GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one and what is your opinion. Pro's & Con's?

I am curious as to rather you can put speakers in the ear slots and how well they fit.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have one and I really like the ability to flip the face up. My allergies give me an itchy nose, so it comes in handy to be able to give it a rub when the need arises.. ;)

I had tried to put some speakers inside, but I had trouble hearing because they did not line up directly with my ear canal, so I ended up taking them out. I made an adaptop for my ear buds, and when I am on a long trip, I plug the ear buds into the intercom system.

It does have the little vents you can open up for flow through ventilation, but I question how well that works. I have never noticed much of a difference with them open.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got a HJC SY-Max II Modular Helmet which I got in November. It is a very comfortable helmet with improved ventilation over the original Sy-Max from everything I have heard. I looked at the Nolan N103 VS the Sy-Max 2 and comfort is what ended up winning out. It is also cheaper than the Nolan. The noise level isn't half bad either but you're going to have the noise no matter what with a flip up. The Sy-Max 2 also has the inner sunglass/integrated sun visor which is great. The sun visor could be darker but it comes down over another pair of glasses fine. The visor retracts very quickly with the push of the release button. BTW, I have not put speakers or mic in the helmet yet as I have them in our other helmets, so I can't help you there. I love this helmet!:yes1:
Mike, I wanted to add that if you get a Sy-Max 2, try it on first & plan on getting a size larger than you normally wear!

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I bought two CL-Max helmets in June 2005. I had to cut out some of the helmet's foam liner to get speakers to fit, so it isn't an "easy" job, but very doable. I don't know if the design has changed recently, but the ones I had did not have a pocket to drop the speakers directly into.

I recently retired those helmets in favor of the HJC SY-Max II which I like much better.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Have the SY-MAX II and like it, although it does have a few features that could be better.... IMHO.

The slide down sunshade could be a little longer and darker. If you hold down the button and push the slide it will give you another 3/8", but I would like it just a tad bit longer.
The closure/lock mechanism is plastic instead of steel.

Fit is good and the ear pockets are deep enough for speakers.
Ventilation seems to be ok.
Noise level is about on par with other flip face helmets.

The KBC FFR has a steel closure/lock mechanism, has ample space for speakers and is usually cheaper than the SY-MAX II, although it doesn't have the slide down sunshade.

Both helmets are DOT approved and seem to fit a "oval" head shape best.

·
Registered
549 Posts
have both the CL max and SY max.......

since i like to take the face shield on and off alot... i do not like the
way the CL max shields fit in the hinge.... its like you almost have
to break them out and feel like damage is imminent...

now the SY max... face shield in a nice groovy slot it fits into nice and easy and works much better... and of course now they have
the SY max II... which has even more features...

i wouldnt buy a CL max again :cool:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
My experience with these:
The HJC CL-max was never intended for head sets. Major modifications are needed.

The old Sy-max did accomodate head sets, but the speakers needed to be mounted on the chin straps because of the position of strap mounting rivets. Not a good design. Also this helmet has plastic closure-lock for the chin bar. The helmet vent system is a real noise maker.

The new Sy-max II has plenty of room for head sets. Thicker speakers may need to be recessed into the foam liner a bit, but the strap rivets are not a problem. The Sy-max II has "metal" closure-lock. The built in sun shade is a good feature but it is not dark enough for me. Noise from the vent system is greatly improved.

As with all flip up helmets, these are still quite noisy for wind. But over all... the flip-up feature is really terrific!

Everyones head is shaped a bit different, so buying a helmet for its features is not always possible. I like the Shoi Multitec, but it does not fit my head. The Nolan seems to fit. But I dont like the slider for the new internal sun shade as it is hard to adjust with gloves on. Have to just try on as many as possible because fit is more important than features.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
My wife and I both had CL Max's. The install of J&M headsets was easy and worked great. However, I hated the latching mechanism which always seemed hard to open and close - and eventually broke on mine. I found out later the latch was plastic.

We later moved to Nolan N102's. Same great fit with the intercom headsets, but a smooth stainless latch. Much better engineering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife & I both got CL-Max helmets at Wings Over the Smokies and had the J&M headsets installed by the dealer. They work great but I have one caution...........the sizes seem to run a little toward the small end of the spectrum. I got XL and it is extremely tight. My wife's medium is very tight on her as well. We're just hoping they get broken in for a more comfortable fit as time goes on.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a CL-max and had to modify the foam quite a bit to get the speakers in. And as mentioned earlier with the 1st version of the Sy-max, I had to place the speakers on the straps in order to have them over my ears. I also had to cut a notch in the trim plastic for the boom mic. It works, but is not an optimal install IMO.

I also don't like the plastic latching mechanism - it has to be practically slammed in order to latch shut, and I'm always afraid it will break. I saw that the new Sy-max has metal latching, as well as the Nolan, and they both have a smooth and easy operation when I played with them at the dealer. It will be one of those two that will replace my CL-Max when the time comes (hopefully soon :roll: ). Maybe a NOS N-102 will find it's way to my attention soon ;)

G

·
My wife and I both have the Symax II, The J&M ear pieces fit into the pockets perfectly which my wife opened and then sewed closed. The rest is easy, the boom mic fits very nicely and when properly installed lines up with your mouth and has little wind noise. Spend the extra bucks on the Symax II.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts