GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this saturday my SO and I are going to Arrington,Va to pick up our new Escapade trailer.......................................... from Houma, La..
our route takes us from New Orleans to Mobile, Al... to Montgomery, AL
to Atlanta, Ga... to Greenville, SC.. to Charlotte to Greensboro and north on 29 to Arrington...

I don't look forward to going thru Atlanta.. anyone have any advise
which is the best route to take to avoid traffic & lots of delays ? coming back we plan to go to Asheville to the BRP to Cherokee and Gatlinburg..

tia

cosmic

·
Registered
289 Posts
If your coming through Atlanta on Saturday or Sunday you wll not have any problems.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hot-lanta

I travel through Hot-lanta about a dozen times a year and I have found the best way is riding straight through on I-85.......NOT the I-285 circle. It's not all that bad barring any major traffic issues. Try not to be there from 6 to 9 AM and 4 to 7 PM.....that's high traffic time. Coming from the South on I-85 when I-85 merges with I-75 look across the 8 lanes and get into the HOV lane on the for left. You will be running next to a wall on your left side and of course traffic on the right. The HOV lane is okay for motorcycles and must be okay for a bike pulling a trailer since that's the way I ride through "Hot-lanta" everytime. Run about 70 and you should be okay. Keep an eye out ahead of you for traffic slowing when you approach downtown "Hot-lanta" where the tunnels or over-passes are located. I don't know why, but traffic usually slows to around 50 MPH in that area real suddenly. From that point, 70 is the normal running speed and all you need to do is hang in the HOV lane until it ends on the North side of "Hot-lanta." Have a good trip and hope you enjoy your new trailer.

JJ

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
COSMIC,
bypass Atlanta? here's one way.
Ride over to Natchez,Ms., take the Trace to Nashville,then I-81 to Roanoke,Va.. Would probably add about 120 miles,2 hrs. to your trip.
Stay safe,
the hobo

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Straight thru Atlanta on weekends is really not too bad if there are no wrecks. I-81 is nowhere near Nashville.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I85 righ through downtown on the week end use HOV lane and just twist on the throttle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts