GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to put my sticker on the fork slider or any of the paint/chrome, so I made this gizmo for it. It's out of a 2" x 8" x 1/8" piece of Lowe's aluminum. I have crude fabrication tools (hammer, vice, clamps, wood blocks, etc.), so it's far from perfect. But it does its job and doesn't look too bad. I kinda matched the curve line of the bottom of the front fender and laid it alongside the lower left fork. Here's a couple pics of how it's bent/cut.

I had a friend run a bead of weld right above the bolt holes (pic #3) to strenghten that bend. It stress-fractured when I bent it.
The bracket is mounted using the left axle pinch bolts. They're only torqued to 16 so it should work just fine. I simply measured the outside hole and drilled it. Using that hole/bolt to secure the bracket, I did the final alignment with the fender. Then, from the back side, I used a drill bit that would just fit inside the threads of the inside hole (Sort of like a transfer punch would have done had I had one). A couple turns by hand and it marked the second hole right where needed. Here's what it looks like on the bike.

I would add that 2" is a bare minimum width for a Missouri inspection sticker to fit. My garage guy didn't line mine up perfectly and it stuck over the front slightly. Nothing a sharp stanley knife couldn't fix though.

To make it presentable I wet-sanded with progressively finer grades (400 to 2000 grit), and finished it up with some Mother's mag polish to get the shine. Total cost was around $10, most of that because I had to buy a 3' piece of aluminum. And a couple hrs. labor, but labor's cheap when you're payin yourself.

What say you other Mo. boys?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Looks really good. Gene's Gallery, though, puts the sticker under the headlight lower cowl. That way you dont have to look at the stickers. I agree though, most shops put those ugly things on the fork sliders and its ugly...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Stickers?

Stickers....? We don't use no stinkin' stickers......! At least here in Ahia...:thumbup:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Looks really good. Gene's Gallery, though, puts the sticker under the headlight lower cowl. That way you dont have to look at the stickers. I agree though, most shops put those ugly things on the fork sliders and its ugly...

Gene's does inspections? That's where I"m going, even though it's 2 1/2 hours away.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gene's does inspections? That's where I"m going, even though it's 2 1/2 hours away.
Oh yeah, he's full service on top of inspections. He installs trike kits, used bikes (2 and 3 wheel), accessories, tires, GoPro, about anything you'd like to have or need for the 1500 and 1800 wings. Greg is top notch in my book. Worth a 2.5 hour trip. Tell him Bill from Springfield CMA sent ya... wait he may charge you double, never mind :lol:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sticker

I have mine put on the inside of the gas door.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would not get so anal about a sticker on my bike.... Who cares.
Number of people put chromed plastic farkles on their motorcycles that look more hideous than an inspection sticker.:popcorn:

·
Registered
457 Posts
STicker

Great idea. Dreading the day mine gets old enough to require one.
Regulation is pretty specific on placement of stickers. Did you have any problem getting the inspector to put it there?
Actually the first time I put it under there a few years back when the inspector stuck it inside the front fork it was coming loose after I got home so I just pulled it the rest of the way off and placed it under the lid. When I get the inspection this month I'll do the same I suppose. There are two under there presently. I may ask when I take it in if they can put it there. If not I'll just do as in the past and move it myself. edit: I just read the regulation and found this: "When an inspection decal is issued for a motorcycle, it shall be affixed in an upright position on the left side of the steering fork sleeve at a visible location near the slider tube. The inspector/mechanic is not required to remove a previous-year issue inspection decal."

·
Registered
672 Posts
Oh yeah, he's full service on top of inspections. He installs trike kits, used bikes (2 and 3 wheel), accessories, tires, GoPro, about anything you'd like to have or need for the 1500 and 1800 wings. Greg is top notch in my book. Worth a 2.5 hour trip. Tell him Bill from Springfield CMA sent ya... wait he may charge you double, never mind :lol:
I've been there before, and had some work done. So I agree with the service. I guess I just never thought about an inspection. Nice ride down, to boot.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just a little something to keep an eye out for. I know of a few locals here in PA that put plates on their bikes for this purpose. Here in PA you must show proof of insurance when you get your bike inspected. It seems the unscrupulous people out there have figured out you don't need proof of insurance to get an inspection sticker. Just an adjustable wrench. They remove/steal the plate from someone elses bike, go home and put it on theirs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Inspection sticker

Although I am aware of where the law states the sticker should be placed, I have never done so on any of my Wings. I have always followed the recomended placement on any of our "cruiser bikes. I place the sticker inside the upper trunk of the Wings. I do not do this because they are ugly but because I believe, because of all the tupperware, that placed in the recommended location, the sticker would be very difficult for law enforcement to view. If stopped I would simply ask the officer if I could open the truk and he could easily view the sticker. This is just my opinion and I realize it might not be viewed in the way I intended. Ride aware, Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts