GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 5th, while on a ride from Vegas (2200 feet) to the Cedar Breaks, UT area
(9000 feet plus)......the FI (fuel injection) warning light came on. It came on after riding about 1/4 of a tank of Chevron 88 octane. It came on while coming off the mountain at about 6500 feet. The gl ran fine while the light was on. I ran the her for about 10 minutes until I found a proper place to pull over. I shut her down and read the owners manual...not good...take it to a dealer immediately. When I fired her up...the light was out and the gl continued to run fine 2 1/2 hours back to Vegas.

Other....I repeat she always ran fine during this "episode"....the gl is a properly maintained 05' w/ 53k miles...the temps were approx 70 ish on the mountain and about 106 on the slab....the dealer suggests not bringing it in until the light comes on again or the gl doesn't run properly.

I have given her a dose of "Sea Foam" and plan to keep taking short rides and monitoring the situation... (warrantied until next summer).

Comments? :shrug: Thanks

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Just a fluke, if it doesn't do it again, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You might have an O2 sensor going bad (slowly) and the ride at higher elevation and lower O2, triggered the light. When you got back at a lower elevation with higher O2 level it measured OK.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
When the FI light comes on you need to retreive the code by simply comming to a stop with the engine still running.

DO NOT Shut the Engine OFF.

Put the bike in neutral and extend the sidestand at which time you should get some flashes, long & or short. That can lead you in the correct direction if you have the codes with you.

Why not to shut the engine off.
IF you actually have an Injector Problem the bike will not start untill you replace the falty one. If an Injector is in trouble the engine wouldn't be running quite right on 5 cylinders.

Note that with the "Brain Dammaged", some say OBD-0, ECM in the 1800's they can only set a Code for the Injectors on a complete failure. The same is true for the O2 Sensors where the ECM can only report an Open or Short on either the Heater or Sensor Circuits.
Poor readings on the O2 Sensors aren't reported as a Code! Remember this is an OBD-0 ECM.

Random FI Codes are most likely due to poor connections with any number of Sensors.
Sometimes the Code that was Set and went away can be retreived using methods in the Service manual for the particular model years.

Do a search on this board for more info on the Codes than you can stand.
When you find the ones that fit your model year print em out and put a copy with your Owners Booklet in the trunk. Do the same with how to retreive the Codes after the fact.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
FI means Fault Indicator. NOT Fuel Injectors.

The FI light comes on and does a series of flashes, some long some short. They are a code for the diagnostics of the bike. If it comes on but does not flash, there is NO PROBLEM. You can reset it by turning off the bike and turning it back on. The light will go out. It may do it sometimes and sometimes not. There isn't a problem. Just ride it. It will stop doing it. Mine did the same thing. If you are really concerned and it comes on every time you ride then you can take it to a dealer to have the FI rest. It takes a code reader to do a reset. Covered by your warranty.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FI Warning Light Comments

Thank You for the comments.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Bob. Did you get a flashing FI light and count the flashes to determine it was an injector. I was wondering if you assumed that when the FI light was on and not flashing it indicated a fuel injection problem. If so, this is not the case. The FI light signifies fault indicator and you must count the flashes to find the code results.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FI Warning Light Comments

Bob. Did you get a flashing FI light and count the flashes to determine it was an injector. I was wondering if you assumed that when the FI light was on and not flashing it indicated a fuel injection problem. If so, this is not the case. The FI light signifies fault indicator and you must count the flashes to find the code results.
The FI Light was not flashing.......it stayed on for about 10 minutes until I was able to pull over and shut her down....no FI Light Illuminated upon restart...I have tried to get a flash code read as per comments here and the shop manual procedure...the FI Light has not come on again...no flashes to read.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was just wanting to make sure I understood your post correctly. If you had not shut down the engine and put down the kickstand in neutral you probably would have gotten a flashing FI. Hope it has resolved itself.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
code procedure

I was just wanting to make sure I understood your post correctly. If you had not shut down the engine and put down the kickstand in neutral you probably would have gotten a flashing FI. Hope it has resolved itself.
If I get the FI Warning light again..........I will know what to do. :yes1:

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts