GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke to Garmins OEM division. They are aware of the GPS crashing problem from routes imported into the GPS, and apparently have already found the cause and fixed it and are getting ready to release a new version of the firmware (2.50). Once it is released they will send it to Honda, who will most likely issue new SD cards with the new software on it to customers. They could not give me a date on this, but it sounded like they were close to releasing it to Honda.

Don't waste your time trying to clean the contacts on the SD card, unless you have some sort of magical cleaner that can remove software bugs.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Fred.

Now I wish Garmin would offer the same software I had on my 07, with a lot more detail. Make it downloadable on the internet and charge me $200.

I am still wondering what all is in that large Navigation module in the trunk when aftermarket units do a better job in a very small box.

IMHO they have done a good job dumbing down the Honda Navigation unit and taking away any user control. No longer easy to know to what city you are headed and what route you are on.

What they display is a farce, I'm thinking.

I wouldn't mind breaking up the country into quadrants to allow room for more detail if necessary.

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't mind breaking up the country into quadrants to allow room for more detail if necessary.
All the detail is already available on the SD card. It has every single small road and city name already in it.

The problem is the way they have the display programmed so you have to be zoomed way in for any of the details to show up.

The older Garmin units used to let you select the detail level you wanted at what zoom level. I don't think any of the new ones do this anymore. It's probably the biggest complaint Garmin has now with all of their units. I don't understand why they don't fix it, because everyone in the GPS community hates it. The Honda Navi seems to actually be worse in this regards too. The Nuvi's I have used seem to show more detail than the Honda Navi. They really have hosed it up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just received email notification that Garmin has charged my credit card ($109.94) and has shipped my CF Update card!!! Hopefully everyone else will be getting theirs also.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My navi crashes even when not using a route. I have 7100 miles now and the navi has crashed at least 12 times. I am lucky in that I have made the mod to use the navi while moving. Now I do not have to stop to hit the enter key.

G

·
Ghost,

Honda had a fix for the earlier Garmins and sent you a card direct and charged you?:?:

Ghost,

So I'm guessing Honda will send a recall/fix notice and have the Dealer do a card swap? Yamaha did that with my FJR and just had us bring it in and swapped the CPU.

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke to the lead tech at one of the largest GoldWing dealers in the US today, and he contacted American Honda in California to relay some info to them about the failure, and they told him that Honda Japan is already aware of the issue and are working on a fix, which pretty much confirms what the OEM division at Garmin told me. Though no one has mentioned a date yet on when it will be released, but I suspect it won't be long, since this little bug has the potential to bite into sales of new bikes if they don't fix it soon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks Fred. So when eventually Honda will send us a new SD card?

Mine's never crashed but I'll take the upgrade just the same.

When it comes time to upgrade the maps, I'm wondering if Garmin will have a way of letting us pay and download rather than using the post office to mail an SD card.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just read the artical on the 2012 Gold Wing in the Nov/Dec Issue of RoadBike Motorcycle Cruising Magazine and the review talks about the navigation crash! They spoke to Honda and Honda said to remove the data SD card, start up the bike, and then reinsert the SD card when prompted to! The guy doing the review said it seemed to clear out all the glitches after doing this! Worth a try!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts