GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the company doing about the power drain when the bike is not running? There seems to be a lot of comments on this in the Innovv forum and it is killing batteries. There should not have to be an owner provided fix at our cost for a known problem on an expensive product..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess it wasn’t clear enough..I was talking about the Innovv company and their product, not Honda...

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
904 Posts
I connected my K2 up to a switched power supply. It turns off when the bike turns off. Now, if you connect it to the battery so it stays "live" to record anyone tampering with your bike - wouldn't you expect it to draw down your battery over time? Just like a car alarm - leave it on for a few months and your car will be dead. This really IS a user issue, as Innovv can't predict how you will use it, or what your desired use would be.

Reactions: anotherone

·
Registered
904 Posts
No, I still think it's user error. I have a K2, and regularly leave my bike parked at Los Angeles Airport for 2-3 weeks at a time, with zero issues. Current draw is zero when the bike is turned off.

Now, I don't use the park mode - which leaves the unit live and on (including GPS). Guess what - if you leave the unit programmed to stay live and ready to record issues when parked, it WILL pull power constantly. Turn that mode off, and you'll be fine. Or if you use a battery tender each night, and/or ride daily, then it's not an issue.

I really think this is a consumer issue, not really understanding what is going on when you leave a system in "park mode" - the system is live, just not recording, unless it is moved (meaning GPS has to be live) or a loud noise or big bump happens. Yes, Innovv could make it more "explicit" of what will happen if you use park mode, but to me it seemed obvious from the get-go; the system will draw down because it has to stay live, but not recording. So I turned that mode off.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be installing mine as soon as it gets here so I guess its wait and see for me. Hopefully it works the same as yours. Are you happy with the performance? Did you need any extra parts other than those included in the K2 kit?

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I will never buy another product from INNOVV. I have had 3 cameras from them. The first works when in feels like it, but does have a good video. The second was bad out of the box. I sent it back for repair and they did not even test it never taken out of the packaging. The third drained my battery and has now been cut out of the bike. Do not waste your money with this company.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I will be installing mine as soon as it gets here so I guess its wait and see for me. Hopefully it works the same as yours. Are you happy with the performance? Did you need any extra parts other than those included in the K2 kit?
Works great as far as I am concerned. On cold days, it sometimes doesn't "kick on", seems to have a bit a thermal limitation (say, below 50 deg when starting). But it records plenty well, simple to connect (I have mine wired up to a Fuzeblock power distribution unit) and records without concern. I've only pulled video off it a few times, but it was plenty clear - well, given the dirt on the lens, it was clear enough... ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your front camera mounted above the fender on center? No problem with hitting the fender with a panic stop or something?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Is your front camera mounted above the fender on center? No problem with hitting the fender with a panic stop or something?
Off to the side - not centered. Enough of a coverage angle.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Be very careful when putting anything between the front fender and the bodywork above. While most of the time you will be OK. Hitting a bump during braking can cause disastrous results. On many bikes there is not an inch of space at full compression.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Where would the best place be to get switched power from?
I always use the auxiliary power port. I use that to turn on a Fuzeblock, and then I have 6 switched circuits to play with...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Not sure where the aux power port is. I have been considering a fuzeblock or a pdm60, but I dont really see me needing anymore circuits to power and a fuzeblock is an expensive solution for only one addition.
The camera showed up on Monday and looks pretty good. I have had the rear of the bike apart to install the trunk rack and brake light so I intend to put the cameras in while I am at it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Having issues with my new K2. Phone cannot see it most of the time, there is no auto connection and recording, I have to fiddle with powering on and off and wifi and airplane mode for ten minutes before finally getting it to work, contacting them today.

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
User error

read the manual

it is not hard to turn the bike off

repeat step two

1 - 20 of 27 Posts