GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to inspect the air filter with a Borescope without taking anything apart. Is this possible? Please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Yes, you can go through either side with the faring pocket pulled out. Look for the air tubes going down to the air box and just stick the camera end of the borescope in and you should be able to see the top of the air filter.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Pull off the center section that houses the message center, not sure what it is called, the grey thing. Any hoo, the intake for the air filter is just below it. They are black, oblong round. Run the scope in there. You may be able to do it without removing the piece, but I haven't looked.
Check out the handlebar slots, toward the seat part of the slots, you may be able to see them.

Good Luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
I tried

I borrowed my friend's scope and could only see the top of the pleats, the bottom of the pleats were in shadows. I normally check it by holding it up the light to see how dirty it is,
Unless it is very dirty, the scope is a poor substitute.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I checked mine today with a scope. It articulates so I can look around pretty good. At 24k miles it looks a little dirty but I think I'll go awhile longer before I change it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I borrowed my friend's scope and could only see the top of the pleats, the bottom of the pleats were in shadows. I normally check it by holding it up the light to see how dirty it is,
Unless it is very dirty, the scope is a poor substitute.
Did you use the right angle mirror attachment on the end of the scope probe
:?: I have an imager from Snap-On (Just another name for a fancy boroscope that can even take color photographs of what you are viewing) and can see the bottom of the pleats.
The right angle attachment is a brass screw-on extra that is usually packaged with a magnetic pick-up. As usual Snap-On wants a small fortune for extras :twisted:. The light on the head of my imager is bright enough to see the brand name of the sneaker a love bug may be wearing :joke:.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Able to inspect Air filter

I removed the right glovebox (storage unit or what ever it's called) and use the scope to inspect inside. It was hard to check between the folds due to the size of the borescope tube. However, I saw enough to determine its time to change the filter. I borrowed the scope from work. I plan to purchase a lower cost model that has a smaller diameter tube - this will make it easier to route the tube into the box. Thanks for all you comments and recommendation !!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Going thru the left pocket access hole, it only takes me about 5 minutes to inspect the filter. I offer this service to the folks in my area (justifies the Tool purchase). I have used it for other things like locating one of the grommets from the lower right side cover that popped inboard. The picture was posted by someone on this board. Forgot who it was but would like to acknowledge their contribution to my tool box inventory.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
You guys seem to be working hard to avoid what will have to be done anyway?
Just say'n.
Well, true enough but it's an awful lot of work to find out if there's been critters in there chewing it to bits a month after you installed it. Oddly, the "cure" for critters disables the ability to use a scope in the tubes unless......

·
Registered
581 Posts
I want to inspect the air filter with a Borescope without taking anything apart. Is this possible? Please let me know. Thanks!
An air filter visual inspection alone will not tell you the effectiveness of the filter. Stu Oltman has addressed this many times in Wing World. Change the filter according to the maintenance schedule with a Honda OEM filter and you will be doing it the best way possible.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Going thru the left pocket access hole, it only takes me about 5 minutes to inspect the filter. I offer this service to the folks in my area (justifies the Tool purchase). I have used it for other things like locating one of the grommets from the lower right side cover that popped inboard. The picture was posted by someone on this board. Forgot who it was but would like to acknowledge their contribution to my tool box inventory.
Notice post #8 and look back through my previous posts :idea: :lol:

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Using a simple pre filter I get more life out of the filter!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, true enough but it's an awful lot of work to find out if there's been critters in there chewing it to bits a month after you installed it. Oddly, the "cure" for critters disables the ability to use a scope in the tubes unless......
....or next time you change that filter remove the metal mesh from the old one and cover th air horns with it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
An air filter visual inspection alone will not tell you the effectiveness of the filter. Stu Oltman has addressed this many times in Wing World. Change the filter according to the maintenance schedule with a Honda OEM filter and you will be doing it the best way possible.
Thank You!:bow:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts