GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few people ask some questions about the bike, so thought I would bore everyone with the details.

It was a 97 Candy Red US spec bike when we started. We traded a good friend at Honda for the German "Pizza Box" trunk. We added kept the spoiler which required us to completely redo the latching assy. None of the bikes with the small trunk had the spoiler installed. The only thing on the trunk that crossed over to the larger US trunk were the 4 holes for mounting and the lights. Other than that, it was pretty much all custom.

We used 1200 antenna mounts with a custom sub-mount and fiberglass antennas. We took a Simpro panel and painted it to match the bike and to help hide the antenna supports. The windshield was a copy of the German as well.

We mounted Kuryakyn pegs directly into the crash bar. When they were folded, you could hardly tell they were there.

We painted the bike a Infiniti Metallic Olive Pearl. BMW Boyz pinstriped the bike with green apple, magenta and orange.

We masked off part of the rotor covers and shot them with the bike. What a pain in the butt that was. We also stripped off the chrome on the windshield garnish and shot it as well.

Air Rider built the custom seat. Could not use the US seat because of the trunk.

Body mods included shaving the gas door lock, all logos, cutting the exhaust tips into the lower spoiler. We also sanded off the texture on the dash and radio area. Used a Harley choke cable as the "handle" for the SE passenger adjustable floorboards.

The logos on the trunk were new old stock that we stripped the white background off of and painted to match. The front and rear of the bike had an ever rarer set of stamped Honda wings that we colormatched as well. I had way too much in the logos - time and money, but well worth it.

I built one more of these bikes for a woman in GA that sold it not too long ago. My bike has a wonderful home in SC. Saw it 2 years ago at Honda Hoot and it looked as good as the day I sold it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Lewis,

What kind of trailer is the bike on?

Ken

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a VM. They are out of Chico, CA. This was the, uh, ahem, Harley model. Supposedly they only built a very limited number of them. All the welds were ground. The ramp slid in under the bike and was almost invisible. The ugly thing on the side was a ramp built for your foot as you brought the bike up. The trailer sold new for about $3000. I bought this one as the 3rd owner for much less.

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
I liked your 1500 Lewis, but I have to ask. Did you ride it as much as you do your 1800? LOL......

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew that was coming....lol. I actually did get to ride that one. The business was smaller, I had no child and more free time. The good ole' days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts