GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda shopping for a new trailer. I am pretty familiar with most of the popular brand names, and fairly informed about the choices between them. One trailer I haven't seen much discussion about is the GLT by Thoroughbred (Motor Trikes' company). Does any one here have experience with this trailer? If so, I'd appreciate your comments, pro or con.

I also vaguely remember a discussion here some time ago about a trailer very similar to the Aluma made and sold by a fellow in Oklahoma, I think, or maybe it was Texas. As I recall, the trailer was basically the same style as the Aluma and the discussion indicated owner satisfaction with it, while others believed the Aluma was a better trailer and that this one was just a knock off. Can anyone tell me the name of the similar trailer, or the company name that produces and sells the thing?

A second question about either the Aluma or the one similar, has anyone ever had any problems with water leakage around the lid into the body of the trailer? I can't tell by looking at the pictures if there is any sort of gasket present on the Aluma, or if it just relies on the lip of the top that covers the edge of the body and down the side just a bit. Does the top on either of these trailers fit snugly enough to prevent water or dust entry into the interior of the trailer?

An additional question ... these last two trailers wear 12 inch tires, correct? and they have a rubber mounted torsion type suspension for the wheels/tires, correct? Any problems at all with these? Any problems with correct caster, camber, or toe in? Are the wheel bearings off the shelf at any parts store items or are they proprietary to the builder?

Sorry for the basket full of questions in a single post ... but I'll sure appreciate any help with them. At this point, I'm not looking for suggestions for the other trailers and comment about why they are better than any of the above. My old Eagle trailer has a ton of miles and lots and lots of years on the clock. It uses a cast aluminum wheel very similar to the BushTec trailer and in fact has a set of the 6 ply BushTec tires on it now. They are long in the tooth, and I'm concerned about hearing that these tires are no longer available. I'm not excited about running a two ply tire on this trailer. Additionally, I find my self replacing a sealed bearing in one or the other of the wheels fairly often. Partly that may be because I bought a box full of bearings that I found out later were not US made, and I suspect the quality of them is not as good as say a Timken, etc. But, the bearings are not as snug in the wheels as they used to be, and the axles on the trailer are getting to show some wear. So I'm thinking about getting another trailer.

I really like the Eagle, because it is so light and tows so easily. Most trailers available today will weigh close to as much empty as my trailer weighs loaded. But as with all things, there comes a time for retirement. I have plenty of time for this, but I'm looking. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
466 Posts
America's Best trailer

My brother has a trailer that looks almost identical to the Aluma. I think it is made by America's Best. Send him a PM and I'm sure he will be glad to tell you the pro's and con's. His username is Cherokee82050. He has a Roadsmith trike he pulls it with and he says it pulls great at all speeds, It has 12 inch wheels and it has a seal between the lid and body and has never leaked yet.

·
Registered
465 Posts
http://www.minitrailerusa.com/shadow-diamond-trailer.htm

I think this is what your wanting. I have the Shadow and a friend of mine just bought a Nomad both of us are very pleased with our trailers.

It has a seal inside the door I have never had a problem with water.

Is it better than the Aluma? I dont know. Wont comment on something I dont know anything about . I can say mine sells for a lot less money, it looks good and it does the job.

12 in wheels and suspenion works well.

Not one complaint from me.

Someone will get on here and tell you how much better trailer X is over trailer Y (especially if they have 50 X trailers for sale on their lot) There are a lot of nice trailers out there. Find one you like to look at and doest hurt your pocket. Get info from folks who know the trailer and enjoy.

Also this is made in Vinita Ok.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks R and R ... that's the one I was thinking about. I don't really mind if someone talks up what they own ... I do the same thing with my RoadSmith Trike. Thing is though, I would also state my dislikes or troubles with it, and will if I ever have any!! LOL!

I'll take a look at the trailer site ... how a thing is constructed is very important to me, as well as how it works in regular use. So is customer service after the sale ... a vendor should stand behind what they sell, or they shouldn't be sellin' it, IMO. And I like to be able to get stuff (like wheel bearings) that normally wear out and sometimes are just not good from the beginning either from the vendor or from the counter of any handy parts store.

I appreciate your post and your sentiments!! Thanks ...

Hogs,

I also appreciate your information. I may just do that ... I think I found the site you mention and their trailers are also good looking rigs. And your brother is bound to be a good source of valuable information if he rides a RoadSmith Trike!!!! I really like to hear stories of products that work like they are supposed to work!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you want a trailer that looks like an Aluma, why not get one. American made, pulls great and so far, 4 years, I have no complaints.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am very glad you have had good luck with your Aluma, njlefty. But your assumption that I'm looking for a trailer that looks like an Aluma is a much greater leap than you ought to be making without any clothes on!!! I'm looking at all trailers that will meet my needs ... some of them don't, and some of them also do not meet the price range that I'm willing to spend. Your criteria may very well be different than mine, and that's perfectly OK. Your avatar is ample evidence that our tastes are very different!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
"I would also state my dislikes or troubles with it, and will if I ever have any!! LOL! "

As will I......:thumbup:

R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts