GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i install a garmin zumo xt on my 2016 goldwing 1800 without hardwiring it? im not vary mech inclined.the bike has 2 usb outlets 1 is 2.4vlt . the other is 5 vlt

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Is the USB port in the front pocket? I'd try the 5 volt, just make sure you have slack for turning.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Cigarette lighter plug soldered on end of Zumo wires and plugs into accesory socket in left pocket. You can buy either a 2 or 3 plug adaptor and plug into accessory socket first them XT into one of them and Bluetooth dongle into one of the others. Plug AUX into dongle and get voice directions over bike system.
The one I bought that works is posted in another thread.
I'd have to find that thread if you want to know.
Phone sucks to do that right now.

·
Registered
693 Posts
welcome to the forum. Guessing you're from Connecticut?

Moderator, it may be helpful to combine all three posts into one under General Discussion forum.

So, your ZUMO has: a micro-USB plug? a plain 12 volt cable harness with a fuse? a cigarette lighter type plug?

Inside the left front glove box you have a USB plug. You can add a cigarette light type plug in there as well. There is room for both; I have both in mine. You could also remove the USB and replace with a lighter plug. Or have both in the box and and connect a direct harness for the ZUMO.

To gain access, the trim piece along the edge of the fairing needs to be removed and there are four pins that can be removed that hold the glove box in place. The USB plug is probably just snapped into the glove box. The factory bike harness came with a an empty plug just below the glove box. Usually the lighter type plug is connected there but in your case, it's probably the USB plug. Once you have the box out, you can decide which way to go. Either use those plugs or factory harness or with the box out and the side cover off, you can run a fused wire straight back to the battery or the accessory post in the fuse box. There are you tube videos showing removal of the box.

This is similar to what you have:

·
Registered
693 Posts
BTW. I did use a small round file and and created a couple notches in the glove box door and the lip in the box itself. This makes it easier if I need to run a power cable out to some accessory.

·
Registered
693 Posts
And, if you don't already have an AUX audio input cable connected, do it while the box is out. Empty plug in harness right along side the above described power plug. Provides a standard headphone style plug for GPS, Phone, MP3 player, etc. Can be routed up to the bars or back inside that glove box.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
No matter how you wire it, make sure you are supplying the proper voltage to it. 5 volt systems don't do well on a 12 volt feed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts