GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about the backorder situation, ah'm ALMOST ashamed ta say that ah've got mah +4 mounted an' am runnin' with it.....<G>

Initial impressions:

Let me preface this with saying that starting with my '96, I've got a bit over 200,000 miles behind regular Tulsa shields, so there's a certain amount of bias here.

Over the years, I've heard lots of complaints from folks that claim they "always" hit their heads on the windshield when they mount. All I can say is that if that's true, they've got serious learning curve issues. :)

As usual, the optical quality is simply top-shelf. I often hear folks with other shields comment that "hey - it's pretty good for the money I saved". Well, I'm funny - when I buy something, I EXPECT it to be as good as humanly possible - and Tulsa has never failed to live up to that in my experience.

The installation is pretty straightforward, with pretty good instructions, especially for a product that's new. There's going to be some minor rewording I suspect, but even as it is, there were no challenges to getting it installed.

This new Tulsa allows a LOT more air - yet the flow is very stable - for some reason, not the heavy buffeting I have gotten from the OEM units. At this point, I've only got about 500 miles on it, but about 100 of those were in the rain, and that is where I REALLY missed my regular Tulsa. Because of its' more vertical orientation (like the OEM style), you get a LOT more rain into the cockpit area. Much has been written about the way rain runs down the back side of the Tulsa shields - in my mind, it beats the heck outta gettin' nailed in the face and chest with it! Once you hit about 50 or 60, it's a lot better - but that's a challenge in some of the rain conditions I ran in.

I need to run another thousand miles or so at least before I say much more, but my initial thought is that this IS a nice shield for the hotter months, owing to the increased air flow - but the rain situation overshadows that in my mind.

I'll post more in a few more weeks - those of you wanting to see one "live", I'll be at the WOTI "Holy Smokes BBQ" gathering in Huntsville, Texas on September 30th.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wingriderz said:
Versus the regular tulsa or the OEM?

Thanks for the report btw.
Yer quite welcome - that's compared to the Standard Tulsa......

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said Paul - the wind is NOT buffeting, and actually felt good. The 50-60 mph rain drops, however, I kin do without!<G>

I forgot to mention in the original post.......

I'm 6' with 31" inseam. At the lowest setting, the +4" cuts just below my sightline, allowin' me ta duck behind it or sit up straight an' look over. If I were orderin' another one, I'd go with the +2" instead to give me a bit more room to relax and still look over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TexasRedneck,
I was wondering if your windshield was tinted or not. I just ordered a tinted and have been a little worried if the tinting will ever be a problem for me. Has a tinted shield ever make you feel you couldn't see as well?

Thanks for the review,

Scott

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - both the new and my old one is tinted. If anything, I think the tint helps reduce glare at night - I've never felt it impeded my vision at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts