireable bike, one most likely to appreciate, that you could expect to be able to purchase, ride, and then sell for at least what you bought it for?

Well, to spend upwards of 30k on an <investment> motorcycle would be lunacy. Paypal me a couple of hundred $$ and I will sell you a list of ten (10) motorcycles all under 3K that would EASILY double in a few years. Why? Because the market for a 6K motorcycle is really, really big vs the itty-bitty market for 60K motorcycles. More buyers mean more appreciation. I will throw you a bone 'cause I'm in a good mood....;)

1985 Honda VFR 1000 Intercepter....

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
C'mon people, work with me here. We all know that it is possible to buy a bike for less than market price, ride it and then sell it for more than we paid for it. It's every red-blooded Americans secret dream.
Ah the pragmatic approch!! ;)
Consider an imported "rare" bike.. Something that's been brought here but really doesn't belong in the US!! Real conversation starters!!

Nortons hold thier value quite well.. They still make the old style Triumphs (Bonny, Scrambler etc.) so the value might not be there.. An old Tiger might be an interesting investment :coffee1:..

Consider also some of the earlier Ducatis and Guzzis (if you have a knowlegable source nearby)! Some can be had at very reasonable prices and are quite valuable if restored properly!! They are also a blast to ride, especially the old cafe style racers!

·
Registered
747 Posts
You might consider the Honda Rune....Originally they cost about 25K. You can get one with very low mileage for about 16K. No one really knows how many were made, but the estimate is between 3-4 thousand. Quality motorcycle and not many made...should do as well as most others. I don't think you will get rich on it, but its a great bike to ride and it is difficult to ride it without people giving a lot of favorable comments.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would second the Norton suggestion, especially a Manx.

Also Ducati's do nothing but appreciate.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I hadn't thought about a motorcycle as an investment.. other than an investment in fun. I'd say stick with an investment in fun factor and leave out any thoughts of profit. If you make some coin in the end thats icing.

Been looking at some investments now as well. Real estate is at the point in CA that on the bottom end properties are going for a few over asking if its the right location, location, location. So were looking for more rental property. Looking for a another cycle would be much more in the fun factor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've done something along those lines... I have two original first generation Confederate Hellcats (1999 models, as new, and untitled - on MSOs) in my modest collection. Only about 350 were manufactured between 1996-2002; the second generation (current) models retail for over $70K. Each of mine has an interesting provenance. However, since they're "museum quality", I would not tag or ride either of them. I've had them for ten years, and I'll probably keep them for another ten... We'll see...

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Late 30's Indian Chief traffic car.
Any pre 1950 Indian motorcycle.
As an investment, I wouldn't be riding it.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
Something can be rare like a Rolls Royce but bring less money than a 69 Mustang with a big engine or a 57 Chevy may bring more money. People have to have feelings for things, rememberances of them to make something valuable. Remember the value of something is what someone else is willing to pay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts