GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a unit to install on my wing and thought I would ask for some input. I am currently looking at the Garmin 2820. I just have to convince the wife this is the best one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Just tell her how easily it connects to the cellphone (allowing for 'safely' being able to keep in touch with her), how it includes XM radio capability (the wide variety of music available will keep you alert on long trips) and the XM weather data [no radar images] will keep you out of harm's way.

It's a SAFETY issue! 8)

In all seriousness, if you want the integrated bluetooth and the other features mentioned in a M/C-friendly package, you're pretty much limited to the 2820 and the soon-to-be-released Zumo.

Remember that when you're budgeting, you're going to need the GPS itself (app. $760), some type of mounting system ($35-160), if you want to take advantage of the audio features, you're going to need a Kennedy I/F system (app. $200) and the XM antenna adds about $230.

When you get it installed and wired, you're looking around $1,300+

Remember, it's a SAFETY device!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Joey -

For what its worth, I put on a Garmin 2730 about three weeks ago, mainly to replace a 2610 that I used occasionally, and a GPS V that stayed with the bike while in the state. It also replaced a Roady XM radio.

But I rode a ways with Jon this weekend. He has a Lawrence GPS on his bike, and after looking at them both, no way in hell I will ever get another Garmin. I could not even see mine to read the screen because of the glare, and I could read his from across the street. It has a bigger screen, does not wash out, and intuitive instructions. And I don't even know what model it was, but that may have been an expensive trip for me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
IR Harry said:
He has a Lawrence GPS on his bike, and after looking at them both, no way in hell I will ever get another Garmin. I could not even see mine to read the screen because of the glare, and I could read his from across the street. It has a bigger screen, does not wash out, and intuitive instructions.
Wow -- that IS a sterling testimonial. If you can't READ your screen it pretty much negates the purpose and usefulness of your GPS. I'm only hoping the highly-touted high-bright readable/UV-resistant screen on the Zumo I pre-ordered is as wonderful as they say. I read a review of the new Nuvi 660 on GPSLodge and they said the screen was about the brightest they'd ever seen. Since it's the same as the one on the Zumo, it's a good bet it does.

Anyway, for the original poster, I personally feel you can't go wrong with a Garmin (and the 2820 is a stupendous GPS). HOWEVER, it sincerely is best to compare say, 3 or 4 brands or models you would strongly consider, then do yourself a HUGE favor and prepare a matrix or table showing ALL features and subtle nuances and then make an educated decision based on that. Some units will have everything you want; others will be missing a couple of features, price could be a consideration, there's a NUMBER of factors to rely on. We all love the GPS we're using currently, but only a handful of us have used more than one or two models so it's hard to be objective. Best of luck and ENJOY the GPS you end up with (as I'm sure you will).

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
IR Harry said:
He has a Lawrence GPS on his bike, and after looking at them both, no way in hell I will ever get another Garmin. I could not even see mine to read the screen because of the glare, and I could read his from across the street. It has a bigger screen, does not wash out, and intuitive instructions.
Yes, that is quite a testimonial - most are not honest enough to admit that the unit that they bought is not the end-all be-all (for whatever type of device). People assume that I'm just an iWay shill or that I have some sort of agenda against Garmin - I don't. I just report what I know for a fact (good & bad) when comparing multiple types of units.

I don't know how many times on the chiliburger ride last weekend I saw people doing the 'Garmin Salute' so they could see their display. (This is where you put your hand up to provide enough shade to see the screen, even on the brightest setting and get close enough to read the details) 8)

I still own an SP3 and had planned on buying a 2610 to replace it with when they first came out. When I had one here for a customer's installation, I was 'underwhelmed' enough that I waited for my upgrade to see what else might become available. When I had a customer send me his iWay for wiring modifications and mount testing, I was spoiled. He let me keep it for a while and I was hooked - when I sent it back to him, using my SP3 was a definite step down.

Since then, I've played with most of the other Garmin models and while some have some neat features, the 'locked' user interface, dumbed-down programming (on all but the ColorMap units) and fixed memory storage capabilities on the pre-loaded units make them all a compromise (for my expectations, anyway).

Everybody that is looking at this type of purchase needs to prioritize their needs and then see what unit best fits those requirements. For example, if you HAVE to have Nexrad Weather Radar data, you only have to worry about choosing between three models. If you want your phone integrated with the unit, this again limits your choices to a few models. That's not to say that those are bad choices - if they fit your needs, they are the right choice for you.

Harry is obviously a very smart man with a lot of experience and I hope when I'm his age I'm still in a condition where I can ride a bike at all, let alone ride like he does. :clap2: Tom Finch is another that I'd like to get a chance to ride with someday.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
mbresso said:
... I'm only hoping the highly-touted high-bright readable/UV-resistant screen on the Zumo I pre-ordered is as wonderful as they say. I read a review of the new Nuvi 660 on GPSLodge and they said the screen was about the brightest they'd ever seen. Since it's the same as the one on the Zumo, it's a good bet it does...
I'm sorry, Mike but you're setting your hopes too high. The display on the Zumo is not the same as the 660 (nothing is, yet). The display on the Zumo is actually closer to the specs of the c550, which is shown in this display comparison below. (from the GPSLodge review you mentioned)

I got a kick out of this statement: "Check out all the extra real estate, and you will see why this is a big deal."

While I applaud their effort to increase the amount of screen real estate, I think it would be more useful to increase the usable information for the road ahead of you instead of off to the sides. What would be useful might be some screen comparisons of the usable map area centered on the vehicle position indicator.

One other thing to remember when comparing the Zumo to the 660 is that the 660 is listed as having a 'White back light' (similar to the iWay) but the Zumo does not (maybe it's just not listed).

Another thing I found is that the Zumo only allows storage for one route (the existing StreetPilot units support up to 50 stored routes)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Jon said:
mbresso said:
... I'm only hoping the highly-touted high-bright readable/UV-resistant screen on the Zumo I pre-ordered is as wonderful as they say. I read a review of the new Nuvi 660 on GPSLodge and they said the screen was about the brightest they'd ever seen. Since it's the same as the one on the Zumo, it's a good bet it does...
I'm sorry, Mike but you're setting your hopes too high. The display on the Zumo is not the same as the 660 (nothing is, yet). The display on the Zumo is actually closer to the specs of the c550, which is shown in this display comparison below. (from the GPSLodge review you mentioned)
Sorry for the confusion. When I said the display was "the same," my comment only pertained to to the brightness of the display -- which I understand employs the same 2006 engineering as the Zumo -- and not the size.

In actuality, I am perfectly happy that the total area of the Zumo's screen size is virtually the same as most of the popular or tried and true Garmin line (e.g., SPIII - very slightly larger than the Zumo; 26xx, 27xx, 28xx series - very slightly smaller...; most Nuvis and the C550 - the same...), models that have proved quite adequate for a huge segment of the GPS-purchasing consumer. In taking the entire package into consideration, larger doesn't mean better, it only means larger.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've tried the Lowrance GPS in the truck of a friend of mine. I wasn't really that much impressed about the unit. The large screen was nice, but nothing else of the unit came close to the Garmin unit (especially searches).

A bigger screen doesn't mean a thing if it has the same resolution as a smaller one. Maybe if you look at it from a mile away, but on the bike it's close by that it doesn't make a difference - unless you can hardly see or read.

The 2xxx Garmin units all have the problem of glare (they are built for cars not bikes). One of the many reasons I settled for the 378, which I can read even when the sun shines right on it.

Reiner

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the iWay500C. I have had great luck with it and Lowrance seems to be improving the program at least 1 or 2 times a year. I cannot see how anyone can go wrong with any garmin either..... well the 2620 had some disk problems but I think the Garmin is a solid performer too.

FF

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just bought the garmin 2730. I thought it would be better than my streetpilot III. I was very disappointed at the glare problem on my new toy, i didn't tell my wife this though. Oh, did i say that this is the best unit for the bike. LOL ride safe, Kevin

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
reinerka said:
...A bigger screen doesn't mean a thing if it has the same resolution as a smaller one. Maybe if you look at it from a mile away, but on the bike it's close by that it doesn't make a difference - unless you can hardly see or read...
Not true, unless all you care about is the pixel density. In the real world, larger screen size equals more displayable map detail. For example, the larger screen size on the iWay means that more map detail can be shown when compared to the same screen on a smaller display.

Here is a comparison of the 2610 and the iWay displaying the same map location (the iWay is even on a 400' scale while the 2610 is on a 300' scale)

To see the map detail on the streetpilots, you have to zoom in to see what's happening and then zoom back out to see where the roads go. Here's the same data point at .3 mile scale on the SP3 and the iWay.

You can see (especially if you click the picture for a larger version) that the SP3 doesn't show any of the cool forest service roads at that scale. If you zoom in enough where they're displayed, you can't see where they end up.

Use the two units side by side and you'll see what I mean. (but you need to have an open mind :) )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts